• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project El Taco...1990 BII

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so what you doing with your old tranny

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Selling it. If your interested, PM me.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
can you not just reuse the old tail housing on the new trans to get your tapped holes?

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
what yard did you go to? I need rear disc parts for my 8.8, I don't want to have to pay $140 for a core charge and I don't want to shell a lot of money when I don't have to.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tacoma Pull A Part...

Rearend is gone though.

bronco2guy

Banned - Selling busted parts
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks awsome, I am doing a SOHC swap also into bronco frame but, using all a 99 Explorer wiring, fuel lines, and everything , but then I'm changing the body to ranger cab so lots to do, but your project looks awsome also. I think these SOHC 4.0 swaps will be getting alot more popular once more and more people have done them , I now own 2 SOHC engines. I will say the price you got on yours is excellent since its from a newer year. Same with the tranny. Do you have any suspension plans for this once you get engine complete?

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
can you not just reuse the old tail housing on the new trans to get your tapped holes?
No they are completely different. Im just going to make a bracket out of some 1/4" steel.

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Tacoma Pull A Part...

Rearend is gone though.
damn, i've always wanted to go down to that yard just to see what its got compared to the lynnwood one.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks awsome, I am doing a SOHC swap also into bronco frame but, using all a 99 Explorer wiring, fuel lines, and everything , but then I'm changing the body to ranger cab so lots to do, but your project looks awsome also. I think these SOHC 4.0 swaps will be getting alot more popular once more and more people have done them , I now own 2 SOHC engines. I will say the price you got on yours is excellent since its from a newer year. Same with the tranny. Do you have any suspension plans for this once you get engine complete?
Itll get a 6" lift and some 33"s or 35"s, Eventually will get a SAS swap.

This will come after the thing is running and driving though.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a little more done on it.

Got the heater box off and about half the engine bay wiped down and painted, the other half will require removing a few things and whatnot so I just held off for tonight, ill finish it tomorrow.

Got the engine off of the hoist and onto the engine stand so I can start sorting wires for the EEC-IV swap.

Sometime this week im gonna fab up my X-case shifter bracket that way I can start getting ready for this thing to go in.

Sorry for the slow progress, im a busy guy, but Ill git-r-done.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Few teaser pics...

I set the engine down in the bay to check for clearance issues and it fits awesome. I thought I was probably going to have to move the engine forward an inch or two, but it fits great with no obstructions but the heater box. Im going to have to cut the box (much like a 5.0 swap) and it will prbably limit the heater (blocks about half the hole in the firewall) but I dont think there will be any problems beyond that. I will have to say though, that engine is a pain to get past the radiator support if you leave the fan on.

Also Im not going to be running AC, but if I was, I think there could very well be issues with the steering box and the AC compressor, but with that being the case, I dont think you could use an AC heater box anyway.

Also, FYI, I just bolted the stock 2.9 motor mounts to the 4.0 and they worked fine.

Also...

Has anybody successfully ran an OHV 4.0 on an aftermarket 5.0 calibrated MAF sensor?? I know the sensor part number for the 4.0 is the same as the mustang (meaning it has the same voltage curve) so I would assume one could use a calibrated MAF without major issue. Does anybody know if anyone has tried it?

joeslow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L
Transmission
Manual
I will have to say though, that engine is a pain to get past the radiator support if you leave the fan on.
Sounds like a case where Efans would be handy. :icon_thumby:

great progress.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I built my bracket for the X-case shifter today, also added a little "bling" to the shifters.

Threw the X-case on the tranny as a mock up to make sure everything would work correctly, and all looked good. Tomorrow Im going to throw the X-case in the solvent tank and clean it up a bit more. Also hopefully I can get my hands on some ABS and fill the large hole in my heater box.

Maybe Ill be able to get this engine in permanently this week, I guess Ill cross my fingers.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I'd be careful with fuel system. The eec-iv systems run about 40 psi (without vaccuum to the regulator). I know the EEC-V returnless run 60-70 psi. Seeing as how you're going with the EEC-IV computer it shouldn't be an issue. You also have to be careful about what injectors you use. There are high and low impedance and a computer meant for one can get fried by hooking up the other. I know the EEC-IV 19 lb/hr injectors probably won't fit in the SOHC fuel rail so make sure whatever injectors you end up using are compatible with the computer. Also make sure the FPR on the 97 fuel rail runs at 40 psi like the EEC-IV computer is expecting it to.

Other than that, Good Luck with it! I really like the SOHC idea and wanted to try something like this myself.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im pretty sure I have all that under control.

Im running some 3rd gen 19lbr's off of a crown vic, and Im using a fuel rail from a 97 SOHC explorer and those were a return style system. The only thing Ive run into is that the older style injectors are taller than the EV6 style injectors on the 06 and the EV1(?)/EV6(?) hyrbid injectors on the 97. I have to space the fuel rail up, luckily I have enough room to space it up. The only problem I might encounter is the base FP that the stock 97 FPR is set to, However I cant imagine that would be different from any other return style system ford has had, around ~38psi or something. It would be nice to find an AFPR for it though, good luck...

For the record, I thought the returnless style systems were PWM by the computer, I dont see why ford would run the fuel pressure as high as 60-70psi. Also AFAIK the later EV6 injectors on the ranger are high impeadence, I was going to use them as a fall back if I have to.

Hopefully the 19lbr's will be enough with the factory FPR, Ill have to hook my wideband up to it after I get it out on the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals