• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Program keys

Awei21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi I have a 1999 ranger that I love. I got it about a year ago and didn't have any problems with it untill someone tried to break in and hot-wire it. They destroyed the ignition and column. I got a column at a junk yard and put it in. I didn't know there was a chip in the key and I had to get it programmed. Is there a way to bypass this? I don't have the cash to get it towed to the dealership and 150 for them to program my key. Please help.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
No way to bypass it, and even if you could why would you even consider that an option. You wouldn't have a truck right now if not for the transponder key security...

Just food for thought...

But you can fix it very easily without a dealer. Take the new ignition cylinder out. Take it to a locksmith with your old key. They can re-pin the new cylinder to fit your old keys. Shouldn’t cost more than 20 bucks or so. Put the new cylinder back in and you are good to go, your old keys will now work and no programming required.

A locksmith can also cut new keys to fit the new cylinder, and they can clone the radio signal from your old keys onto the new ones. The first option is usually cheaper though since you don't have to buy new keys.

A third option if you got keys with the junkyard column is to take both the new and old keys to the locksmith, have them cut 2 new blank keys to match the junkyard ones, then have them clone the rf signal from the old keys onto the new ones they just cut. First option is still usually cheaper but this one is easiest since you only have to bring them the keys and not the ignition cylinder.

Personally I would just take everything you have to the locksmith (all the keys and ignition) explain the situatiom and say "here's what I have, what option is cheapest to make my truck go vroom".

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

As said take the "new" Lock cylinder out and take it to a locksmith with your old key and he/she can match the "new" lock to old key's bumps and valleys

The system is called PATS(passive anti-theft system), it is very good at preventing vehicle theft, so no way to bypass its anti-theft function

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
This is a perfect example of why it baffles me that people are always trying to disable the PATS security system. I'd much rather replace a busted steering column or ignition than replace an entire truck. Locks and alarms can be broken and cut, you can't beat a transponder system without a flatbed...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Gentleman...

I deleted the duplicate post to keep all this in one place.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Downside is Carjacking incidents go up, which is way more dangerous than just coming out and finding your vehicle gone

Portable RFID tag reader...............................
If I can get near your key I can read/copy your transponder number, usually within 12-18", so just a walk by, duplicate the tag then jimmy the lock cylinder :)
Gone in 60 seconds

I can also read the key Fob signal from 40-50feet away when you press the unlock button, so not hard to just unlock it and take whats inside :)

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Portable RFID tag reader...............................
If I can get near your key I can read/copy your transponder number, usually within 12-18", so just a walk by, duplicate the tag then jimmy the lock cylinder :)
Gone in 60 seconds
Yea but let's put that into real world context. You need to know what car the person owns, you can't just follow strangers around getting RF numbers if you don't know what they go to. Second, you better hope they only have one transponder key in their pocket or you'll just get a bunch of nonsense. Third, if you do get the RF number from a portable scanner you still need another gizmo to spit that number out to the PATS transceiver. Finally you still need to deal with the doors, steering wheel lock, and ignition. Granted those final obstacles can be overcome by a drunken baby but still gonna take you more than 60 seconds to do all that work. :icon_rofl:

And if you're that fancy of a thief, with high tech gizmos, willing to stalk people around to scan codes in their pocket... Why are you stealing old Ford rangers? Come on now, that's like breaking into fort Knox to steal their newspaper. :icon_rofl:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh please, you just walk up to someone getting out of the vehicle you want, in a parking lot, and ask them a question while they are still holding their keys
Get license number to get home address
People are very helpful, speaking with a foreign accents helps, they think you are stupid and want to help you

You write the transponder number to a blank RFID tag, thats the same as any locksmith does when they "clone" a PATS key, the less expensive way to get a spare PATS key for your vehicle

Wait for the person to come back to vehicle and copy the Fobs unlock freq. and code, then getting in, and disarming any alarm, is done
You pull out the lock cylinder, put the "clone" RFID tag near transceiver use screwdriver to turn the "lock" which unlocks steering wheel, and starts the engine

So you spend a few hours, waiting, updating Facebook and twitter accounts, moneys good and hours are not too bad

You shouldn't be surprised at how much "old Ranger" parts are worth, rust free parts sell at a premium price :)

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You've really thought this out...

200w (2).gif

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No cable TV in the basement, had to keep my mind occupied, you should get the cable hooked back up........your Ranger looks rust free from what I have seen

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
No cable TV in the basement, had to keep my mind occupied, you should get the cable hooked back up........your Ranger looks rust free from what I have seen
I'll throw some Legos and coloring books down there when I get home.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That would be nice (y)

And almost out of pickles

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Wow we may of scared away this new guy. I'm sorry lol, I didn't see this was his first post. The first 2 answers in this thread are good legitimate responses. We just have fun here. We may be strange but there's also the best possible information here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals