• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pros/Cons of 3.0 Vulcan V6

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
My first new truck was an 04 Ranger. I worked at a Ford dealer for 42 years and I've never liked the 4.0 sohc because it's such an over complicated design, it looks like someone gave Rube Goldberg 10' of timing chain and told him he had to use it all. I drove a new regular cab, short box 4x4 with a 3.0,a 5 speed and 4.10 gears during lunch one day, thinking the 4.10's would make it tolerable. I headed up the ramp onto the interstate and crested the hill doing about 60 when I shifted into 5th. I immediately shifted back to 4th,headed back to the shop and ordered my Ranger with the SOHC. The 86 3.0 Taurus' had huge numbers of piston slap problems and we changed a lot of engines until they upgraded the pistons. Then the 87's started rolling in with broken off shore head bolts. Once that was fixed the worst problem we had was with the syncronizers which was inexpensive and quick to replace. The 3.0 is a good engine- for a passenger car or a 2wd that doesn't haul heavy loads or drive in hilly terrain. The guy who posted that his 2.9 Ranger wouldn't climb a hill probably had 3.45 gears, from my experience a 2.9 has a lot more low end torque than a 3.0 but they're both good engines. If the 3.0 has enough power to satisfy you, buy it and keep up with the maintenance.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My 2004 is basically the same, except 2WD and an auto. I know you think PA is flat, but on I78 west of Easton there’s a 2mi, 3.8% grade that makes every vehicle work. My Ranger will pull that in 5th at 75 no problem. I’m sure the OP from Wind Gap will know that road.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Uncle Gump, how is the overall fitment? Do you alter or modify the bumper mounts?
I didn't have to modify a thing... bolted right up. They do great work. I have their rear bumper also.... nice heavy duty piece too. If you ask... they will make the rear bumper from 3/16 opposed to the 1/8 inch.

Go to their site... they have a few options now... Like tube wings and also full front skid plate.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
My first Ranger was a '99 Supercab 4x4, 3.0, 5 speed, 3.73 gears.
Pros: Bulletproof, was good on gas for a 4x4.
Cons: Dangerously slow on the highway. Lots of hills in western PA.
I special-ordered it. If I had to do it again I would have sprung the extra $800 for the 4.0.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 3.0 is a great middle of the line engine, combining qualities of the other engines it was used concurrently with.

It has all the power of the 2.3 and all the fuel economy of the 4.0. And no, I didn't get that backwards.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My OHV 3.0 makes exactly 3/4 the power of the SOHC 4.0. For the 2 miles of timing chain they achieved 2 valves per cylinder all in a row, and gained nothing from the architecture change at all - it's a turd of a design. Even the pushrod 3.0 has slightly angled valves. While the 3.0 hp peak is a little higher, the power curve shape is about the same (i.e. gearing will fix that).

A 2 valve pushrod iron block V6 was never going to be fuel efficient, it was designed to be cheap. Can you imagine if you set out to design an OHC engine and came up with the 4.0, and couldn't even beat the hp/displacement of the Vulcan? Talk about fail.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My opinion is that the Ranger, in any engine configuration, should never have been equipped with higher than 3.73:1 gears. 4.10:1 is even better, at least in hilly country.

As far as the engine discussion, 2.3 ecoboost is better.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
My opinion is that the Ranger, in any engine configuration, should never have been equipped with higher than 3.73:1 gears. 4.10:1 is even better, at least in hilly country.

As far as the engine discussion, 2.3 ecoboost is better.
Turbos generally make everything better....

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
And I had a Taurus (wagon) with that engine and an automatic. The 3.0 is every bit as capable in a Ranger Supercab as it is in a Taurus. They weigh about the same.
the engine is almost the same, but the Taurus being FWD has less driveline loss. that makes a significant difference.
cams are different between the sedan and truck versions

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Depends on what you want out of the truck. For factory engines, there's varying levels of power and reliability. For a swap, sky's the limit.

Zachsdad69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Transmission
Automatic
Hope this engine will last him 100k . After that he can buy what he wishes as long he can pay for it. What you think about the new ranger and it's powerplant little turbo!

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I agree with PetroleumJunkie412 that the engine choice will depend on what you do with it. For a daily driver a 3.0 or 4.0 will be fine with regular maintenance with plenty of every day power to haul the trucks designed weight limits but if you are looking for show or a weekend cruise vehicle other options, V8 swaps, will give the best performance for that type of driving. If you live in snow country stay with stock options for an everyday driver since a V8 and no weight in the rear will make it almost impossible to drive safely in the winter.

While many think the 3.0 is slow it has the power to be a good engine as long as it is geared so the horse power and torque are in a usable range for the work load. These motors are really as useful as a 4 cylinder under 2500 RPM's stock but above that is where they shine... not so useful for a truck that should have the torque in the low RPMs and the HP in the low to mid RPM range. The 4.0 solved that issue being built as a truck engine but has some very weird quirks to go with it.

EDIT: Turbo's: these are great for cars, diesels or race cars/trucks this is because of what is called turbo lag. This is the time it takes for the turbo to spool up and produce air pressure to be forced into the engine. The biggest issue is that there is only 4 cylinder power to break inertia from a dead stop without either having a standard trans ( needing to slip the clutch a lot to control the power or basically power breaking to get the turbo to spool in an automatic... I believe the standard trans is not an option at the moment for the new ranger (?).

While turbos have there place in every day driving the engine must have enough torque to get the weight moving to start with before the turbo cna help produce any extra torque or horse power.

Try driving a turbo'd vehicle with the turbo disabled and you will understand what I am taking about.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Why is there no romulan 3.0?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals