• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project. Where to start?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The XLT doesn't look bad. With all the mice stuff in there I'd skip it completely you just never get that smell out, its most likely in the dash and vents and tubes too. Go to a pick a part and grab a set of hubs for the Eddie Bauer and run it. The automatic is the major negative with these, but if you can get it rebuilt properly and spend the extra couple bucks to have it upgraded they're not too bad...had the A4LD rebuilt in my 88 EB about 3 years ago, haven't had any trouble at all, also had an auxiliary transmission cooler added as well. The auto hubs can be a PITA too LOL. I think you can get a kit to convert to manual hubs. My 88 EB has manual hubs and even those aren't fail-proof, but less prone to fail. Replaced both mine a couple years ago for $150 a pair from Mile Marker if I recall.

Whichever way you go, just take the time to do it right. Seen so many 1/2 assed attempts running around that just look like well shit no other way to put it. Even if you do use it offroad, maintain it, and keep it looking good, fix what needs fixed and drive it, that's what they're for. I love driving my Bronco 2, as well as my 87 Ranger, just something about these old RBV's just makes them so much fun to drive.

tcoe99

Reaction score
I hear ya on the mice! I just couldn’t pass on the xlt. Dude wanted 500$. And the body is in really good shape. I’m a sucker for all the small SUV’s. I usually run them until they break sell for parts, while other guys spend thousands on sxs and quads I’m just putting through the mud with a heater and a radio 😁. Out of the 2 one fantastic little mud buggy will be made

tcoe99

Reaction score
Well the black xlt has been a puzzle to say the least! He told me the only problem mechanically that it had was they stripped the start bolt threads. Not entirely true. He had a starter that was not meant for this ol girl and he just used regular bolts that where just too small. Swapped it out right bolts in turns over like a champ. No fuel pump action now! Chased power back to pump and it’s is dead. There has been a lot of wire splicing and connections and wires going well. Nowhere! Ripped the pump out of the Eddie and voila pump runs. I’ve attached a pic of the previous wire job to the pump. A massive storm came in so had to abandon for the night. Have to drain and clean tank purge out lines swap filter and it should be purring tomorrow 🤞

Attachments

tcoe99

Reaction score
The xlt is running! It drives and trans shifts flawlessly. Now to tackle the lift swap so my tires will fit. There was only 1 dead mouse also so that’s a bonus. Thanks for the insight I think the xlt will make a pretty decent truck to bomb around in 👍

tcoe99

Reaction score
Any good ideas on how to remove the leafs? I’m about to start cutting bolts!

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well the black xlt has been a puzzle to say the least! He told me the only problem mechanically that it had was they stripped the start bolt threads. Not entirely true. He had a starter that was not meant for this ol girl and he just used regular bolts that where just too small. Swapped it out right bolts in turns over like a champ. No fuel pump action now! Chased power back to pump and it’s is dead. There has been a lot of wire splicing and connections and wires going well. Nowhere! Ripped the pump out of the Eddie and voila pump runs. I’ve attached a pic of the previous wire job to the pump. A massive storm came in so had to abandon for the night. Have to drain and clean tank purge out lines swap filter and it should be purring tomorrow 🤞
The connector is readily available, what some people will do... In the Bronco II world the worst person we know is the "previous owner" :)
Fuel pump connector

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Any good ideas on how to remove the leafs? I’m about to start cutting bolts!
I'd like to hear this answer as well. It looks to me like a sawzall is the answer. If the tank is out a torch?

tcoe99

Reaction score
I hear ya on the previous owner thing jerryc! Trail and bush fixed usually 😂. I’m guilty of it too.
1 bolt has claimed 3 sawzall blades and 1 grinder wheel. I have to go to town get more wheels and those leafs are gone

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals