• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Push button transfer case electrical issues

SuperDave403

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've read many posts and we've done some diagnostics ourselves,but..... We have a 94 Ranger XLT 4.0 litre with dashboard electric shift. Push the dash button, nothing happens, no clicking. Dashlights "flicker" when key is turned on. Tested 4x4 module and LED Flashes. Voltage coming out of the module is 4.95v I know that this has probably been discussed, but could use some help pointing in the right direction. Thanks everyone.

zieg94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I had this same proplem over the winter. Have a friend start the truck and get under it with a small hammer. have the friend push the button while you tap the actuator motor with the hammer. that should free it up, sometimes they just stick.

juni88126

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Both my 92 ranger and the 93 bronco did that this winter. I had to remove the transfer case motors and clean out the dried grease that gets bound up in the motor. Just make sure to scribe a mark so that you get the cover back on in the right spot when you put it back together.

juni88126

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you look in the tech library under transfer case shift motor it tells you how he did it.

herb101

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think I have the same problem... I bought a tranfer case today and I stuck it under the truck and pluged it in and nothing happens. I tried my neighbors dash buttons and it still won't work. Behind the seat I found the 4x4 module and the LED that isn't on unless you push a white square button. After I push the button the LED stays on for about 30 sec but doesn't flash. I hear no clicking anywhere.

Would you hear clicking regardless if the 10 pin connector at the T-Case was pluged in or not pluged in? Would the dash lights also work with the T-Case unpluged? I only ask to help trouble for shooting. And yes, I do have the T-Case grounded directly to the battery if this helps.

The yard I bought this from they said it worked, it was a cash for clunker B4000 that looked very clean. I really don't feel like I bought a lemmon. Or perhaps I may also need to malletize it too to also get desired results.

Any thought? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

herb101

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I little further history I bought this truck with a 2wd trans so I'm trying to fully restore it. I now have all the parts I think, thanks to members on here who I am greatful for. So thats why I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. thank you

Last edited:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
They particular cables must be UNPLUGGED for the self test on teh module to work right. There is a writeup in the tech library, Also follow the wirign from your switch and make sure there arent any shorts or abd connections anywhere.

herb101

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I took the T-Case motor out and pluged the two wires to a battery and I got it to rotate. I did this by pulling out of the connector the orange wire and the yellow wire, and hooked up one to pos and the other to neg on a 12v power source and it worked. After assembly I connected it to the truck and all went well then it started going intermitten again untill it quit working. They system to include the lights on the dash and annunciator only work when I smack the motor on the t-case.

I know the it doesn't work now, but I am releived in just the fact that I'm not trouble shooting any more all I need is a motor. I thank you guys. :icon_thumby:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Next time take the motor out and take it apart, there is a writeup for htis, spray some cabr cleaner on a rag and wipe down teh copper brushes in the motor to eliminate any dirt and carbon, 90% of the time this is teh intermittent problem, ANd sometimes needs to be done more than once.

herb101

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, I seen the writeup that after the fact. This motor is garbage though cause the bearings on the armature are gone. No worries, $71 for a remanufactured one. To make matters worse, two of the three tamper bolt heads sheared off on the conductor disk cover.
Next time take the motor out and take it apart, there is a writeup for htis, spray some cabr cleaner on a rag and wipe down teh copper brushes in the motor to eliminate any dirt and carbon, 90% of the time this is teh intermittent problem, ANd sometimes needs to be done more than once.

Last edited:

Ricky B

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
IHC
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
A boomerang that doesn't come back-----is just a stick
At the risk of looking like a self-serving capitalistic whore, my wife and I invented this little gizmo last year. Might be a better, less expensive way to go for some of you here that are currently suffering from S.O.T.F hell. Or soon will.........:D

Ricky B

http://www.theshiftster.com/

(Btw, we're hosting some giveaways of the Shiftster on several other truck forums this month, and we would love to do one here as well......if the Admin's are up for it :icon_thumby: )

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
PM one of the moderators..............they will hook you up.

Joe_Roofer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
At the risk of looking like a self-serving capitalistic whore, my wife and I invented this little gizmo last year. Might be a better, less expensive way to go for some of you here that are currently suffering from S.O.T.F hell. Or soon will.........:D
That's pretty cool.....:)

Ricky B

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
IHC
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
A boomerang that doesn't come back-----is just a stick
That's pretty cool.....:)

Why thank you Sir.....and I just fired off a p/m to Ryan about doing a 'Giveaway' here for you guys. Hopefully he'll say Yes instead of No---'cuz my shrink still thinks that I don't take rejection very well...............:rolleyes:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals