• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Problem with AC/Idle

zann20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I am in need of assistance, My truck has had a problem idling with the ac or defrost on and i have no idea why. The truck idles fine when ac is off but when the ac/defrost is on then the rpms fluctuate from 1000 to about 500 until i start to accelerate again. does anyone have any idea as to what the problem could be? also I am fairly new to working on cars so detailed steps would be appreciated. Thank you.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Is the motor fuel injected? Maybe pull you IAC and clean it good both the valve and the inside of the throttle body, Open the throttle butterfly and clean good around the butterfly and venturi. It is easier to clean it if you pull the throttle body but allways install a new TB gasket. The computer controls engine idle it wouldnt hurt to clean the MAF senser with rubbing alcohol or electrical cleaner, do not use solvent. The TB you can clean with carb cleaner!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
IAC idle air control!

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If your idle operates normally without A/C I think the problem might be with the A/C and not the IAC.

Check your compressor belt first to make sure it's tight. Might also be a problem with compressor clutch or even high/low pressure switch.

Are you getting good steady cold air? How old is the truck?

Since you don't seem to have many DIY skills it will be difficult to troubleshoot on your own.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals