• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project El Taco...1990 BII

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Got a killer deal on a M5OD-R1HD from an 06 ranger today!

The thing is like brand new!

I picked it up for $300.

I wish I had the money to buy the 4.0 that was in front of it, cause that thing would be going into the B2 instead.

Here is a couple of pics after I pulled the engine:

Im going to get the 4.0 out of the Navajo this weekend, and try to get the tranny and worthless CV driveshafts out of the bronco.
did you buy that tranny off craigslist from a guy in auburn? if so you beat me to the punch:pissedoff:

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup that was the guy.

That truck has been on there forever, He had the tranny for $450 and I offered him 300 for kicks. He came back and said $400 and I never replied to him. Then a week later he emailed me back and said $300 was fine, he wanted it gone. So I hauled ass over there and pulled it.

I guess it was all luck.

The engine was just as clean as the tranny too, that SOHC would be nice to put into the b2.

Last edited:

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
He is asking $750 for it, but im sure he could be talked down.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
if you pulled that trans from a SOHC motor, im pretty sure it wont work. Last SOHC motor i worked on had a different bell housing bolt patter than the OHV motor.

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yup that was the guy.

That truck has been on there forever, He had the tranny for $450 and I offered him 300 for kicks. He came back and said $400 and I never replied to him. Then a week later he emailed me back and said $300 was fine, he wanted it gone. So I hauled ass over there and pulled it.

I guess it was all luck.

The engine was just as clean as the tranny too, that SOHC would be nice to put into the b2.
SHIT, I was gonna pay $400 but I live up north and didn't figure out a good day to get down to auburn and check it out. I was KINDA interested in the wheels and tires but he wanted waaaay too much for them.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you pulled that trans from a SOHC motor, im pretty sure it wont work. Last SOHC motor i worked on had a different bell housing bolt patter than the OHV motor.
The bellhousing has both patterns.

Everything I have read says it will work fine, thats why I even went after it.

Even if it wont work, I can always take out the internals and put them in the navajo case.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SHIT, I was gonna pay $400 but I live up north and didn't figure out a good day to get down to auburn and check it out. I was KINDA interested in the wheels and tires but he wanted waaaay too much for them.
Yeah, the wheels are still there, and they have some nice wild countrys or something on them, but I agree, he wants too much for them, or Id have them on my 05:headbang:

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
i just finished a clutch on a 03 ranger this evening. the housing IS different BUT the clutch setup will work and so will the bolt pattern. the primary difference was the bottom has bolts that go all the way to a tab on the block/pan but they do not HAVE to be mounted to the block. the earlier m5od1 dust shield. it SHOULD work fine.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive decided I wanna go somewhere a little different for the powerplant in this thing, and Im not going to use the Navajo for the drivetrain parts. Im putting it up for sale, if somebody local wants a good parts vehicle, the engine ran great and it has a new starter and clutch, D35/8.8 3L27. The only parts I am using is the headlights/grille and front/rear bumpers. Of course you cant use the tranny. All I want is $500 and Ill deliver it to your place, it has a title....

As soon as I can sell the navajo, ill let you guys in on the new powerplant and whatnot.

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
SOHC time! when you swap this in, let us know how hard the wiring portion is. A while back I was interested in a SOHC swap but hearing that the wiring is a bigger chore than it was to swap over to a OHV I dismissed it fairly quickly. wiring is not my forte haha.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well here it is...

2006 ranger 4.0 SOHC from the same truck the tranny came from.

It was too good of a deal to pass up, $550, it only has 30k on it. It turned out Id probably only use the engine from the navajo anyway, So I sold it Pearldrumbum for $500so he could use the engine and axles on his ranger.

I also got the Y-pipe from the truck that has 3 cats on it, so I can make some money back from that.

I plan on running the engine on an EEC-IV computer from an explorer, and if it seems im leaving a lot on the table with that setup, ill probably squirt it. Im more after reliability, than getting every once of power out of this thing though. A nice flowing exhaust shouldnt hurt.

Also, comparing the two trannies side by side, the M5R1 doesnt have the tapped bosses for the manual T-case shifter on the side, so im going to have to make a bracket for the shift lever.

Tomorrow im going to hit the JY to see if I can scrounge some parts for the swap out there....

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
good luck I had to cut and remodel my firewall. But I used the dash and Ac/heater blower out of the 04 ranger, I have heard of somebody puting a huge body lift on a bII and running a stock blower.. also keep the mounts off the 2.9. they will bolt right up to the block and the motor will fall into the correct place. also keep in mind that I'm running the stock exhaust and cross over pipe with cats. so to do this I had to remove the sway bar and the cross over support for the raduis arms. So now I;m waiting to finsh the truck for the lift and evt. radius arms. As for dropping it in as one peice I removed the rad. suport. so for me to get it as far as I am I replaced the complete fuel system, complete wiring bumper to bumper (my own personal op. Love the genI body but wanted a newer truck kinda) stole steering shaft out of a 97 ranger (again 04 dash and steering wheel) Made new plumbing with SS. pipe for coolant due to genI rad and water pump are about 6" ( I had to drop down to clear belts) differnt for the 2.9. Moved battery to drivers side, sohc intake and maf wiring are all on the pass. side and old battery try works great to support the oem filter, also i had to get new Powersteering lines made again diff fitting from the 2.9 and the sohc. I will also need to get a front drive shaft. and I'm sure that I have done many other things and I'm not done yet. I know I will need to get a newer Ac conden. and new A/C pressure lines made up. ( it is Az it still get hot when you are out wheeling) So good luck and maybe we can ge or own group "Sohc in genI to dumb to know better" take that 1ton sas group.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The engine is going to go in without the heater box there.

Im not running AC, so I will look for a non-AC box and modify it to fit. The engine isnt any wider than a 5.0, so I dont think the heater box will be much of an issue.

It will get new power steering lines.

The transmission is the same length, so I wont have to bother with a new front shaft, and Im going to have a new rear shaft made anyway.

I think it will go fairly smoothly, as im not dealing with the EEC-V/OB2 crap. Alot of the stuff will be coming off of the engine, because I wont need it. Its also getting a new exhaust from the manifolds back, so I dont have to worry about the clearance issues.

Going to find a return style fuel rail and adapt to fit the existing fuel lines.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went to the JY today and picked up a few things.

There was a 97 explorer out there with the SOHC, so I robbed the fuel rail off of it. The cool thing about it, is the fuel lines come out in the same spot as the B2, so it should just be plug and play.v

I also picked up some 19lb injectors from a T-bird, they are a little bit longer than the ranger ones, so hopefully Ill have enough room to space the fuel rail up to use them.

The third thing I picked up was the pigtail from the engine harness connector, I might get away with just splicing into the 90 OHV harness and plug it right in to the SOHC.

Next time out im going to look for a Non-AC heater box...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals