• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pulley question

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I know what you're thinking....this guy's got the dumbest questions.
Anyway my 85 Grand Marq/Corwn Vic motor is missing the water pump pulley. (And all accessory brackets for some reason. Damn Leprechauns...) I am not using A/C or P/S so what engine do I need to look for to get a pulley? I would like to stay with a serp belt, but not sure what belt to get with only an alternator. And, would I need a tensioner pulley? If I went v-belt, I presume pretty much any 289/302/5.0 pulley system would work fine, and I am also sure that a belt would be easy to track down. But I would have to change the pulley on the alternator. And I don't know if the water pump spins the same direction as the crank or reversed as I have no memory of hoe the darn thing was on there with the A/C and P/S on the donor. Any of this make sense?

Il Brutto

02/2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it ain't broke...fix it before it does.
I believe the serp water pump spins opposite the vbelt pump. I had a rough time finding all the right accessory stuff when I built my 302, Ford made a lot of variations on that motor. Water pump pulley should be easy enough to find nearly any serp WP pulleys should work. May have to measure for the belt. I would start by looking for the same car/motor config first and go out similar from there, good luck.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The serp can spin reverse or normal rotation; how the belt contacts the pulley is where the difference is. If it's a ribbed pulley, it is clockwise standard rotation. If it's flat and rides on the back of the serp belt, it is reverse rotation. Compare to a pic of a reverse rotation water pump to verify, but I would assume it would be a standard rotation pump. I might have the pulley you need, but they are common to find at a junk yard.

Belts are fairly strait forward; the length is part of the part #. Just need to measure and build the part # you need, then pick it up at the part store.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Mine spins the same way as the crank. Supposed to be a ribbed pulley. Not having much luck finding a junker. Hate to shell out the $$ for a fancy billet one from March.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I think the full size cars (Crown Vic, etc.) were the only ones with serpentine belts and standard rotation water pumps, if that helps your search.

I have heard of many people just using a non-ribbed pulley.

Last edited:

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I guess I could if it had a recessed surface so the belt wouldn't slide off. Dunno if the smooth surface would mess with the ribs of the belt though. Oh well. It's what I get for not keeping up with all this junk in my garage.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
All the full sized Fords/LIncolns and Mercs used that setup. Some of the mid 80's T-Bird/Cougar used either the same of a hybrid setup (flat belt and vee) if memory serves me. I took one of these apart (an 84 I think it was) that was like that. The late 80's(to 91) big car setup grouped the P/S and Alternator together on one common bracket with the flat belt, that one definately has the pulley you're looking for.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Found one in a junker out in the boonies. for $20. I bet I hang on to this one.

EDIT: Score!! Also grabbed the alternator bracket and the windshield washer reservoir while I was there. Total cost for everything....$35, a few minutes and some blood.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
from briars or busted knuckles ? :D

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
from briars or busted knuckles ? :D
Knuckles. And burrs on brackets. The place I got it was sort of an old school yard. They don't just have stuff from 10 years ago and up. There was a 63 Impala two rows over. A pretty straight 1st gen Ranger 10 cars down from the one I was on. Several Explorers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals