• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Purchased “new” cylinder heads

Ede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
D8F84DD2-096C-4484-B6FB-BF066107C007.jpeg
C09C205B-688A-4CF0-B2E3-8CF2EB1400BD.jpeg
E60433BA-8CF9-494E-9F60-A0075A67CB9E.jpeg
Purchased “new” heads from Allied Motor Parts. I had two choices, either remanufactured heads or new heads. I hope I made the right choice. The remanufactured heads are repaired by welding when a crack appears and of course they are machined flat as well. The new heads are supposedly a thicker casting and have new seats installed and the heads are made from a proprietary alloy. I paid $530 after the 10% discount code for the new heads which includes free shipping. The remanufactured pair are $540 with a $100 refundable core. The new ones are made in China. I wonder where the original ones were made? Does anyone have experience to share with the new heads?

Ede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
These are the remanufacture ones.
BD77C461-B206-4919-90C6-D62AC1A595CA.jpeg

ptf18

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford RangerEDGE
Transmission
Automatic
Ede...Thank you for your post. My '02 3.0l has been experiencing the dreaded cylinder "miss" for sometime. I'm very reluctant to purchase a set of remanufactured heads and I've wondered about the new ones you have purchased. From what I've read on the 'net about them, those that have used them are happy BUT.... until ALOT of miles are put on them we won't know for certain.

Any idea who the manufacturer of the valves, springs and retainers is? I was thinking that if those items are of an unknown manufacturer, if I purchases a set of these heads I would replace those parts with Ford manufactured parts (better yet if I could get the heads bare).

Keep us posted about these heads and how the install of them go.

Reactions: Ede

Ede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
[

Any idea who the manufacturer of the valves, springs and retainers is? I was thinking that if those items are of an unknown manufacturer, if I purchases a set of these heads I would replace those parts with Ford manufactured parts (better yet if I could get the heads bare).

Keep us posted about these heads and how the install of them go.
[/QUOTE]

i asked for a spec sheet for them and they didn’t have one or couldn’t specify parts used.

Here’s my reasoning for purchasing new: most everything is made in China today. I’ve ardently shopped for US manufactured goods and usually end up paying more in the end which I’m happy to do because of wanting high quality purchases. I try to buy motorcraft parts online and some reviews question authenticity. I looked up motocraft finewire spark plugs on eBay and some were being shipped from China. China has such a large manufacturing infrastructure they can make good things and junk. I will report back on their quality.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The original ones are probably Ford OEM parts... not sure exactly where they made 3.0 heads at but probably not China.

I wouldn't be too worried about using the new China heads. I'd trust those more than a reman set that has been cracked and "fixed"..... reman parts have such a terrible reputation recently that it might have been a one armed monkey who welded up the cracks... or it might have been someone with 30 years of experience who did a great job. You just never know and for the price it's just not worth the gamble.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
View attachment 89072View attachment 89073View attachment 89074Purchased “new” heads from Allied Motor Parts. I had two choices, either remanufactured heads or new heads. I hope I made the right choice. The remanufactured heads are repaired by welding when a crack appears and of course they are machined flat as well. The new heads are supposedly a thicker casting and have new seats installed and the heads are made from a proprietary alloy. I paid $530 after the 10% discount code for the new heads which includes free shipping. The remanufactured pair are $540 with a $100 refundable core. The new ones are made in China. I wonder where the original ones were made? Does anyone have experience to share with the new heads?
Made from a proprietary alloy? What is it? Cast iron?

Reactions: Ede

Ede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger

ptf18

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford RangerEDGE
Transmission
Automatic
Ede... Any idea if the valves are lapped to the seats? I've lapped valves many, many years ago on a couple engines I built up. Don't know if that is still being done on any engine. Cant imagine the big engine manufactures investing the time and $$ to do that process.

Ede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Ede... Any idea if the valves are lapped to the seats? I've lapped valves many, many years ago on a couple engines I built up. Don't know if that is still being done on any engine. Cant imagine the big engine manufactures investing the time and $$ to do that process.
My understanding about lapping is that it’s done more on a diy basis to mate valves to seats. The standard is a 3 angle valve job jn the industry. Everything has to be machined concentrically. All valve jobs should hold a vacuum.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals