• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Put a deposit on a new ATV!

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Saturday I went ahead and put a $500 cash deposit on a Lightly used Grizzly 450 with 51 miles on it. It was either that or a brand new leftover 2012 big bear 400. Currently waiting till Monday for the banks to come back with financing offers. However, while I'm waiting I went back to the website and saw a picture that has me a little worried. The exhaust on this ATV looks like it got VERY hot at one point. I'll post the picture here, what does everyone think? This isn't a done deal. I can go back in on Monday and demand the new big bear instead of the grizzly 450. Is this something I should worry about or is that color on the exhaust normal? We've got an '05 grizzly 660 on the farm, had it since new, and the exhaust still doesn't look like that after 8 years of being used pretty hard.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I had a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450 4x4. Great ATV's, only problem I had was the worthless dealership I had, and the finance company. If you have to finance it, and they mention GE. Money Bank or GE Capital, don't do it, go get your own financing from your own bank. GE Money or GE Capital whatever those thieves call themselves now do absolutely everything they can to make sure after your first year of ownership they screw up your account so they can repo your ATV. My Yamaha Dealer screwed me over on repairs on my Yamaha Rhino that I had, which they didn't even do the services on it they claimed to have done either. I'll never guy another Yamaha product it will be Polaris from now on.

The Yamaha Transmissions are the only reason I bought a Yamaha but it wasn't worth the pain from the finance company and the dealer to make it worth while for me to ever purchase a Yamaha again.

I really hope you have good luck with yours. My machine was ok, just the dealership was a rip off along with the finance company.

The exhaust on my Grizzly turned that color as soon as I took it out on a long trail ride. Its completely normal. My grizzly was very cold weather temperamental but I think that's normal for carbureted ATV's.

Last edited:

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds reasonable. that's pretty much the only reason I was looking at a Yamaha as well. I mean, that Grizzly 660 has been on the farm for 8 years now, being used pretty hard, and its never had any issues. Literally none. We change the oil and keep the air filter clean and that's it. Other than that it just keeps on running.

Been thinking more however, I'm gonna change anyways. With this being a used 2012, the Yamaha warranty is gone, which is probably why they were trying to sell me the extended warranty. If I get the new Big Bear with 0 miles, I'll at least have the 6 month warranty from Yamaha. Plus I like being able to shift.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I'm not knowledgable on the new Big Bears, but the old ones from the late 90's were great, they however were in 4WD all the time back then no way to disengage it, and liked the manual transmission in them. I think the new ones are automatics, but the CVT's in the Yamaha's are the best in the market as they keep constant belt tension which will make the belt last for years.

Depending on the price on that used 450, I'd definitely look at the Big Bear as well, usually if something is going to fail it will do it within the first few months. I got the 450 because it was smaller, yet still had enough get up and go to hit 45mph if I wanted, and was large enough to pull a small trailer for yard chores.

The Big Bear isn't built anymore though, 2012 was the last year for the Big Bear, the whole ATV lineup now is Grizzly regardless of what size.

The other issue with Yamaha is their Rhino is so far behind on updates its not funny. Like I said the only good thing is the transmissions LOL. I like the Polaris Ranger 900's because they're larger, they have a bench seat to hold 3 people, they have more cargo/towing capacity than the Rhino, and the Ranger also has Turf Mode which all of the Yamaha stuff lacks which quickly destroys a lawn not being able to unlock the rear differential.

Anyhow, I would seriously consider looking at a new ATV if the price isn't extremely cheap on that Grizzly 450.

Last edited:

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
The Big Bear has a 4wd system just like all the grizzlys now, and is still a Clutch-less manual 5 speed with reverse. It has fully independent suspension like the grizzly as well, has a pull-start backup that that 450 doesn't have...that actually adds a lot of peace of mind for me, having that backup. I'm not sure which year they switched up the 4wd system. But the one I'll be getting is a brand new 2012 leftover. They discontinued them for this year, so hopefully its still there tomorrow or I'm S.O.L

The brand new Big bear is only $100 more than the used 450.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Saturday I went ahead and put a $500 cash deposit on a Lightly used Grizzly 450 with 51 miles on it. It was either that or a brand new leftover 2012 big bear 400. Currently waiting till Monday for the banks to come back with financing offers. However, while I'm waiting I went back to the website and saw a picture that has me a little worried. The exhaust on this ATV looks like it got VERY hot at one point. I'll post the picture here, what does everyone think? This isn't a done deal. I can go back in on Monday and demand the new big bear instead of the grizzly 450. Is this something I should worry about or is that color on the exhaust normal? We've got an '05 grizzly 660 on the farm, had it since new, and the exhaust still doesn't look like that after 8 years of being used pretty hard.

Hmmm, that is the first thing I noticed right away in your photo...the exhaust seems to show it has had issues...jetting running rich or lean? And only 51 miles on it with issues? Are you getting a full warranty with that, Bro?

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm, that is the first thing I noticed right away in your photo...the exhaust seems to show it has had issues...jetting running rich or lean? And only 51 miles on it with issues? Are you getting a full warranty with that, Bro?
I have to check, Yamaha factory warranty isn't that good. Only 6 months. whether there's anything left or not I'm not sure. I had someone on another forum say it was normal for the yamahas as well.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The warranty doesn't start until you purchase the machine, if its a brand new machine the factory warranty starts the day you purchase it, not as the machine is sitting on the showroom floor from what I understand.

The Big Bears were discontinued last year that's correct. Sadly now they're all automatic transmissions LOL. My 08 Grizzly 450 had a recoil backup starter, guess they discontinued that too. I'd definitely get the new machine if its only $100 more than the used one that you have no clue how it was treated prior to being put back up for sale, it could have been a demo machine which you wouldn't want.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Talked to them some more today, apparently it still has the yamaha warranty in effect. It only has 51 miles on it, not really sure of previous history other than it was bought at an auction out of state. This makes me assume someone purchased it, couldn't afford it, and it got repo'ed and auctioned off by the bank. Either way I talked them into giving me the yamaha extended warranty. An extra 4 years of coverage on the whole ATV with no deductible. I pick it up tomorrow at 1pm. I'll make sure I upload some pictures! I will definitely be checking it over very thoroughly and hear it run before I sign anything.

hdmm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That is normal, nothing wrong with it, it discolors because of the material they use to make the muffler.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Talked to them some more today, apparently it still has the yamaha warranty in effect. It only has 51 miles on it, not really sure of previous history other than it was bought at an auction out of state. This makes me assume someone purchased it, couldn't afford it, and it got repo'ed and auctioned off by the bank. Either way I talked them into giving me the yamaha extended warranty. An extra 4 years of coverage on the whole ATV with no deductible. I pick it up tomorrow at 1pm. I'll make sure I upload some pictures! I will definitely be checking it over very thoroughly and hear it run before I sign anything.
Awesome, the whole extended warranty will definitely make up for the difference in cost and at 51 miles its not really even broken in yet. Sounds like it was a repo for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals