• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Purple/White (reverse) wire for backup camera

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Cube,

It actually sounds like you are still a bit confused. But we're not sure what else to write in order to help you. Maybe once you start actually wiring it, you will figure out what were trying to tell you. If I wasn't so busy right now I would try to draw a diagram for you.

Let us know if you get it working.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cube901

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cube,

It actually sounds like you are still a bit confused. But we're not sure what else to write in order to help you. Maybe once you start actually wiring it, you will figure out what were trying to tell you. If I wasn't so busy right now I would try to draw a diagram for you.

I'm probably still confused. Maybe you're right. Maybe I do need a diagram to see. Could you show me the diagram?

cube901

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cube,

I made a diagram of what I think it should look like. Is this right?

Reverse Wiring.png

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That should work. I would do it differently and here is why.

The way you show it, the camera will only have power when the reverse lights are on. That means there will be a slight delay when you shift into reverse because the camera will need some time to start generating an image signal after being turned on.

If the red and black wire are the full length of the rca cable, I would ground the black wire somewhere under the dash and connect the red wire to a circuit that has power any time the key switch is in the run or accessory position. The radio's main power feed might be a good place to do that. It is already fused also. This way, the camera has power and is generating an image signal any time the key is on and there will be no delay when the stereo display is switched to camera, either automatically when you put the transmission in reverse, or if you have a button on the stereo to manually switch it to camera display regardless of what gear you are in.

cube901

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That should work. I would do it differently and here is why.

The way you show it, the camera will only have power when the reverse lights are on. That means there will be a slight delay when you shift into reverse because the camera will need some time to start generating an image signal after being turned on.

If the red and black wire are the full length of the rca cable, I would ground the black wire somewhere under the dash and connect the red wire to a circuit that has power any time the key switch is in the run or accessory position. The radio's main power feed might be a good place to do that. It is already fused also. This way, the camera has power and is generating an image signal any time the key is on and there will be no delay when the stereo display is switched to camera, either automatically when you put the transmission in reverse, or if you have a button on the stereo to manually switch it to camera display regardless of what gear you are in.

My camera hasn't come in yet, I just ordered it. It should be the right one. I'll see how to do this. Maybe it will be easy for me to do. I don't know.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
My backup camera (a metra unit) had a separate red wire in the RCA harness specifically for a headunit/display trigger input. It was internally tied to the +12v supply wire for the camera.

So all you do is power the camera off the reverse light circuit (switched +12V and a body ground) and tie said switched +12V to the head unit's reverse input. At least that's what I did...

FancieFink

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hi....Not to a actual switch but to a 12v switched source not constant. Kinda like the power wire to the radio only turns on when you have the acc/car on. That's what I'm trying to figure out is where does the purple wire go to? I'm thinking purple to a power source connected with the power lead from the camera and then the ground to chasis?

pcb assembly

Last edited:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You should be able to google a wiring diagram for the radio you purchased. Radios are fairly easy to install once you know what the wires go to. I wouldn't run it to the reverse lights. I would wire the camera to something like either a toggle switch on the dash or to the parking lights that way you can use it like an observation camera while driving instead of ONLY having the camera in reverse. Might as well make it more useful than just a back up camera. Here at work we wire cameras to the parking lights so its not ALWAYS on with the key on but you can still turn it on when you want. We get a call about once a month from someone saying their camera doesn't work and low and behold they forgot to turn on their parking lights lol.

sheliable

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You run a wire either to the Reverse light switch on the transmission or to reverse light wire at the back of the truck, and connect it to the purple wire.

The radios purple/white wire is connected to a sensor inside the radio, when it detects voltage on that wire, back up lights on, then display will switch to camera.
You can manually switch display to show camera on most models, the reverse wire just does it automatically.
This wire is NOT for powering the camera

On some Rangers there is a reverse light wire in the cab, but on most there is not.
Most only have what you need at the transmission or at the tail lights
Since you have to run wires from the back of the truck to the radio any way just run 1 wire for the reverse lights
RonD trying to run a cable now to my reverse light in the back of the truck. Any resources? I understand how to splice it into the reverse light but how do i run the cable from the cab to the rear?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The park brake cable usually has enough room around it to pass a wire thru the firewall

You can straighten a wire coat hanger and push it thru inside the frame rail next to gas tank then tape your wire to end and pull it thru to the back

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I ran mine across the windshield, behind the pillar trim on the passengers side, then back behind the glove box and out of the hole where the HVAC vacuum line comes into the cab. Then ran it down the frame rail to the tail light.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals