• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project El Taco...1990 BII

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
DAMNIT! Ok.....I was really wanting to buy that engine..but never contacted him because he thought his stuff was GOLDEN!! lol. Glad engine and trans went to a good home!! I look forward to following this build.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
bump! any updates?

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Working on it, trying to raise some $$ for the project.

Got some changes im going to make to it, I havent given up, ill get some updates as soon as I have anything substantial to post.

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
woo, been a while, anything new going on with the project yet?
BUMP for an awesome build.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Should have an update this week.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright guys, little update.

I have the B2 sitting on all four wheels again. I had to source a D35 which I got from the JY, and I had to buy a new radius arm crossmember, rockauto sells them new fairly cheap.

I did the explorer rear leaf spring swap w/o the overloads, and it sits a little more than stockish with 30x9.5 Maxxis Bighorns, Id say there might have been a 1-2" lift, its hard to tell since I never measured with the stock springs. I was more after the stiffer ride over the lift.

The front D35 is out of a 93 explorer and Im using the front coils. With no engine the thing sits sky high in the front, but I assume it will all change when the SOHC is in there.

Today I grabbed the injector harness from a 90 4.0 ranger at the JY, it was different than the 93? injector harness that I was planning on using. The connector to the main harness is square instead of round like the 90 harness. The computer was gone out of the 90 ranger, but I lucked out and found a Navajo with a 90 computer in it.

Next project is to run the 4.0 main harness and set the SOHC in for good.

I get some pics up tomorrow.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is some pics, I pretty much got the wiring harness in today.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I just read all of this and wow this is great. I saw that you were going to put a solid axle under it and said yes, and then when you said D35 i cried.

I put a TBI on my 2.8 and it runs great, but I can only imagne how great that broncho II is going to drive with that engine.

Keep up the good work.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I lost my job and couldnt continue the solid axle I was building. I have to get my shop in order for my new business, so a D35 went back in and I have been working on it everyday for about a week. I wanna have it running very soon.

ford boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc,4.6,460
Transmission
Manual
im gathering parts to do the same thing to a 84 ranger. pulling motor out of a 01 ranger.not shure if i will us a older 4.0 wirring harness or the one out of the 01. :dunno: i will keep and eye on this build.

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I lost my job and couldnt continue the solid axle I was building. I have to get my shop in order for my new business, so a D35 went back in and I have been working on it everyday for about a week. I wanna have it running very soon.
that sucks man, hopefully you didn't spend too much on the replacement D35. I haven't even done anything with the one you sold me yet. so what are you gonna do out of the shop, machine and fab work? you could make some $$$ modding volvo heads for 2.3Ls and making brackets like the one you made for the r1HD to fit a manual t case.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
na, I just got one from PAP, it wasnt too bad. Money is not really an issue at the moment, its mainly that fab equipment I had access to at my old work, thats why I didnt finish the axle. Im working on getting my shop setup with some cool stuff, I just bought a lathe today, and I have a milling machine already. Im working on getting a tig welder here within a couple of weeks. .Things are coming together, I just gotta get the BII running, movable and out of my way

I have plenty of ideas for stuff going through my head right now, I think Ill do fine on my own. After 8 years of working to make somebody else money, im a little burnt out on it, its my turn to make all the money for myself.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice build im pumped for it runnin very cool. you should draw up some diagrams showin how to do the wiring. and get more pics. cause we love those. haha

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I have been meaning to do an update for awhile.

Im really close to finishing it, well not finishing it, but getting it driveable.

All the suspension is in, explorer rear springs, explorer D35 and front springs, manual hubs.

The engine and transmission is in, I had a custom power steering hose made, replaced the EGR with a homemade IAT bushing in the intake. Peeled the crap off the stock engine harness and re-taped it with the adjusted connector positions. Amazingly enough, the OHV harness fits nearly perfect on the SOHC engine, just minor adustments in positions were needed.

Anyway, Ill get some pictures up very soon, but here is a couple of teasers.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals