• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Problems with 94 2.3 running lean

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Somewhat recently i got an old 94 that had sat for many years but only had around 100k miles on it. I've put some money into it and got it running but have been chasing problems with it. Currently im getting a code 172 which causes the engine light to turn on and off while driving. The truck also starts rough and bucks under load at somewhat lower rpms. We haven't done much modification to it other than taking the cat off, but im wondering if maybe this has given the engine enough flow to outrun the stock injectors? Any help is appreciated.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Temporary removal of cat will not outrun stock injectors. But maybe injectors need cleaning or replacement?

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
'94 doesn't have downstream O2, and functional cats are generally considered non-restrictive. I would look elsewhere.

Air leaks? Fuel supply? At 100k mi., the O2 sensor itself is probably due anyway.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Catalytic convertors do create a minor restriction, and that does cause your EGR to not flow correctly without it. It all works together. Would it be enough to make the engine buck and jerk and not run correctly? I doubt it.

If you want to take the O2 sensor and the computer trimming the fuel out of the equation, just unplug the O2 sensor and run it like that and see what happens. Once the engine warms up enough the computer will look to the O2 sensor for fueling information. If it doesn't get any info, it reverts back to the factory memory tables to fuel the engine.

Last edited:

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Temporary removal of cat will not outrun stock injectors. But maybe injectors need cleaning or replacement?
Injectors have been thoroughly cleaned and i've ran some 93 octane and seafoam through it aswell.

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
'94 doesn't have downstream O2, and functional cats are generally considered non-restrictive. I would look elsewhere.

Air leaks? Fuel supply? At 100k mi., the O2 sensor itself is probably due anyway.
I have replaced the o2 sensor because the original one was damaged, the fuel pump was also replaced and i checked fuel pressure and the pump was creating pressure within the OEM specifications. I have also thoroughly checked for air and vacuum leaks.

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Catalytic convertors do create a minor restriction, and that does cause your EGR to not flow correctly. It all works together. Would it be enough to make the engine buck and jerk and not run correctly? I doubt it.

If you want to take the O2 sensor and the computer trimming the fuel out of the equation, just unplug the O2 sensor and run it like that and see what happens. Once the engine warms up enough the computer will look to the O2 sensor for fueling information. If it doesn't get any info, it reverts back to the factory memory tables to fuel the engine.
I'll try this when i get a chance, i didn't know the computer had built in tables it would revert to, thanks for the info.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The fuel table works off of airflow and rpm, that's it, it's running lean because it is sensing less airflow through the MAF and the O2 sensor is correcting more than expected... If you haven't cleaned the MAF I would do that before doing anything silly...

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
The fuel table works off of airflow and rpm, that's it, it's running lean because it is sensing less airflow through the MAF and the O2 sensor is correcting more than expected... If you haven't cleaned the MAF I would do that before doing anything silly...
There's a long story to go with the MAF, but its clean and functioning properly.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If the MAF is functioning properly, you have good fuel injectors and are getting lean codes, you have an air leak "somewhere" where unmetered air is getting around the MAF, as dumb as it sounds it could be the PCV valve stuck open. I get a lean code on my '97 occasionally, haven't looked into it too much... on a '94 I might suspect a cracked lower intake manifold gasket where it meets the head... my turbo engine had some gasket chunks missing there and it ran odd...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Injectors have been thoroughly cleaned and i've ran some 93 octane and seafoam through it aswell.
93 octane doesn't clean anything, FYI. All grades of gas have the same detergent packages in them.

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
If the MAF is functioning properly, you have good fuel injectors and are getting lean codes, you have an air leak "somewhere" where unmetered air is getting around the MAF, as dumb as it sounds it could be the PCV valve stuck open. I get a lean code on my '97 occasionally, haven't looked into it too much... on a '94 I might suspect a cracked lower intake manifold gasket where it meets the head... my turbo engine had some gasket chunks missing there and it ran odd...
i could always try pulling the manifold off, i've done the old spray starting fluid and see if the idle rises, but thats not a perfect test by any means. additionally i'm not aware of a my truck having a PCV valve, its just a tube running from my valve cover to my throttle body.....

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I don't remember where the PCV is on a '94, on my '90 the 3/4" hose ran forward out of the oil separator then turned up behind the alternator, the PCV was the transition to 3/8" hose then it went behind the throttle body. On my '97 the PCV is in the middle of the intake manifold halves I think, it's been a year since I pulled the upper intake to change that half of the spark plugs...

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
'94 2.3L PCV couples two hoses of different sizes, right around the oil pressure sender, down a bit from the back-driver's corner of the head. Smaller top hose connects to the bottom of the throttle body. Per the manual, all trucks come with one, so I assume it's just harder to locate on manual-trans models because all the EGR equipment is directly in the way.

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Thought i should post an update, the issue was probably that the plug wires for cylinders 3 and 4 were swapped on the drivers side coil. I swapped them and its running and starting much better, still have the CEL but i'll clear it and see if it comes back. I'll post another update in here when i know for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals