• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project "Slippery Slope" - 2011 FX4

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" New Torsion Keys, Added Rear Leaf Springs (Suspension Only)
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Couple of more photos while working - - as the paint is a two-part (actually three-part) product, the working life is only about 8 - 10 hours, which seems like a long time, but it goes by quick . . . You can add acetone or MEK to thin and extend the life, but it's not something you can close the lid and expect to be able to use it again the following week - - and that led to some interesting pieces getting coated. Partly because I hated the idea of wasting any product (this stuff ain't cheap) and might as well add some more "visual interest" to the rig while executing this project - - more on those items to follow. . .

Grill and small bits:
Monsta-Acessories (JUL 20).jpg

Sideview:
Monsta-Sideview.1 (JUL 20).jpg

Fender Flare:
Monsta-Fender Application (JUL 20).jpg

All in all, the paint on the rig was in very good condition - - some scuffs and scratches on the fender flares, and my guess is that the P.O. might have towed it behind a motorhome, as the front bumper, grill, sideview mirrors, and windshield all look like they've been lightly sand-blasted - - not too bad, but noticeable. And as mentioned, the leftover epoxy on the hood, and my questionable efforts to remove it, made me determined to correct that problem area.

More coming,

Paul

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Haven't seen the Funny Pages in a while. thanks:icon_thumby:

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Haven't seen the Funny Pages in a while. thanks:icon_thumby:
Yeah, just doing my part to raise the literary I.Q. of the site. . . Actually, the Sunday comics section from the local fish-wrap uses thicker stock than the rest of the paper, so that gets set aside for painting projects.

One of the items that was slated for Monsta-Liner was the new rock sliders I mounted up a few weeks ago, but after test fitting them on the truck decided to leave them black.

Coated the underside of the rockers where the sliders bolt up:
Monsta-Sliders (JUL 20).jpg

And then rolled the liner to coat the inner door jambs:
Monsta-Door Jamb.1 (JUL 20).jpg

Did some other small stuff too, like the lower "chrome" section of the Ranger emblems on the front fenders:
Monsta-Emblem.1 (JUL 20).jpg

Paul

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Now just putting everything back together. . .

Monsta-Front Light Detail.2 (JUL 20).jpg

Knew when I wired the front and rear LEDs, as well as the "Raptor" lights into the grill that all that stuff would need to be removed in order to execute this project, so the reassembly took some time, but always a chance to improve the build.

Front end back together:
Monsta-Grill.1 (JUL 20).jpg

Hood not closed (gap), but you can see the coating on the hood lip, concave hood centerline, as well as grill, headlight surrounds, and bumper.

Another shot of the front end showing some of the accessories that also got a coating of Monsta-Liner (tow hooks, license plate frame, and skid plate[!]):
Monsta-Hooks - Skid (JUL 20).jpg

Mentioned earlier that the desire to use the bulk of the product led to interesting choices for applying the Monsta-Liner, so decided to coat a few skid plates, and the torsion key covers. . . I know, I know, seems more like a "show truck" choice than an "overlanding" choice, but think they came out well:
Montsta-Torsion Cover - XFer Plate.1 (JUL 20).jpg

Paul

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
That looks real sharp, especially the front skid plate.

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Couple more re-assembly photos, red-on-red:
Monsta-Rocker - Flare.1 (JUL 20).jpg

Didn't take the product all the way up to the "fold" of the sheet metal, just about 3-4" above the bottom of the rocker.

Another accessory painted was the wheel hub covers - - black rims, black tires, this added some color:
Monsta-Hubs (JUL 20).jpg

Added Ford emblems to the hub covers - - nothing against Pro Comp, just rather make it look OEM.

Last addition was a set of opposing flag stickers for each door:
Flag (JUL 20).jpg

Glad I opted to leave the sliders black - - definitely ties the black components (rims, sliders, flag stickers) together.

Bored you with enough garage-based photos, will take a few more pics out in nature to wrap this project up.

Paul

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What do you think of that front skid plate? Is it worth anything or would it be better to just get an after market one? The one on my 2019 isn't too bad. It could be better but it came with the truck, so it's already paid for.

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Pretty sure mine is OEM as part of the FX4 package, came with the vehicle when I bought it. It's mildly built, but best to say you'd destroy the bumper and front facia before it had a chance to prove itself. . . Think it may be better suited for an aftermarket bumper without the plastic front facia-piece. If it wasn't there already, I wouldn't go out and buy one with if my plans included keeping the stock fender. Granted, you could ease the stock bumper over a rock and center it on the skid plate, and it will certainly help there.

Think a guy with some welding chops could reinforce this skid plate to work for rock crawling or hard-core wheeling without too much effort.

Still glad to have it, and it works for my overlanding plans for the rig.

Paul

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Tested out the Monsta-Liner in the wild today, hate working on projects and then parking the vehicle, so out to the forests around Mount Rainier. . .
Rainier Tail (JUL 20).jpg

Probably one of the few reasons (in the background) of why we haven't actively started looking for another place to live. . .
Rainier Hood (JUL 20).jpg

One more:
Rainier Passenger.2 (JUL 20).jpg

Paul

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Tested out the Monsta-Liner in the wild today, hate working on projects and then parking the vehicle, so out to the forests around Mount Rainier. . .
View attachment 45799

Probably one of the few reasons (in the background) of why we haven't actively started looking for another place to live. . .
View attachment 45800

One more:
View attachment 45801

Paul
I spent a few months at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard before i git out if the Navy. Really enjoyed exploring northwest Washington. I would really enjoy living there.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Pretty sure mine is OEM as part of the FX4 package, came with the vehicle when I bought it. It's mildly built, but best to say you'd destroy the bumper and front facia before it had a chance to prove itself. . . Think it may be better suited for an aftermarket bumper without the plastic front facia-piece. If it wasn't there already, I wouldn't go out and buy one with if my plans included keeping the stock fender. Granted, you could ease the stock bumper over a rock and center it on the skid plate, and it will certainly help there.

Think a guy with some welding chops could reinforce this skid plate to work for rock crawling or hard-core wheeling without too much effort.

Still glad to have it, and it works for my overlanding plans for the rig.

Paul
So, pretty much the assesment I have with the skid plates on my 2019 FX4. Better than nothing but could be better. Thanks.

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
I spent a few months at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard before i git out if the Navy. Really enjoyed exploring northwest Washington. I would really enjoy living there.
Well . . . .

This isn't the "Tailgate", and not sure how long ago you were stationed here, but suffice it say, the region has changed, and not for the better in my opinion. . . Was stationed at Lewis 25 years ago, and this is where we decided to live. Been back for 14 years, and the lunacy has become increasingly rampant. Like most places, a small minority, but annoyed to even be associated with this part of the "Left Coast". It's a beautiful region, Cascade Range, Puget Sound and the islands, etc., but the "one-party system" (only in the population centers), drives all politics and is destroying the quality of life and social fabric of the region.

Rant off, won't comment again on it for this thread. . . , maybe time to head down to the "Tailgate". . .

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Well . . . .

This isn't the "Tailgate", and not sure how long ago you were stationed here, but suffice it say, the region has changed, and not for the better in my opinion. . . Was stationed at Lewis 25 years ago, and this is where we decided to live. Been back for 14 years, and the lunacy has become increasingly rampant. Like most places, a small minority, but annoyed to even be associated with this part of the "Left Coast". It's a beautiful region, Cascade Range, Puget Sound and the islands, etc., but the "one-party system" (only in the population centers), drives all politics and is destroying the quality of life and social fabric of the region.

Rant off, won't comment again on it for this thread. . . , maybe time to head down to the "Tailgate". . .
I was there from January to May in 1988. It was cool to wake up in the morning, go up topside and see Mt. Ranier in the distance. Did some hiking and camping in the Olympic mountains and Dungeness St. Park.

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Work day to finally replace the leaky stock thermostat housing. . . I'm a Ford guy, but who at the Blue Oval thought this plasticky-thing was a good engineering option?
Thermo Housing.2 (AUG 20).jpg

Forgot to take a photo pre-demo, but you can see the scaling between the two pieces.

Got the link for Simmons Autosportz from lurking on this site, here it is for anyone interested: https://simmonsautosportz.com/products

Buttoned up:
Thermo Done (AUG 20).jpg

Paul

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Now that you did that, when was the last time the external chain adjusters were changed? Do you know it's recommended to change them every 70,000 miles? I didn't until after I did the thermostat housing swap and changed the engine coolant. I got a bit of time yet to do it but I was not happy hearing about it after I did the work I did.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals