• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Progress: 88 StX 4x4 w/ Buick 3.8Turbo powerplant swap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello All!
Back into a build scheme with my 16 year old's project purchase an 88 Ford Ranger Supercab STX 4x4 . He loves the original square body Ranger and wanted to use it as the start of the build.

Pros : for build choice parts
We have a complete '80 Monte Carlo Turbo 4BBL engine, harness etc.(Buick Draw-thru 3.8L disassembled by me 25 years ago, needs rebuild); an 85 Cutlass 3.8 NA 2bbl/ TH200 still assembled and stored 20 years ago w/ spare 4BBL Weiand intake and his recent project shell purchase w/complete shell, good glass, 90% complete dash, w/power windows & doors, Solid body, locking hubs, & 2000 Explorer 3 spoke Chrome Steel 16" wheels w/ 235/70R16 AT's.

Cons: Minimal rust over rear fenders, It has Mangled wiring, missing AC components and radiator, punched steering column but no engine, no manual trans, no t-case.

Here's the thought process:
Needs a few interior trim pieces, Left front reproduction fender, carpet, front seats & headliner, steering column (Open on this) and a full new/swapped wiring harness.
Also Thinking about an 89-92 Ranger Dash swap for the aesthetics.

Engine:'85 231 Long Block w/ Weiand 4bbl from 85 Cutlass - (later to use 80 MC Draw-Thru carb'd setup on this block and heads)
Transmission & Tcase : Thinking 4.3L S-10 5 spd T5 Borg Warner & manual transfer case; would likely require custom driveshafts
Needs whole wiring harness (new or from donor vehicle)

My biggest issue right now seem s to be finding Any easier transmission swap ideas for 5 speed & transfer cases? Also open to the idea of using Chevy 1500 '64" ' rear leaf springs to improve the ride in place of the stock Ford units (6" longer springs- could allow us to reposition the rear axle centerline back also.)
I can't find an adapter for the Buick to Ranger Mazda-based M50D transmission & manual transfer case which would help solve the driveshaft issues. This is such an amalgamation, I''m not sure to look for help here on the Turbo Buck boards or on the Ford Ranger boards.

Thanks in advance for any input! Ill post as we build this summer, AFTER he finishes his Eagle Scout Project
BTW:
Once he gets it going as a daily driver/college car, he wants to eventually build a flat-fendered late 40's to early 60's Willys Extended Cab pickup and bed to remove the Supercab Ranger body from it..

Attachments

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
You may have to look at Novak or Advance Adapters and go with a T19 or SM465.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know I can go from a BOP to Chevy adaptor for a 4.3L trans. Not sure on the details of how to make it all work yet…

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you can get to a normal Chevy bolt pattern then I would try to use a trans from an S10 or maybe one from a full size truck, I think they are an NV3550 or something like that. Tcase from those applications would also work since they are driver drop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Might they also have been available w/ manual t-case versus the electric (trying to avoid as much electrical computer issues as possible on this)?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yep, definitely available with manual tcases

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into this route!

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> 2000 Explorer 3 spoke Chrome Steel 16" wheels w/ 235/70R16 AT's

I thought that year used hub-centric wheels?

I doubt the Dana 28 will hold up to even a mild V-8 putting out 200+ HP and 350+ FP

I hate seeing people put GM drive trains into a Ford or a Ford drive drive into a GM. Though if you like your hot exhaust manifolds over your spark plugs, go for it.

If I was intent on creating an abomination on 4 wheels, I would probably look for an AWD Chevrolet Astro to get it going and go to a Jeep straight front axle passenger side drop to seal the deal.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I would just put that 3.8 into an S-10 and call it a day. My buddy had a Buick or Cadillac, I can't remember now, 3.8 in an s-10 and that truck would scoot along pretty good.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I’m not interested in worrying about the Ford vs Gm thing here. He’s a kid who beats to a different drum & doesn’t worry about fitting in- he likes being different. It’s a challenge to him and wants to do a project with parts his grandfather and I collected. Plus, he eventually wants to learn welding and bodywork and build an extended cab Willys pickup (40’s to 60’s) on this. Chassis dimensions and capabilities allow him to do this and make it fit “right” in his mind. He didn’t want a Wrangler or a Cherokee. I know how great the Rangers are as I drove 3 & hated the S10 Supercab 4x4!my dad once had. We looked for a 3.0 5 spd SC 4x4 in his budget for about a year. This was a shell in need of ‘reincarnation’, and we have the Buick parts. {Why can’t a car enthusiast just be an enthusiast? Regardless of brand? The Turbo Buick boards have no issues w/ Hybridized vehicles with Buick Drivelines…..}
We are Ford/Dodge/Buick and Subaru enthusiasts in this family. Car fun is car fun as we see it!

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Oh good lord... it's a piece of iron inside a sheet metal container. Who cares who made it.

The only engine swaps I am not really a huge fan of are SBC swaps into anything older... I get that it's the easy button but cmon...be creative. A 350 with an Edelbrock 4bbl and a Turbo 350 is about as cookie cutter as you can get.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> 2000 Explorer 3 spoke Chrome Steel 16" wheels w/ 235/70R16 AT's

I thought that year used hub-centric wheels?

I doubt the Dana 28 will hold up to even a mild V-8 putting out 200+ HP and 350+ FP
Not sure if they’re hubcentric. Currently coming off my 05 Highlander as my winters and onto his project.
The Dana 28 will be fine as a DD for him w/ the non turbo 3.8. Carbed turbos only made 175-185 HP & 260-280ish FLb torque. IF he gets it built more or considered wheeling it, we’ll find a Dana 35 for it eventually.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I’m not interested in worrying about the Ford vs Gm thing here. He’s a kid who beats to a different drum & doesn’t worry about fitting in- he likes being different. It’s a challenge to him and wants to do a project with parts his grandfather and I collected. Plus, he eventually wants to learn welding and bodywork and build an extended cab Willys pickup (40’s to 60’s) on this. Chassis dimensions and capabilities allow him to do this and make it fit “right” in his mind. He didn’t want a Wrangler or a Cherokee. I know how great the Rangers are as I drove 3 & hated the S10 Supercab 4x4!my dad once had. We looked for a 3.0 5 spd SC 4x4 in his budget for about a year. This was a shell in need of ‘reincarnation’, and we have the Buick parts. {Why can’t a car enthusiast just be an enthusiast? Regardless of brand? The Turbo Buick boards have no issues w/ Hybridized vehicles with Buick Drivelines…..}
We are Ford/Dodge/Buick and Subaru enthusiasts in this family. Car fun is car fun as we see it!
I totally understand that sentiment. I was just speaking on simplification. If that's not in the cards, so be it. :icon_hornsup:
Because of my good buddies affinity for the Cutlass Supreme, I am a fan of the G-body cars too and those Buick Grand Nationals are hard AF. For what it's worth, I've read here, on TRS, the Ford 3.8 v6 is a direct attempt to copy the Buick 3.8 v6, so there's that tid bit.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@HadASplash/XLTSC:

Assuming you can find an S-10 T-5 4x4 transmission, they have the "standard" 23 spline/6 bolt round transmission to transfer case, so you would have lots of options (NP231 would be dime a dozen, driver's drop, lots with manual shifters).
There are a number of examples of individuals mounting Mustang T-5s behind 5.0s, you just need to duplicate the slave cylinder should you want to maintain the hydraulic clutch.

The 280ft.lbs. of torque is the issue; 4.3 T-5s were only rated for about 220-230ft.lbs. Just remember, you can break it, so don't drop the clutch/power shift. (Lord knows I busted enough T-5s).

Driveshafts are probably custom.

I'm minorly surprised that a Supercab STX High Rider 4x4 would have Dana 28 (OK, its Ford, so, not complete shocked).

Curious on why you want to move axle back. It's a truck, it not supposed to ride like a Caddy. 6" back starts to have issues with getting beyond the spring arch. (You can swap the spacers and the axle stop block and move the bump stop though and sort of make it work).

All years Ranger wheels are technically hub centric - if they were lug centric, wheels would mount on unthreaded part of wheel studs and you would have flat, not cone lug nuts. But as we are talking a light duty vehicle, even if the weight of the vehicle is held by the threaded part of the studs, not the hub, it very rarely fails (not so true with aluminium spacers though).

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
@HadASplash/XLTSC:
I'm minorly surprised that a Supercab STX High Rider 4x4 would have Dana 28 (OK, its Ford, so, not complete shocked).
Every 4x4 prior to 1990 had a D28. As long as the u-joints don't spit a cap and the slip yoke is still slipping they will last a surprisingly long time... I wheeled one with 33's for a few years and didn't break it. On the other hand I had another truck with 33's on it and I broke two hubs, an inner u-joint and an outer shaft and u-joint in the span of 10 minutes... in 10 feet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals