• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Problem with 2002 ranger transmission 5r44e (I think?)

Ohhnulix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I’m a little new to vehicles. But I recently bought a 2002 ranger edge 3.0 with some transmission problems, I’ve been messing with it because the guy said the transmission had just been rebuilt but was still not working right so he sold it. The truck acts like it doesn’t want to grab onto gears, reverse and drive do pretty much nothing until the truck rolls for a bit. But if I manually throw it into 2nd or 1st gear is runs like a champ. Any ideas as to what could cause this?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Start simple... check the fluid.

Warm the truck up (let it run at least 15 minutes) put it in park with the engine still running and check the fluid level. Also check color (should be bright red). It should not be dull, brown, black, foamy, or smell burnt.

Is the "overdrive off" light or check engine light on or flashing? If so take the truck to autozone or advance and have them pull the codes.

Unfortunately saying the transmission was "rebuilt" means absolutely nothing. The guy you bought it from could have simply lied. Or the place that rebuilt did a poor job, or didn't service the valve body, or worn hard parts.

Not moving like that usually indicates a pressure problem which could be alot of things. Bad pump, blown valve body seal, bad solenoids. The list goes on...

Ohhnulix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Start simple... check the fluid.

Warm the truck up (let it run at least 15 minutes) put it in park with the engine still running and check the fluid level. Also check color (should be bright red). It should not be dull, brown, black, foamy, or smell burnt.

Is the "overdrive off" light or check engine light on or flashing? If so take the truck to autozon or advance and have them pull the codes.

Unfortunately saying the transmission was "rebuilt" means absolutely nothing. The guy you bought it from could have simply lied. Or the place that rebuilt did a poor job, or didn't service the valve body, or worn hard parts.

Not moving like that usually indicates a pressure problem which could be alot of things. Bad pump, blown valve body seal, bad solenoids. The list goes on...
already checked the fluid, looks brand new.
when I drove the truck to my house when I first got it the O/D OFF light was flashing, didn’t know at the time that it was a check transmission light, and I can’t seem to get it to come back on so I can scan the codes. The major thing that confuses me is it drives perfectly fine if you manually put it into a gear, it just doesn’t want to grab into gear by itself

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Really common issue when OD sprag (one way clutch) has failed.
Brad

Ohhnulix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Really common issue when OD sprag (one way clutch) has failed.
Brad
Hm, a quick google search found a few other posts with the same issue, is this someone that can be fixed easily? Or would it be better just to throw a new tranny in

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Not a terribly hard repair if you have some wrenching experience. Transmission has to come out and pump removed plus some other parts. Couple of gaskets and seal will be needed with the new sprag also. Also the race that sprag runs on will probably be damage. You will need OD planet if it is.
Brad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals