• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Public Service Announcement...of sorts...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I wish I had known this two years ago...and I had been looking for a good source of information on this to share with others...if you haven't seen this it might help you or someone else prevent a life threatening event or maybe save you from losing a leg or two...

http://health.remedydaily.com/2016/05/11/everything-you-need-to-know-about-blood-clots/?src=fbfan_51806&t=fbsub_homeremedies&rp=20161023

The important thing to keep in mind is blood clots can happen even if you have no history or lifestyle factors...they can happen to you without any outward signs also but usually you get some indication of a problem.

Mine was ischemia in the calf muscle that I thought was due to a pulled muscle or possible nutrition issues. The doctor that did see me on this misdiagnosed the problem and if he had been on the ball things might have turned out very differently...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for bringing this up. More people should be aware of this.
Is this what happened to your leg? I got out of an arthroscopy for my left knee Friday and this is one of the things they warned me about.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, basically what happened to my right leg. I had a blood clot and it managed to cause a blockage that resulted in the artery rupturing an aneurysm.

This also happened in my left leg prior to the right but because I had some extra arteries in the left leg there was still sufficient blood flow to the lower left leg. When the right leg artery became blocked and blew out the aneurysm there were no extras so the blood flow was cut off.

If they had operated sooner I might not have lost the leg.

If the first doctor had diagnosed it properly I could have had a scan that would have found the aneurysms sooner and they could have repaired it before it ruptured.

The underlying problem was my blood was too thick and that might have shown up with a proper blood test and I could have started prevention sooner.

Did they tell you to take aspirin or some other blood thinner to try to prevent a clot?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, I'm taking low dosage aspirin [81 mg] for the next two weeks. The doc told me he found a bunch of damage to my knee....which doesn't surprise me because I've been complaining about my knees for 1/2 a decade. I'll be talking to him in 2 weeks and see what's what then.
I had a car accident when I was 16 and blew out my left knee then. The right knee compensated and it's down to bone on bone, now the left knee is following suit. It's to be expected but not welcome.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
They have made some progress in the joint and knee rebuild since I was diagnosed with a medial meniscus tear about 40 years ago. I chose not to have the "repair" done back then because it was a crap shoot whether the knee would be useful afterwards. Some of my friends had the surgery and it did not go well for them and they had to stop training...fortunately this is not North Korea where they might shoot you if you go lame...lol

I'm sure it would be a welcome relief if they could reduce or eliminate your pain...any problems with knees giving out?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If by giving out you mean I fall down...no. Over time [3 to 5 hrs] the pain gets worse, to the point I have to stop working. It makes it hard to make a living being I do exterior renovations, like siding, windows, capping, etc. Lots of ladder work and staging. I'm lucky I'm really good at what I do so those employers I subcontract to have some patience and let me work at my own pace. If my knees were good I'd be making a great living.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I have had problems with my legs in the recent past I have been to some very serious docs and had extensive blood work on many occasions it was weird id lose stamina in my legs and they would get very stiff it would be hard to stand for long periods but they couldn't find anything so I just changed my diet as best i could and I think I'm going to stop my tobacco usage all together I'm only in my 20s so the way I see it what I do now will make a difference in 30yrs health wise

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If by giving out you mean I fall down...no. Over time [3 to 5 hrs] the pain gets worse, to the point I have to stop working. It makes it hard to make a living being I do exterior renovations, like siding, windows, capping, etc. Lots of ladder work and staging. I'm lucky I'm really good at what I do so those employers I subcontract to have some patience and let me work at my own pace. If my knees were good I'd be making a great living.
Sounds like my life before the surgery...I managed to fall down a flight of concrete steps one night because my knee simply wouldn't support my weight. Once it healed properly that never happened again...

It was a good thing I had a few beers before that event...:beer:

I have had problems with my legs in the recent past I have been to some very serious docs and had extensive blood work on many occasions it was weird id lose stamina in my legs and they would get very stiff it would be hard to stand for long periods but they couldn't find anything so I just changed my diet as best i could and I think I'm going to stop my tobacco usage all together I'm only in my 20s so the way I see it what I do now will make a difference in 30yrs health wise
Sounds like you are on the right track to prolonging your life as best as you can.

Quitting smoking is much easier when you have a life threatening event to wake you up...mine came a bit too late but fortunately I was very active and always watched my diet...my eyes were able to watch every bit of junk food going down my throat from the vantage point above my mouth...:icon_rofl:

The experts are now claiming that poor nutrition and eating junk is more damaging than smoking so you will be getting a new lease on life just by diet...salt, sugar, and fat are way too predominant in our foods and going back to basics is a great approach.

But, as per usual, the experts change their story every few years and what was once considered bad for us suddenly becomes good for us...depending somewhat on the lobby efforts of the various food industry players...

No wonder our health is going down the tubes...:icon_confused:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If you can afford it, find a doctor who practices "Holistic Integrative Medicine" and get a full panel of diagnostic tests done. Your body will tell it's status if you have a doctor willing to do the tests. It costs more and they aren't covered as well by insurance. But if you want to know your health status, it's worth it.

I usually have 8 vials of blood drawn annually, plus urinalysis and even a saliva test. I take a few dietary supplements and even a couple prescriptions based on these test results. I have also improved my diet substantially over the past few years (though it isn't perfect). I am much healthier than ever before.

Good luck with the knees. I had a scare with my left knee recently. But that was corrected by getting orthotic insoles to deal with a bone spur on the bottom of my heel.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If you can afford it, find a doctor who practices "Holistic Integrative Medicine" and get a full panel of diagnostic tests done. Your body will tell it's status if you have a doctor willing to do the tests. It costs more and they aren't covered as well by insurance. But if you want to know your health status, it's worth it.

I usually have 8 vials of blood drawn annually, plus urinalysis and even a saliva test. I take a few dietary supplements and even a couple prescriptions based on these test results. I have also improved my diet substantially over the past few years (though it isn't perfect). I am much healthier than ever before.

Good luck with the knees. I had a scare with my left knee recently. But that was corrected by getting orthotic insoles to deal with a bone spur on the bottom of my heel.
Good to stay on top of things...it certainly is better than having a catastrophic failure of a major body part...I found out the hard way that so far we haven't reached the "Steve Austin" level of replacing body parts...regardless of what we read in the media.

But, then again, if you have the money you can buy pretty much anything...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals