• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Programmer/Tuner for 2.5L

BWDuty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Hope you're having a good day! I appreciate any help that anybody might be able to offer.

I'm having a *hell* of a time finding a tuner or programmer for a 2000 Ranger with a 2.5L engine. This really all started when I gave her a 4" lift (4" spindles in front, 2" shackles and 2" blocks in rear) and 32x11.5R15LT tires for a total of about 6" lift. Actually it ended up being more than that in the back because I replaced both sagging leaf springs too.

Going from the stock P225/70R15 size, this threw the speedometer and odometer off by about 17%. Not a *huge* deal, but I really love my truck and I'm proud of how many miles she's given me (over 202k so far). I've done a *ton* of mods and upgrades. I have everything I need to rebuild the diff and change the stock 3.73 gears to 4.56 to help take advantage of those 119 horses she has under the hood too. With those stock 3.73 gears, I find myself downshifting even at interstate speeds with any kind of incline.

I actually have four pages of mods/upgrades/maintenance (in small print) that I've done in just the last four years, and I've owned her for close to 15 years.

Anyway, I figured correcting the odometer and speedometer would be a $5 gear change. Then I realized that this was in 1997 and earlier Rangers, and from 1998 and up the computer uses the revolutions of the axle (sent from the ABS VSS) to determine speed. Still, hey, no big deal, I can figure something out. Plus that seemed like a positive since changing my gear ratio will have no effect on the speedometer and odometer (they don't care what the rest of the drivetrain does, only how fast the wheels turn).

I found out that Ford's NGS tool with a green card inserted can change the tire size in the computer to realize the tires are turning less per mile, thus correcting the difference. My stock tires turned at about 758 revolutions per mile, the new ones are around 650. Unfortunately the NGS tool can only choose from stock tires sizes offered, and none of them are as big as 32". The closest offered on the 4x4 model would be about 4% off which I could live with, but I'm not sure if my truck would even have that option in it's computer since it's a 4x2. Also, the Ford dealer service center I talked to told me this setting can't even be changed (even though I have step by step instructions from somebody who has done it).

So I figured I'd get some kind of tuner or programmer, you know, the aftermarket type that VIN lock. That way I could program it with the exact revolutions per mile for a completely accurate reading. I know any performance gains from the 2.5L Lima engine would be marginal at best. I'm not looking to drag race.

I can't find one! I've looked for hours! Every single one from every name brand manufacturer only lists 3.0 and 4.0 engines in their compatibility charts.

Would these still work with a 2.5? If not, does *anybody* make one that does?

Thanks for any input! I keep getting notifications from Therangerstation that my post(s) have helped thousands of people, I'm really hoping for some help myself on this one!

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 112" WB XL 4x2 2.5L Lima engine 5 speed manual transmission

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Download forscan for you computer and get the extended license (all free). Get an BAFX Bluetooth adapter ($22 amazon).

Goto programming mode and select GEM AS Built. You will see a line of hex code. First 4 digits are your revs per mile in hex. So 650 would be 028A. Write that and then do ignition cycle and you are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Btw I have done this on my 2000 2.5L so I know it works.

BWDuty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
That is absolutely amazing, I was planning on spending hundreds of dollars. I will definitely give this a try. If it works for me you are a rockstar! Thank you so much! Just ordered the BAFX with Amazon Prime for $21.99.

Arriving Saturday
Not yet shipped

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool

Last edited:

BWDuty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
While you are waiting on your adapter let's go ahead and get you setup:

1. Grab a laptop that has bluetooth
2. Install forscan (forscan.org)
3. Get extended license (http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=836)
Thanks! I was just sitting here at work wondering if my laptop has bluetooth integrated, I might need to pick up a dongle. Already downloaded forscan. I'll definitely follow up on how everything goes within a week or so -- I hate it when somebody starts a thread then figures out the problem without posting the resolution! Really appreciate all of the help!

BWDuty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Download forscan for you computer and get the extended license (all free). Get an BAFX Bluetooth adapter ($22 amazon).

Goto programming mode and select GEM AS Built. You will see a line of hex code. First 4 digits are your revs per mile in hex. So 650 would be 028A. Write that and then do ignition cycle and you are done.

I just completed this, and it worked perfectly. I used a TomTom GPS over about a 20 minute drive with average speeds ranging from 15-65mph and the readings on my speedometer matched my GPS pretty much 100%. I imagine any tiny discrepancy was due to the GPS and/or going up and down hills.

You're freakin' awesome! I didn't even realize that a basic OBDII scanner was capable of programming, I thought they could only read. Obviously I know now that with the correct software it's possible, but I thought that it was locked from doing so based on the hardware.

The only *tiny* adjustment I'd make to your original advice is that it isn't actually the first four characters that you change in that module. The first four were greyed out and couldn't be changed, so I changed the first four that were capable of being changed (the next four). I did have a moment of panic as in, "what if they *shouldn't* be greyed out for some reason and I'm changing the wrong numbers and brick my computer". However, it did work absolutely perfectly! Thank you!

I used the scanner you recommended (BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool)
I used this bluetooth dongle (DayKit Mini USB Bluetooth CSR 4.0 Dual Mode Adapter Dongle for Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP 32/64 Bit Raspberry Pi Linux Black)
And of course Forscan with the extended license which was, as you said, free.

Total cost about $30, but honestly I consider it free because I know I'm going to find a ton more uses for that scanner. It, along with Forscan, tells basically *everything*. There are even a few extremely minor trouble codes stored in the GEM which don't trigger the MIL that I'm going to look into. Stupid stuff like something about the windshield wiper moving too far. It even works with the Bluetooth on my phone for basic code reading and diagnostics of *any* OBDII vehicle, which is what I'll need it for 99% of the time.

Two other things worth noting.. The drivers that came with the Bluetooth dongle did *not* work properly with Forscan. Everything was installed properly, I was able to find the OBDII scanner and pair with it, but Forscan would not see the bluetooth connection. I had to uninstall the drivers from the manufacturer and let Windows 10 Pro use generic drivers and it worked immediately. Also, I was able to connect using Forscan's Android App on my phone (which cost $5) but was unable to change any settings using that method. I guess it needs to be done with a PC. I did end up buying the Torque app for my phone which works on vehicles other than Fords and serves as a pretty good diagnostic tool and even measures stuff like 0-60 speeds and horsepower.

Last edited:

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Told ya.

Forscan is Fords IDS software reverse engineered by some extremely talented Russian programmers.

Only the PC version can program control units.

Yeah the first few digits are memory locations. But even if you screwed it up I haven't seen a control unit yet bricked by putting in the wrong data.

Pretty much you have all the tools the dealer has except for updating control unit software. This thing can actually program chipped keys just like the dealer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals