• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Proper packaging, please!

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know that everyone probably already knows this, but I can speak from first-hand experience......

Please, when shipping something through any of the common carriers, take the time to package it securely!

I work for the USPS, and since coming back to work after a long battle with cancer, have been working in the "re-wrap" area of our facility. What we do there, is try to repackage items that have had their various shipping containers (boxes, mailer sleeves, whatever) damaged in processing.

It's not so much the small, soft items.....it's stuff like car parts, and heavy items like that, or something with a lot of weight for it's size. A little "over-packing" can go a long way, trust me. Especially with so much automation in use.....machines just don't care if they mangle something.

It's not just "us", but UPS and FedEx also.......take the time to ensure it gets there in good condition.

When I'm shipping something, I use lots of foam "peanuts" and even do a small "overstuff" to make sure there's as little wiggle-room as possible. Then when taping the box shut, don't use masking tape or scotch tape. I use at least 2 strips of that fiber-reinforced "strapping tape" each way, all the way around the package. Or that clear packaging tape works good, too. If you do the taping before putting on the addresses and stuff, you won't have to worry that the tape will cover some part of it.

Also, it helps to put all the shipping info inside the package, "just in case". Your name & address, and the name & address of the recipient. On the outside, over the addresses, use some clear tape to help protect them from possible smears or something else that might make them unreadable.

Just something to keep in mind, I guess.

Sicktight722

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I work for UPS and I agree with you totally! I also get a ton of wood boxes that have pumps and stuff in them with only the lids on with staples, dunno why they can't put screws to how the lids on.

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What amazes me is some of the stuff we "send to ourselves"....postal supplies coming from the Materiel Distribution Center, going to various other facilities....is about the poorest-packaged stuff we encounter.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Ratdog........got it!

Gad you made it thru the cancer treatments.....keep in touch with Jesus C.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yea I ordered a friend some killer retro Grateful Dead pint glasses for Christmas and when the mail carrier chick showed up she said, " your not going to be happy dude" You could hear the glass was smashed and so was the box. The box was the thinnest cardboard I ever saw and way oversized for the item, plus they just put bubble wrap on the bottom and pitched in the item. Two of the four glasses survived and the company said keep em and refunded my money within 24 hrs. So I guess I got 2 free sweet pint glasses out of the deal, I just had to rally to get her another gift in time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals