• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Progress / Advice Thread 91 ExCab XLT

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just figured I would make a thread here for all the interior mods I plan on doing to both get some advice / find out where to get stuff at and to show people what I'm doing to my ranger.

As of right now nothing much has been done to it. And I have no pics right now, can get those tomorrow.

I put an explorer center console in, along with a new headunit and some speakers. The rear speakers are 6x9 and the guy who had it before me just cut the speaker grilles and plopped them in, I'm going to fix that up and make it look better. I replaced the 6x9's because one was blown, have some Dual's in there right now (75 RMS) and some Infinity OEM 6.5's up front (closest I can find is 50w RMS?). Sounds great but I need more bass!!

Plans:

I want to redo the entire interior in black/blue. I have no headliner right now either, but I don't want to plop anything up there until I figure out sound deadening. I have some cheap roofing insulation up there (basically the foil bubble wrap) and it made a big difference but not sure if something a little more expensive would really make that big of a difference..

Going to do the explorer overhead console and lighted visor mirrors as well! When I go to the junkyard I'm going to ask if they have any explorer manual center consoles, too. That one that goes all the way up to the dash is really cool, plus I have a 5speed so 2nd gear and reverse prevent the use of my cupholders! Just a minor thing.

As far as sound goes I am going to look at taking out the jumpseats on both sides and replacing them with sub boxes that fill the space. I want 2x Kicker CVR10's and a Kicker DX1000.1 driving them. Going to make the boxes myself with some guidance from a friend here and buy the subs myself. The amp I plan on getting through a local shop so if anything goes wrong, there is the service available like 10 mins down the road.

That's about all I can think of right now! Typing this up pretty late in the evening though, slept for too long after getting off work.

One minor question I've been mulling over - I want to re-do the door panels and interior trim in black/red when I do the rest of the truck. How should I go about doing it? Saw some good results on an F250 with just the vinyl/carpet spraypaint but not sure how good it would look in person. I was thinking about getting a complete set of interior trim pieces and then I would have extras to clean up, get real pretty, paint/dye/color however I'm doing it, and then swap in. Yay? Nay? (Should I go with a diff. color so it isn't so hot in the summer? Truck on the outside will be black, not sure what other interior colors I could go with honestly besides black/blue.)

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
When I redid my super I found a couple of great websites that offer headliner material and certain kits. A plethora of colors and styles.

We put in a foam backed material onto the backer board and it's plenty sound and heat resistant and about 3/16".

Before:

After:

You might want to think about the black depending on where you are. Black vehicles get soooooo hot in the summer.

My white super with light interior gets 1/2 as hot as my black focus with grey interior or the wife's white jetta with black interior.

But then again, I'm an old guy whose opinion of 'cool' has gone from looking spiffy no matter what, to, keeping the sweat off if at all possible. :icon_twisted:

Rich

akx.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
When I redid my super I found a couple of great websites that offer headliner material and certain kits. A plethora of colors and styles.
Hi Rich - that looks really clean - what website/product did you end up picking?

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
I think this was the one:

http://www.stockinteriors.com/ReplaceHeadliner.asp

The kit I purchased came with the adhesive.
The wife and daughter did the recover in an hour or so. They had never done anything like that and it came out really nice.

Rich

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That does look really nice. Not sure what other colors I could do though... outside of the truck is black, and the interior is the stock dark gray. Dash is crashed so I need to use a vinyl repair kit on that and sand it down and then re-color the whole thing.. just not sure what color still.

I do want a black interior, but even here, let alone back in CA, it gets so hot... but a black truck with a white interior would look weird!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals