• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project let's get my engine running as good as it can!

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
So the plot thickens! I went back out to the barn and tried to get a cold compression reading. Nothing. Tried a few cylinders, nothing. I decided to hook the gauge itself up to a small air compressor. I hooked it up directly and nothing, zero on the dial. I think that gauge crapped out on me. now the 95 PSI cyl was the last one I checked before the gauge stopped working. Gonna try a new one before I move forward.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That seems weird.... but I would do the same thing.

So is your tester just one you push tight to the hole and someone cranks the engine? Or does it screw into the spark plug hole?

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
its a screw in, thats how i connected it to the air compressor to test it. weird that it failed, right?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It is...

Put your finger over the hole and crank it.... see if it builds compression.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
It absolutely was the gauge. Bought a new one and tested cyl 6 today and got 170. Lesson here is test your test equipment. OK, so we are dealing with a healthy engine compression wise!

I gaped and installed a set of motorcraft plugs today. I'll take it for a test drive today and report back.

U guys rock btw

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well that makes me feel better... I was worried you had a cylinder heading south.

The good news.... your engine is in good health currently... and you can carry on with other planned repairs upgrades.

Other things to consider would be a proper flush of the cooling system and heater core.

I would also look over @PetroleumJunkie412 information he has posted. Maybe flush the oil system and switch oil brands. Does it have the typical 2.9L ticking? If so... I would get the valve covers off and inspect the rockers and push rods closely. Also pull the rocker shafts and ensure the oil passages are clean and will flow oil properly.

Ensure your filters are up to date... maybe run some good injector cleaner through the tank... then just drive it like you still owe money on it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Other things to consider would be a proper flush of the cooling system and heater core.
This X1000000000000

2.9 and 4.0 had head issues. My best guess is casting residues. Theres some pics in one my threads on head porting that shows it. Also my build thread.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN the living crap out of your coolant passages..

I would also look over @PetroleumJunkie412 information he has posted. Maybe flush the oil system and switch oil brands. Does it have the typical 2.9L ticking? If so... I would get the valve covers off and inspect the rockers and push rods closely. Also pull the rocker shafts and ensure the oil passages are clean and will flow oil properly.

Ensure your filters are up to date... maybe run some good injector cleaner through the tank... then just drive it like you still owe money on it.

Yup. Be very careful on oils.... valentine makes one for flat tappet motors that is high zinc. Its my planned one to use after rebuild.

Any racing oil is appropriate for flat tappet engines.

The racing label is a misnomer. Just means that it has levels of zinc appropriate for older engines.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
OK, the motorcraft plugs made a ridiculous difference. Most of my power is back, the rough idle is gone, and the jerkiness is way better. My initial idle is actually higher now, around 1500 - not sure whats up with that. I know my TPS/anti-diesel screw needs to be calibrated, but other then that I am not sure. I can't believe plugs made that much of a difference. I still have some sort of pinging between 2500 and 3000 RPMs in the lower gears. To tell the truth it almost sounds like a heat shield rattle. Not quite sure. The cooling system is all brand new (with a 4.0 rad.) And I do plan on flushing it some more.

As for valve noise, it is like a type writer.

And thanks for the advice on the oil. I will heed said words of wisdom

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I drove it about 60 miles yesterday just to get a feel. Like I said, the plugs solved a ton of issues. It still has a weird pulsating hesitation on acceleration, although very minor right now. Also, there is either pining or something like a rattling piece of shielding (like I said yesterday) between 2500 and 300 RPMs, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Ehh, with plugs usually goes wires, cap, and rotor. Motorcraft wires, always. Look for a brass cap and rotor.

Coil could be getting ready to crap itself as well. Motorcraft or MSD/Crane are good choices. My personal preference is MSD, but they have a higher failure rate vs. Motorcraft.

You may want to take a look at picking up a tfi module as well. They do weird stuff when they're getting ready to die. My truck would die and restart itself over and over when doing 65 the first time i lost one.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
OK, the motorcraft plugs made a ridiculous difference. Most of my power is back, the rough idle is gone, and the jerkiness is way better. My initial idle is actually higher now, around 1500 - not sure whats up with that. I know my TPS/anti-diesel screw needs to be calibrated, but other then that I am not sure. I can't believe plugs made that much of a difference. I still have some sort of pinging between 2500 and 3000 RPMs in the lower gears. To tell the truth it almost sounds like a heat shield rattle. Not quite sure. The cooling system is all brand new (with a 4.0 rad.) And I do plan on flushing it some more.

As for valve noise, it is like a type writer.

And thanks for the advice on the oil. I will heed said words of wisdom
Told ya so! Lol same to me when I threw in the autolites.

Idle issues seem common, I got many search results. Mine turned out to be the throttle body.

And also everything PJ said +1

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Told ya so! Lol same to me when I threw in the autolites.

Idle issues seem common, I got many search results. Mine turned out to be the throttle body.

And also everything PJ said +1
You did indeed!

I just got back from some mild offroading and she did pretty good. Wicked jerky throttle in 1st and 2nd gear in 4-low. Could be me and I just haven't learned how to drive it smooth off-road yet.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im going out on a limb here.... Have you tried throwing bolts and washers down the top of it yet? Normally that make a new one show up after a few days.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals