• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Practical Prerunner

Class5Cole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry as some of this will be a repeat of my "Introduce Yourself" thread. Bought this 2001 Ranger Edge 4.0 off a family friend. I am the third owner of the truck and bought it with 163,000 miles on it. This truck is my daily driver and now has 181,000 miles with the original motor and trans. I'm trying to keep the truck practical for trips to Lowe's and all that, but this is also my desert toy. I'm struggling to find the balance of how far I want to go with it. Condo life also makes it really difficult with hardly anywhere to work on it and nowhere to fabricate. If the lady and I end up buying a house, I'm sure it'll go far and above current plans.

Interior was in pretty good shape with the exception of the zebra print arm rest and subwoofer. Seats have some normal wear under the covers.
First things first- Cranked the torsion bars to get some ride height. Also got some Method's wrapped in very worn 31" Mickey Thompson 'Deegan 38s' through a work deal. Ripped off the dorky brush guard which unfortunately made large holes in the stock bumper.

Class5Cole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The HID fog lights were really doing all the illuminating. Knowing I was going to ditch the front bumper, I found these IPCW projector lights for way too much money. They work great as a projector light but the fit is absolutely horrendous. Had to make some mounts myself for the passenger side.

Class5Cole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Stock honeycomb was brittle and damaged. Found this aftermarket grill for $40. Fit was awesome and the color looks pretty good.

Class5Cole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
As a Southern California native, I couldn't resist building a bumper for it. My friends down at Bart's Iron Design did a great job helping me design it and weld it up.

I've since replaced the trans cooler lines, but I'm still looking for other options. Considering steel braided lines or relocating the cooler altogether. The lines are now pretty exposed if you have to mow over any bushes

Class5Cole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Got some stretch fabric to replace the zebra arm rest. I can't believe how tough it is to find replacement arm rests as well. Constantly checking our junkyards from LA to San Diego.
Changed the PB sub for a 12" Kicker with a 500w Kicker Amp.

Picked up a good rock off a semi, straight to the windshield on the way out to the McKenzies 300. Just glad my it didn't kill my brother in the passenger seat. Dang it!

Class5Cole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Easter was good to me.
31" BFG All Terrains
New Upper Arms
New Ball Joints
Brake Job
New Shocks (Duralast was better than nothing on a holiday, in a pinch)- Change coming soon
Fabtech 3" Lift Spindle
Fabtech Rear Leaf
*Editors note- Didn't realize Camburg was still making kits for the Edge or I would have avoided Fabtech 100%.

Class5Cole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
A little house keeping- Replaced the cruise control buttons. This ended up being more complicated than it should have been. That's life lol

Class5Cole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Currently sitting at a crossroads for the next move. Deciding whether to upgrade to Bilstein 5160s and run that for a while OR upgrade to Camburg Uppers and Lowers with the dual shock conversion and shock hoop. I would also like to go to 33s or 35s but not sure if I want to put that strain on the old motor and trans, even with re-gearing
9C674C6B-A0E6-4EA9-B510-37BD87484E53.jpeg

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Progress always feels good, nice rig.

As for not putting strain on the "old" stuff, re-gearing nearly 100% negates any extra stress from bigger tires. The only stress would be from the extra weight, which comparing a 29" tire to a 33" tire is about 18 pounds.

Rough guesstimate would put the difference between your 31s to 33s at only 9 pounds per side, which I'd say is nearly negligible.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
As a Southern California native, I couldn't resist building a bumper for it. My friends down at Bart's Iron Design did a great job helping me design it and weld it up.View attachment 44782View attachment 44783
View attachment 44784

I've since replaced the trans cooler lines, but I'm still looking for other options. Considering steel braided lines or relocating the cooler altogether. The lines are now pretty exposed if you have to mow over any bushes
I like the bumper man! Looks real slick.

Class5Cole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Progress always feels good, nice rig.

As for not putting strain on the "old" stuff, re-gearing nearly 100% negates any extra stress from bigger tires. The only stress would be from the extra weight, which comparing a 29" tire to a 33" tire is about 18 pounds.

Rough guesstimate would put the difference between your 31s to 33s at only 9 pounds per side, which I'd say is nearly negligible.
Yeah I suppose that's a good point. I just left working in the drag racing world where everything is about rotational mass so I probably freaked myself out about that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals