• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Guinea Pig

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I get 22-26 mpg depending on where I'm at. Don't know about city cuz I spend very little time in one. If he ends up wanting it then that would be awesome. I need to fix a couple things I've broke before I will sell it though. When I was in Nebraska last month I drove through a harvested milo field when it was down to like 6 deg and I broke the splash guards in both front fender wells. And I had a air freshener in the center air vent then tried to adjust it. Apparently the left to right blade adjuster slides together so it came apart. Other than that it's dirty.
My ranger is coming along nicely. I haven't worked on it in a month and a half but I have to regear the rear end cuz I blew it up and adjust the angle of my coils then extend my radius arms and build belly armor for it. Then I will wheel it harder

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thats decent mileage but the Ranger would do better in a field. lol
I only seem to get excited about working on my Bronco II from spring to late fall. After that I just worry about having a winter beater with a heater, ya know?

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Todays scores: 07 FX4 Rear Axle, code R7. ( thats the 8.8" 31 spline, drum brake 4.10 Torsen LS one. ) And a bumper off the same truck. Bumper is mounted, looks awesome. You guys would sh!t if I told ya the price.
Got the axle out just as a Jeep guy showed up. He knew what it was too. :thefinger:

Edit: Axle was $74.95 before tax and "core charge."

Pic of the FX4 the axle, bumper, seats and tailgate came off.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm contemplating the 64" Chev leaf springs versus using Explorer leafs in this thing. Also when to do it. Its still a 2wd but will likely be swapped out to TTB as soon as weather, money and time come together.
I'm kind of leaning to the 64's but have Explorer leaves here. It needs help soon anyway. Stock stuff is wore out.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Nice to be back after TRS was down for so long. Been having problems with the guinea pig this past week. I'm losing the clutch master cylinder in it. It barely shifts and has stranded me out of gear a few times. Parts places I've checked want a small fortune for it so with all the other things I'd have to buy to convert it to a 5 speed 4by, I'm scrapping that plan.
I've decided to swap the drivetrain from the parts Explorer into this. IIRC, the Electric T-case in the parts rig wasn't working or something, can't remember exactly what the seller told me, just that 4wd wasn't working. I have a 1354M I'll use instead. This unfortunately sucks several parts from the more hard-core project but I'll replace them in time.
Yesterday I bought the one piece driveshaft from a 99 Ranger 4 by as it was necessary at this point.
Still gathering parts and info for this change. Its still my dd so I gotta have everything ready to go before I swap. The Exploder ran and drove fairly well but was rusty.

Is the A4LD controlled by the computer or something else?

Edit: Probably get on it this weekend if weather cooperates, and the gf is at work. lol
Re-edit: JY has an 03 Ranger 5 speed waiting to get into the lineup. Might be able to salvage an M5OD R1HD out of it but it limits me to an electrically operated T-case. Not sure thats the way to go... The older 2.9 trans had better ratios and takes the 1354M...

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Lousy day. Bad weather and a cantankerous Ranger are a bad combo.
Its becoming obvious the clutch reservoir isn't going to last much longer and I'm sure to need it for work soon.
I honestly don't know what to do here.
If the 02 Ranger had been in the lineup at the jy today I'd probably have drowned trying to get the M5ODR1 HD and transfer case out of it. But my immediate problem is the slave cylinder.
Anyway after wandering around the yard for a few hours I came out with a "power bulge" hood (different 02 Ranger) and a push button switch for 4wd with an electric transfer case (which I didn't need, I have 2 here already.)

An idea is forming for this thing though... :icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, I'm thinking I'd like to build a TTB version of an FX4. Fully update the front clip, driveline and as much as I can, interior. Don't get me wrong, I like my Ranger despite the grief it gives me sometimes, but I wouldn't mind it being a lot more like the newer top performance model.
This will get the newer clip, some lift, a front locker of some kind and a flexy suspension. Something that'll look good while getting the sh!t beat out of it.
First, I gotta just keep it alive... ;missingteeth;

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well I gotta pull it apart again. Was set to replace the clutch mc, had it on blocks and quit last night when I ran outta light. Go out to it today and the clutch pedal is totally gone, swinging freely. WTH. Theres also a puddle of fluid running out from under the truck, dripping off the crossmember. Put it behind the fence. Gotta drop the driveshaft, exhaust etc, etc. :bad:

This is why beer was invented.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I must have ADD or something. For some stupid reason I spent most of the time I could on it today hauling the drivers side of the split bench out, cleaning 21 years of filth from under there and screwing the level II bucket down.
Spent a bit changing the seatbelt mounting which I'll have to haul out again as I can't use the same (93 Ranger) one on the pass side. The original right side is wasted. I hope to swap the ones from the Explorer.
Speaking of it, I yanked the console out of that and spent 2 hours cleaning grunge off it tonight.
Then as it started getting dark I started to pull the driveshaft out...

Edit: Late last night I was wondering what I did with the M5OD R1 I bought from member Kirk3000 around 2 years ago. Found it this morning, looks to be something I can run in this mess. I have no idea what its out of as his truck was converted from a 3.slow to a 4.go. It has a jy mark on it.
Any way to id this from the silver tag on the left side?

Oh, and the problem on this is the line between the mc and throwout. Theres no collar on it anymore. I'll just get another one.
:annoyed:

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Not that anybody is following this mess but a brief update.
The guinea pig is still coming apart and further apart than planned. Having spent a lot of time under this I've seen a ton of oil leak out of the engine, including a bunch found inside the bellhousing so I'm swapping it out too.
I dropped a 96 sploder 4 liter in the B-II and its relatively low mileage (200 k) so that should freshen things up under the guinea pig. The B-II will get the drivetrain out of the 92 sploder.
Since its failed as a dd I'm taking insurance off it and using the gf's car again. I'll also swap in the D35 during this downtime.
If I catch a bit of a break in the weather I'll do what I can to it. I have 3 pulls and 2 transplants coming. Don't give up yet. lol :icon_thumby:
92 Sploder parts truck - fetching the driveline.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
A couple hiccups have happened. One, I can't find the keys for the B-II. Important since I wanted the 1354m thats stored inside it as well as the plate off the trans hump for a manual T-case. Two, gf says no to re-insuring her car for some reason. (ok, I know why but still...) Three, we are having a cold snap here and I'm working outdoors.
So, hate to do this but it'll get the engine, trans and T-case outta the sploder instead. Its more expedient but not by much.
I'll go back to the 5 speed at some point, I hope.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Some good news (about damn time.) with this. Found the keys for the Bronco II today. Inside is the 1354m and floor plate for a manual transfer case. The linkage is underneath bolted to an auto trans. was NOT looking forward to putting an auto in this thing. Too much crap to go wrong.
Bent the hell outta the exhaust getting it out but I have another in the Bronco. Made a new floor plate for it from the one from the B II by tracing the 5 speed opening from the Ranger plate and tin snipping it out.

No, I'm not actually parting the Bronco into this. The Explorer driveline is going in there for a bit. Its just expedient to use parts from it. I need my dd back.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Lol don't worry there's people following your progress. Just because they don't post doesn't mean they aren't reading what you post.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Lol don't worry there's people following your progress. Just because they don't post doesn't mean they aren't reading what you post.
Thanks Rowdy. Its kind of a psychological boost. :rockon:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Not a problem! Keep the updates coming!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals