• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project RedBull

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
I hereby dub this project, Project RedBull...on a count of my truck being known as the "RedBull Ranger"
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52058

THE VECHILE:
1992 Ford Ranger XLT Ext. cab
3.0 V6 5spd
~200,000 miles

My truck when I first bought it; the fugly cap, flag mirrors, and old 14's.

My truck with 30's on jeep steels(will be the winter set up when I get new rims and tires), chrome mirrors, and no valance.

THE PLAN:
-Maintain it until time turns it to sand
-Touch up paint
-Weld rear end or 7.5 or 8.8 w/ L/S with 3.73 or 4.10
-Fogs, if I ever get them to work

CURRENT MODS:
-Attempted to do a lightning exhaust a while back with a Dynomax Superturbo muffler, failed
-Homemade T-handle
-Half done custom CAI, probably will never finish
-Gauge cluster w/tach
-Removed swaybar

Last edited:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Well, my tranny has been showing signs of it starting to go, slipping in 3 and 4, but I'm trying to get it to last until the big rebuild next winter...crossing my fingers. But until then, Im having my junior biotch at school make me a custom t-handle, go being a senior:headbang:. Sorry, I dont have any pics because according to the school board, cameras could be a disguised bomb or something. But I promise as soon its done I will put up pics. Its gonna be made out of brass with points on the end and some knurling/grooves, and a half shifter boot, thats already done. It should turn out nice.

Also, I'm starting to plan my CAI and hood inlet...and still looking for the gen1 probe rims, ANYONE GOT ANY?

Last edited:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Nice truck, I have a 88 supercab, it's ugly and rusted, but I love driving it around and playing the radio, my wife thinks i'm crazy because I dont drive her 96 chevy car anymore, sence I traded for this old truck.

Robert

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Well, I've come up with two plans for the CAI I'm making. The first is to utilize the stock air box with a drop in K&N filter and reroute the intake to the box to a inlet on the hood. OR I use a cone filter with the MAF mod and a custom heat shield to help with the heat from the engine, and a hood inlet to get air to the cone filter.

The first is probably easier, but the second with the cone filter makes a cool noise. What do you guys think?

Also, I did some research on performance stuff for the 3.0 on rogueperformance.com, and added it to the plans list.

Last edited:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Well free labor isnt always the best way to get things done, cause my junior biotch is taking forever to get done. But by the way it looks now, it should be real super:icon_thumby:

On a side note, my clutch is so terribley worn...its :icon_twisted:. Im still looking for rims and Im kinda leaning towards my first CAI plan. I plan on putting my valance back on as soon as I get the bolts. pics then...

Last edited:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Still no shifter:annoyed:
Valance will be on later this week...
Also, I'm looking to buy a Ford Pinto in the future, and if I do, then my truck might get a V8 swap:headbang:...and become more of a OH SHIT IM GONNA DIE!!!! truck than a street DD truck.

OH!!!! and I hit a bird on the highway yesterday...got a crack near the passenger A-pillar mid way up the windshield, now it leaks, just something else to fix:annoyed:

the crack is smaller than a dollar bill so I'm looking into getting it patched.

Last edited:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Good news and Bad news

For the good...I started my CAI today... I pulled the original piping out that goes from the airbox to behind the headlight so right now I just have the airbox with the big hole on the side, it sounds pretty cool. In the process I took some pipe that goes from the exhaust to the piping before the airbox, dont know what it is (something with EGR?), but hasn't thrown codes yet so I guess I don't need it. I'm going to use a part from the original piping but upside down, I'll post pics tomorrow.

the big hole in the airbox

There's more bad than good...I've pretty much given up on my junior biotch making my T-handle, so I'll be scrounging around the workshop and garage to make one myself. And I took my truck into a shop to get a quote for the clutch and trans cause it's starting to slip in 3rd and 4th gear, and let's just say it would cost more than the truck is worth to fix it. The clutch, I'll prolly end up doing myself, cause it needs it, but I'm going to see if I can make the tranny last til I get my sisters car. The windshield is still broken, and I just about die after every bump in the road, my shocks suck, so as to not crack the windshield more.

Last edited:

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you buy a window from a scrap yard or wrecker you can buy it and have it installewd for around 150 bux so might as well...
as for the clutch deal, you sound like the clutch is a big deal. thats a saturday job no biggy dude...
also whats wrong with your tranny? the slipping is just a clutch deal...
any otheer symptoms?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
if you buy a window from a scrap yard or wrecker you can buy it and have it installewd for around 150 bux so might as well...
as for the clutch deal, you sound like the clutch is a big deal. thats a saturday job no biggy dude...
any otheer symptoms?
:agree:
a slipping cluth will make u feel like the transmission is diying.
replace the cluth and its like brand new again :icon_thumby:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
any otheer symptoms?
:agree:
a slipping cluth will make u feel like the transmission is diying.
replace the cluth and its like brand new again :icon_thumby:
I actually never though about that, we'll see when I replace the clutch. And it isn't a big deal, I just dont have the tools at home to do it there, in which case it would be a weekend job. But I would have to bring it in to the school shop and only working 45 mins a day it would take a month to do it there. And most days less than 45 mins cause you end up getting distracted half the hour by protecting your vechile from cosmetic damages because of my dickhead clasmmates. I'll get it fixed tho, somehow, cause I'm wasting $700 for a shop to do it.

Now for the pics...

The new T-handle and half boot

I took the airbox out

I'm using the stock airbox and this(stock CAI piping)...

To make this

Installed, I had to move the plate the airbox sits on forward to clear the air conditioning. Now all I have to do is drill a water drain in the it, make the hood inlet, and get a high flow drop in filter, then the CAI is done.

Last edited:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
cant see the pics:dunno:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
I used the IMG codes on photobucket:icon_confused:, I can see them fine, maybe its on your end

OH!!!! My truck got some spring cleaning too!

Last edited:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
they are working now, nice t handle:icon_cheers:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Thanks, I actually like this one better than the metal one that guy was making for me, it won't freeze my hand in the winter when I first grab it.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
yeah good call on that
now u need a wood steering wheel :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals