• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project El Taco...1990 BII

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Little more progress...

Got the rough work on the heater box done. I went to lowes and picked up an ABS catch basin and cut the plastic out from that, then I used some two-part plastic epoxy to bond it together. As soon as it dries, I can do a test fit, sand and paint her up, and then get the engine in permanently.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Wow, that almost looks professional. I just used some ductwork sheetmetal, coarse thread sheet metal screws, and black RVT when I did mine. I did the exact same notch too.

Hurry up and get this thing done. I can't wait to hear the report on how the OHV EEC-IV does running a SOHC.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lol tell me about it, I wanna get this thing running so bad.

pearldrumbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey man that looks pretty sweet. It's deffinately cooler than using the navajo stuff.
I decided to bail on that 4.o swap you sold me. I'm going with the 2.3t instead, the 4.0 was just a little too boring lol. But i made back that 500 bucks just parting it out already, and i haven't even gotten rid of the engine or the transfer case yet. now i got it completely stripped and on jackstands in my carport... I dont think my neighbors like it too much (you've seen the yuppy neighborhood i live in)
anyways, good luck on your project, I'd like to see it in person when its all done.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Definately need to get you that title stuff so you can get that outta there, I feel bad about it. Glad to hear you mad back the money on the deal, you get anything out of it?

pearldrumbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
In a round about way the 8.8 lol. I actually traded the 8.8 in the navajo for a different 8.8. Some guy who drives 100 miles a day on the freeway wanted the 3.27s for gas milage so we just traded straight up, now i have 3.73 axle.

So I dont think I actually kept anything from it lol. I still got the tranny, still waiting for some free time to tear it open and see what blew up. There were deffinately chunks when i drained teh oil tho.

It was a good learning experience though, this is the first "modern" car I've ever torn apart, now I know what to look for in other RBVs in the future. Before this the newest car I ever did major work on was from 1966. I think my dads owned about 4 or 5 53-57 fords in my lifetime, so I know those things pretty well, and my 60 chev.

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whoaa sweet project dude!

Lovin the SOHC 4.0 in the BII! That will be sweet when its done, have to say I'm jealous!

Got a question for ya! Have you still got the 90' 4.0 Ranger engine loom? I have a 1990 BII and I was looking for a 90' 4.0 loom from a Ranger to do exactly what you were origionally planning to do; i.e. straight swap an OHV engine into my BII. If you've still got it, would you be willing to sell it?

I've actually got a spare 89' Bronco II, (its road legal, driving and everything!) and if you were a little closer and up for it, I'd be willing to swap the entire thing for your OHV 4.0, loom, and tranny. Unfortunatly you live about as far from me as you can get in the US (my spare BII is in NC) however I'd still be interested in that loom if you were interested in selling it and willing to ship!

Cheers bud, and keep the pictures coming on this project, I'm lookin forward to seeing the end result!

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
good lookin project!!

auburn's not to far!!

good luck, i'll be following this build.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a little update on where im at.

Got it up on jack stands so I could get some real work done.

Got all of the TTB stuff out and those rivets really suck.

Its coming along nicely. Its looking like ill have to move a little tube over to the short side of the front axle so I can get my leaf pads on, as it sits right now they would hit the side of the pumpkin a little. Im going to put some 2.5" wrangler fronts in, the length is just about perfect, I should still be able to use the navajo front bumper. If it ends up being too soft, ill probably find another leaf to add in, I dont think ill have a problem with flex, the springs are going under the frame rails.

I gotta get some shackles going and a little plate welded to the frame.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What's the story behind the Navajo grill? You switching to a Navajo front end? I like it it's different.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup, I kept the frontend off of the navajo I sold to Pearldrumbum.

It all fits on perfect, should be a little different.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
rivets really suck.
You talking about those solid steel ****ers that are about 3/4" thick in the middle and appear to be pressed on both sides? I had to drill and grind some of those on my trans cross member mount to move it forward for my AOD. Yes, those do really suck. :annoyed:

Good luck with your project.

Pete

motohead771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
That looks like some quality work. What size tires are you going to be putting on it?

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

OH WOW! I mean dude.....you could really make some money selling those brackets!!! The whole reason some people scrap the manual case swap on their 01+'s is the lack of the bungs for the linkage bolts on the tailhousing, and the speed sensor back there. Seriously...You've got something here.... Make a few, and sell them!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals