• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Project A59749" - My '88 Ranger XLT

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Updated list of mods:
- 15 inch alloys and 235/75R15 tires (up from stock 215/70R14)
- AutoDimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temp gauge
- Kenwood KDC-248U CD Reciever
- Explorer Bucket Seats (from split bench)
- Explorer Center Console
- Explorer Dual-Core Radiator

Read on for details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I've decided to start this thread to help document what I've done, what I'm doing, and what I plan to do with my Ranger. Not going to go crazy with it (paycheck won't allow it, plus it's my DD), just a few things here and there to build it just the way I want it. This is mostly for me, but maybe a few of you will like my ideas. So...

This is my 1988 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9L:

We've been together for almost 3 years now, since January 2009. This was my Grandfather's truck, then my Fathers, and now I am the proud owner. This is what she looked like when I first got her:

Since then, I've done the following few upgrades:
- New paint (against my will, unfortunately)
- Upgraded to factory 15" alloy wheels
- Upgraded to 235/75R15 rubber
- Gentex AutoDimming Rearview Mirror with Temp gauge and Compass

Upgrades on standby:
- New stereo (this will be next, very soon hoepfully)
- Braided Stainless Steel brake lines
- 2" suspension lift (maybe leveling kit as well?)
- 8.8 rear with 4.10 gears, possibly Lockrite (this will be down the line when cash, time, and space permit)
- Maybe possibly 31x10.5R15 rubber if I decide to go any higher than 2"
- I also plan on doing some work with the interior. I'd like to mount a single drivers seat in place of my split-bench to add room for a center console. Doing research on this...

More pics to come as soon as I get some time off. Had a few extra bored hours tonight, but alas no pictures on this PC.

Last edited:

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here's a few older pics I was able to find:

Sorry, not too many pictures of my truck before the accident:

My truck, freshly painted:

Ranger Rescue! My Ma's Land Rover broke down, she needed me to come jump her. Ended up being her starter:

This is my favorite picture of us so far (I've posted it before):

Now, just need to get more with the new wheels.

Last edited:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
thats a clean looking ranger, always nice to see em kept in the family :)

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments =].

Some new stuff. Got to work on the stereo research. Found the one I want, just needed to know whether or not I had premium audio. As far as I could tell, the only way to know is to find out if I have a factory installed amp. No amp, no premium. I've seen pictures of the amp installed in the top of the dash, under a trap door looking panel. I have no such panel/opening, and no such amp as far as I can tell. Just to be sure, I pulled the radio to check for the third connector that would exist if I did in fact have the premium sound/amp (please forgive the bad quality. It was at night, and with a cell phone camera):

Only two connectors (that wire on the opposite side is the antenna):

No amp, no third connector, no premium sound. Got a nice Kenwood head unit on the way, should be here within the week :D.

Last edited:

workdog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So, last week, when I received my package, I opened it to discover that for some reason the connector I needed wasn't included (it comes with two, mine and a different one. The one I needed was missing). So I call, explain what went wrong, and they overnighted me a new one. When I got it two days later... same thing. The correct set, just missing the one I need. So, I called them up again, explained what had happened again, and we were able to find the specific one I needed under a different product number. So, again, they overnighted me this new one that appears to be the right one. It should be here tomorrow, so I'll post more then. Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll have some audio in my truck again...

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Its cool that you're keeping the truck alive :icon_thumby: Where did you order your audio stuff from? I've bought from crutchfield and IMO, they're pretty much the best as far as prices and customer service.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yep, I ordered all my stuff from crutchfield. They filter what fits your car, make it really easy to find and order what you want, and the customer service is incredible. I got the wrong connector twice, but they spent a lot of extra time with me to make sure that they got me the correct one, which they paid for and overnighted for free. Speaking of which...

It's In!!! It's a long story, but the new correct connector came really late, and I didn't want to wait, so I installed it in the dark. I really wanted to take pictures, but I have a crappy camera phone, so they didn't come out good enough to see anything. Plus, the night I installed it, my truck decided to stop idling correctly, so I didn't even get to enjoy my stereo for a full drive. Anyway, it's all fixed and done. It's really nice to finally be able to listen to music in my truck. I'll get a good shot of it for you guys tomorrow.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok, time for a few pics.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Also, as promised, a picture of my Autodimming rearview:

Again, apologies for the crappy pictures. Maybe one day I'll invest in a real camera.

Last edited:

workdog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what did the autodimmer come out of

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I bought the mirror brand new from AutoAnything. I couldn't find any good used ones with all of the wiring, so I did a little shopping and got the exact one I wanted. They also have map light and backup camera options, as well as more basic ones (like just the compass, and such). It was an easy install, came with everything. I love the thing, couldn't imagine life without it, hehe.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Update: I've been running some old used tires since I upgraded wheels, and I'm tired of the pull they cause, plus all of the worrysome separation (some of them are damn near 10 years old). So, I'm grabbing some new ones from work this week. I get a certain amount of tires at cost, and I found a really nice set of Kelly Safari Trex 235/75R15 for 50$ a piece. That's 200 for the whole set. Most good tires cost that for just one. Going to install em thursday, can't wait to drive straight again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals