• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Programming???

BigClemsonFan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure if you were seriously asking, but if so...it's a degree in applied and computational mathematics.

I'm required to have a background or working knowledge of "C, C++, FORTRAN, or MATLAB."

I took a lot of calculus, linear algebra and diff eq in my younger days, but no computer science courses or programming. I think I want to potentially change careers in about 3 to 5 years, so I need the degree to get me in the new field.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if you were seriously asking, but if so...it's a degree in applied and computational mathematics.

I'm required to have a background or working knowledge of "C, C++, FORTRAN, or MATLAB."

I took a lot of calculus, linear algebra and diff eq in my younger days, but no computer science courses or programming. I think I want to potentially change careers in about 3 to 5 years, so I need the degree to get me in the new field.
Well if you have to pick from those 4, pick C++. If not, then Java is the way to go.

The first language that I ever learned was C/C++, and then I moved onto 2nd year classes which were almost all in Java. At first, I freakin' hated it. I thought Java was the devil.

Now, I often find myself coding in some language and thinking to myself, man, if I could just use Java, this would be so much less of a headache.

Looking back, I don't know why I liked C++ more than Java. It seems so archaic now.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Java is huge these days due to the inherent platform agnosticism. It's also not as fast as the same code implemented in C or C++ either though. If you haven't done any programming before I would say start with something like C to get your procedural chops and then move on to an OO language like C++ or Java.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor

A friend of mine went through for the same type of math program and ended up taking a COBOL course...then ended up getting a really good job coding it...but that was years ago...

The idea is that if you get a good background in slinging code it may become your biggest asset...unless you're planning on the PhD route...

BigClemsonFan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone care to share your thoughts on taking some entry level code courses online? I don't see anything being offered in a traditional classroom in my area until January 2010.

1stHand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
id start by running a search on 'non-programmers' + 'matlab'

Anyone care to share your thoughts on taking some entry level code courses online? I don't see anything being offered in a traditional classroom in my area until January 2010.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals