• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Purchasing 1st B2. Need advice

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Ford 2.9 Converted To 4.0 Clutch

I try to get my SHTF vehicles with manual locks, manual windows, standard transmission, manual transfer case, manual hubs aka XL.

I go a step further and convert to points/carbs and then once running correctly, to a Duraspark, for my Fords.

Just me...

....if I were moving to Mexico. Fullsize bronco with a np 435 and a 390 cfm 4bbl 300 six ....dura-suk ignition converted with Chevy parts....to make it a dura sux less sort of...and a mo-tronic back up ignition system....and crank pump for fuel.

Maybe a lima 2bbl bronco 2...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My problem hasn't been the power windows so much on my 1990, but rather with the power door locks. I've not once been able to keep either front door lock operational for more than a few months (the rear hatch lock however has been great lol). I don't know if it's dust or what, but after awhile the solenoid mechanisms start losing their *Oomph* to fully push the lock plungers up or down. Tried rebuilding the old lock actuators, tried replacing them with brand new ones. Same result either way (maybe it lasted a couple weeks longer with the new actuators). Tried lubricating the lock mechanisms too, no joy.

Agreed, the more things manual, the better.

Everything else about the BII has already been covered pretty good.
The Dana35 front axle (along with the 1354 transfer case) appeared midway through the 1990 model year production (those with a production date December 1989 & later IIRC). So not every 1990 will have a D35.

gstuartw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
TBD
Make / Model
Bronco II
Just me...

....if I were moving to Mexico. Fullsize bronco with a np 435 and a 390 cfm 4bbl 300 six ....dura-suk ignition converted with Chevy parts....to make it a dura sux less sort of...and a mo-tronic back up ignition system....and crank pump for fuel.

Maybe a lima 2bbl bronco 2...
Yikes! I am would be way over my head where that is concerned. I appreciate your response but I am a wrench turner by no means and frankly have little understanding about what you just offered! :)

Sounds like a great project though!

This vehicle is intended for quiet Sunday drives through a 500 year old town with narrow streets, cobble stones and tight turns. I'm just looking for a unique vehicle to drive out into the country for a nice meal. Throw into the mix that I intend on moving in the next 60 days I don't think I have the time to oversee such work in a shop if I could even find one I feel trustworthy of with such extensive work.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Then consider an explorer...2001 sport.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
How is the hunt going? Always exciting watching other people spend money!!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

gstuartw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
TBD
Make / Model
Bronco II
How is the hunt going? Always exciting watching other people spend money!!
Thanks for asking, still no purchase. The '89 I spoke of earlier was sold to another more committed buyer. The more recent '89 that I reported had less than 90K was not the case. When asked for the VIN the seller, the 3rd owner, seems to have "learned" that the odometer had rolled over. Big difference between 84K and 184K. I guess that's why the price dropped $500 to $8,995. I haven't seen enough photography nor seen the vehicle in person. All of this process is complicated by the fact that my wife and I are scrambling to get our house ready to sell so it's hard to take time away from that to drive an hour away or more to see a weekend vehicle.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Honestly with what you are talking about spending almost seems worthy to expand your area away from immediate and something like this you could pay 1500 or so in shipping and still be ok price wise.. just my opinion.

gstuartw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
TBD
Make / Model
Bronco II
Honestly with what you are talking about spending almost seems worthy to expand your area away from immediate and something like this you could pay 1500 or so in shipping and still be ok price wise.. just my opinion.

Thanks for the link, I've emailed them for more information. I've got a wide range on what I am willing to spend if it yields a good vehicle, at this point I'm willing to spend almost double from what I've been talking about.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
There are some clean ones around for sure…

gstuartw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
TBD
Make / Model
Bronco II
Ok B2 fans, here are two local vehicles I am considering. You should know that I have not see either in person. When it gets serious I'll probably use Lemon Squad.

87 w 134,000

89 w 184,000

Then there is this one on the other end of the price spectrum. As @RumPunch suggested "expand your area". Factoring the included towing the ask nets at about $18,500.

86 w 88,000

Preferences anyone?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok B2 fans, here are two local vehicles I am considering. You should know that I have not see either in person. When it gets serious I'll probably use Lemon Squad.

87 w 134,000

89 w 184,000

Then there is this one on the other end of the price spectrum. As @RumPunch suggested "expand your area". Factoring the included towing the ask nets at about $18,500.

86 w 88,000

Preferences anyone?
I'd probably go with the 89, but really checking why the paint looks so dull. Is it a home paint job that hides a bunch of bondo?

At the other spectrum end, that really close to the price of a base model new Maverick.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
My advice in general for getting a B2 to work on:

Realize that all seals, belts and wear items like that are shot. If you have something apart, replace everything. This goes for ball joints, oil seals, u-joints, injectors, body mounts, etc. Get the picture?

If I had it to do over again, I would have completely dismantled the truck, labelled everything and put it all back together. In the end it would have taken less time than the piece meal way I did it. I essentially pulled the whole thing apart anyhow.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Personally...id go for the 87.

The 89 has more miles and a tweaked front bumper...not that then bumper is a huge deal but it could indicate hard useage or an accident thats being covered up.

The 86 is beautiful, but the A4LD auto is a turnoff, and its also way to expensive for a weekend toy in my book.

The 87 looks (to me) like a decent kept unmolested original, which in my experence are usually the best ones to look for (even over restored pieces).

Also....why can i see FB marketplace without an account now but couldnt before? Friggin tech.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals