• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

push rod replacement - longer rods? lifters no longer available ?

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Even though I have a newly rebuilt 2.8L engine in my garage, this (original ?) 2.8L is still running okay after 265,000+ miles in this Bronco 2. Some results from the original compression test before I converted to points, then Duraspark II.

Compression Test: 2016-03-03
done cold after adjusting valves
#1 - 160
#2 - 143
#3 – 125
#4 - 145
#5 - 145
#6 – 140

Compression Test: 2021-11-25 hot
#1 - 185
#2 - 174
#3 – 179
#4 - 170
#5 - 155
#6 – 184

Compression Test: 2021-11-25
done cold after adjusting valves
#1 - 168
#2 - 180
#3 – 169
#4 - 149
#5 - 145
#6 – 181

I have the round hollow adjusters that uses a 7/16” nut – no jam nut – interference fit

Here is the problem, adjusted all the way down,

Cyl #5 – Intake valve – has no adjustment left – flopping around

Cyl #4
Intake and exhaust valves –have no adjustment left – flopping around

Since it has okay compression, I doubt the push rods are not on the lifter for #4 and #5, plus, I watched for movement #4 #5 intake when adjusting lash. Sounds okay running, just more ticking then I would like.

My problem is, I need more adjustment. So, the question is:

Has anyone used longer length rods to account for wear when there is no more adjustment left on the interference nut?

If so, what kind?

I am not sure replacing only the lifters on #4 and #5 on a well worn cam and engine would be a swell idea and I think just longer rods might be okay.

Besides, seems lifters are not to be easily found and RockAuto wants you to order 128 of them as a package.

I have driven it about 4,000 miles in 4 years. I mainly use it for towing a dual axle trailer for firewood and a sawmill, including off road. I rarely take it over 60 MPH or even close to 4,000 RPMs.

Any suggestions?

(-:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your adjusters look like this, and you’re out of adjustment?

You’ll have to pull heads to get the lifters out. When I removed mine, I couldn’t get them out from the top, once I removed the cam I had to drive them in and fish them out through the cam tunnel.

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
here is what I would do in your situation....

I would write to these guys and ask them the same question. they should be able to help you out.

cheers

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your adjusters look like this, and you’re out of adjustment?

You’ll have to pull heads to get the lifters out. When I removed mine, I couldn’t get them out from the top, once I removed the cam I had to drive them in and fish them out through the cam tunnel.
Thank you for the excellent picture. Yes, mine look just like that and same lower thermostat. I am out of adjustment and they are cranked all the way down. Two others are cranked down, but, they are barely making the .014 and .016. I do not see how the push rods could not be seated and still be making almost 150 psi cold, though maybe they are bent? I hate taking the covers off again, I just put a new set of valve cover gaskets and they do not appear to be leaking at the moment. I did double check the lash adjusters to make sure I was adjusting them on the correct stroke and went through both sides twice using a check list. Then I did the compression check.

The vehicle had 260,000+ miles on it before I traded (2) Mosin 91/30s for it, so, who knows what happened to it in that 30 years. I might have done #3 incorrectly the first time six years ago, mixed Intake with exhaust, because it made far more compression this time.

I hate pulling a motor that is still making decent power or removing the heads and camshaft if a push rod will do it.

I did find a Melling on Summit that looks promising MPR-349, 5/16 and 5.801 in long.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals