• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Product Review: 1st Gen Coverlay door panels

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@ford4wd08

I haven't installed the fasteners yet, just a test run... I am waiting to install them until I have time to redo the plastic seal behind the door panel and fill in some mirror holes on the outside of the door which requires some welding. The heads of the trim clips are painted so I imagine they're a one time use item. Hate to have to remove them if I don't have to.

View attachment 44197
Thanks for the pics.

They look pretty good. I think I'm going to redo my faded XLT panels and see what they look like

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Make your own panels.i did.my first attempt at also.was pretty straight foward
IMG_20191101_151825491.jpg

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
^^
That looks pretty good (just needs some map pockets :D )

Interesting thread though.
I put a Coverlay dash cover over the cracked and battered dash in my '90 BII spring of last year. Maybe I got lucky, but I thought that it fit reasonably well (the edge of the cover was just visible at the edge of the trim piece above the instrument cluster, which could be from a variation in the 30-year old dash itself, though I can't say for sure). I did have to modify a few of the vent ports slightly with a file so that the vent louvers would fit in them flush (and color was just a smidgen darker than the original), but otherwise I thought it came out fairly decent (MUCH better than the original dash with cracks and chunks missing lol). It's weathered one hot California summer so far without any warping or other degradation that I can see. YMMV, I guess.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
As an update to this:

I installed these after painting my cab. The third set fits and looks good. I am NOT pleased with the trim clips - I have two sets, both are black plastic that is painted blue. The paint was flaking off both sets right out of the package, and at least half of it flaked off during installation and I was just using my thumb to push them in.

I am pretty disappointed overall. Coverlay's quality control is terrible. I will probably never buy their products again after this fiasco.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Paint isn't gonna stick to those flexible plastic "fasteners" when you bend it. Krylon might though.. I've had good experiences with it.

I do agree on the rest. Coverlay is junk and they deserve to go out of business. I bought my 87 with a Coverlay dash cover and it was warped when I bought it. I'm eventually going to Flock the dash. Either that or have a custom suede cover sewn on to my original dash.

As for door panels, did you see our recent discussion about them in another thread? They are being produced still in a covered vinyl style, but you'll pay for them. Still, better to pay for quality once than pay for junk only to be disappointed later like Coverlay products.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Paint isn't gonna stick to those flexible plastic "fasteners" when you bend it. Krylon might though.. I've had good experiences with it.

I do agree on the rest. Coverlay is junk and they deserve to go out of business. I bought my 87 with a Coverlay dash cover and it was warped when I bought it. I'm eventually going to Flock the dash. Either that or have a custom suede cover sewn on to my original dash.

As for door panels, did you see our recent discussion about them in another thread? They are being produced still in a covered vinyl style, but you'll pay for them. Still, better to pay for quality once than pay for junk only to be disappointed later like Coverlay products.
There is definitely paint out there that will chemically bond to plastic and not come off... back in the day it was common for dealers to get interior pieces in one color only and have to paint them to match. Interior shops will paint faded plastic panels that look like new and will last many years. Unfortunately it just seems that the idiots at Coverlay buy their materials at Walmart and don't care to improve their process.

I did see those other door panels. They look really nice! I probably would have gone that route had I known about them when I was in the market.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I used duplicolor adhesion promoter and a can of vinyl dye.i did my center console and it works great.i tried to scrap it off and I couldn t.pretty surprised how well they both worked together.they both said works on plastic

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I have the coverlay dash cover and I didn't know until just recently that they were painted. Those covers do suck pretty bad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals