• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Proper push rod length

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I am working on a 306 with GT40P heads, stock valves, Ford Racing lifters, Comp Cam, stock rockers. The block deck surface is OE spec but the heads were decked and the tops of the valve stems were cleaned up a bit. I mocked up my OE push rods to see how close they were. I was hitting my torque spec on several rockers before the push rod felt tension. I could still spin the push rod with little drag even after the torque was set to spec. The lifters are new and they soaked for several days prior to the test. At this point I am sure I need longer push rods but wanted to get a few opinions from forum members here. This is my first build and I want to be sure I am not missing something first.

Both the intake and exhaust valves were closed when I torqued the rockers. What I am finding confusing is that I am still scratching a center patch on the top of each valve stem where I marked it with a Sharpie. Thoughts?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wouldn't make sense for stock push rods to be too short if head was shaved a bit or even just surfaced, they would then be long.

You should be able to spin push rod on closed valve/cam neutral, but not move it up or down.
It means push rod is being pressed down by rocker on to lifter spring enough to prevent play but not enough to cause bottoming, and a floating valve at high RPMs.
So spinning good, play bad

With all rockers torqued, I would manually turn the engine over a couple of full turns then check push rods, that should pump the lifters for a better check.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Wouldn't make sense for stock push rods to be too short if head was shaved a bit or even just surfaced, they would then be long.

You should be able to spin push rod on closed valve/cam neutral, but not move it up or down.
It means push rod is being pressed down by rocker on to lifter spring enough to prevent play but not enough to cause bottoming, and a floating valve at high RPMs.
So spinning good, play bad

With all rockers torqued, I would manually turn the engine over a couple of full turns then check push rods, that should pump the lifters for a better check.
I did spin the engine over two cycles and it did seem to tighten up a bit. But from everything I have read on line I formed the opinion that there should be some tension on the push rods prior to hitting torque at 1/4 turn to 1 full turn without spinning the engine.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Priming the engine with a drill is the easy way to pump up the lifters.

Swapping my cam ans roller rockers, I needed longer pushrods. Because they are still pedestal mount, I spent some time with some shims to get the preload exactly as I wanted.

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I actually just ran into the same issue on my build. Checked the lifter that came out of the explorer motor and compared it to the new Ford Racing lifters we installed and the new ones were actually shorter. Reinstalled the explorer ones and just said screw it. Not sure why they are different but in my case they were.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I actually just ran into the same issue on my build. Checked the lifter that came out of the explorer motor and compared it to the new Ford Racing lifters we installed and the new ones were actually shorter. Reinstalled the explorer ones and just said screw it. Not sure why they are different but in my case they were.
Thank you very much for the reply. I thought of this as a possibility but dismissed it as not likely. I am going to go ahead and compare the new Ford Racing lifters to the OE Explorer lifters and see if they are different in my case as well. I probably would not have done it if you had not posted a reply. Thanks again.

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The camshaft base circle will also play into push rod length. An after market cam may have a smaller base cirle causing the lifter to ride lower in the bore.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
The camshaft base circle will also play into push rod length. An after market cam may have a smaller base cirle causing the lifter to ride lower in the bore.
True, very possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals