• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pro comp 3.5 inch chevy leaf springs

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Anyone ever run the chevy 63 inch pro comp 13211 leaf springs in their truck and ditch the factory block? I've got a set in mine right now with a 2.5 inch dodge lift block in place of the factory 1.5 and beltech 6400 shackles in there also. The stock 91 chevy springs are pretty clapped out and I'm looking to upgrade, this would simplify things, I'm just wondering how they ride.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have those exact springs under my BII. They ride & flex well, though I usually am also carrying about 300lbs of camping gear in the back.
I ditched the ridiculously-thick ProComp overload leaf and replaced it with an OEM Ranger OL leaf (long side facing forward.. reverse of how it normally would go).

Over 10 or so years time, they've lost maybe not quite 1" of lift height. I beat on them pretty hard though...
I went to Chevy leafs because every stock-fitment spring I tried (including Skyjackers) wouldn't last even a year before bending at the forward eye (I guess the torque from 35" tires and contorting them over big rocks while doing 3-wheel stands was too much for them lol).
The ProComp bushings didn't last but maybe 5 years. I suspect they're just cheap bushings since bushings aren't something I've had issues with in the past before these ProComp springs.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I have those exact springs under my BII. They ride & flex well, though I usually am also carrying about 300lbs of camping gear in the back.
I ditched the ridiculously-thick ProComp overload leaf and replaced it with an OEM Ranger OL leaf (long side facing forward.. reverse of how it normally would go).

Over 10 or so years time, they've lost maybe not quite 1" of lift height. I beat on them pretty hard though...
I went to Chevy leafs because every stock-fitment spring I tried (including Skyjackers) wouldn't last even a year before bending at the forward eye (I guess the torque from 35" tires and contorting them over big rocks while doing 3-wheel stands was too much for them lol).
The ProComp bushings didn't last but maybe 5 years. I suspect they're just cheap bushings since bushings aren't something I've had issues with in the past before these ProComp springs.
I'm currently running a stock set of chevy leaves with the overload removed and a leaf from a ranger pack added on the bottom making a 4 leaf pack, ditched the factory block and added a 2.5 inch block from a second gen half ton Ram. It works fine and rides alright as it is but the springs are sagged out and worn almost a third of the way through in some spots. I figured I should clarify thst even though I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant the first time around. Truck is a regular cab long bed with a home built flatbed and a very full tool box on the back. I do tow with it on occasion and it's no stranger to being heavily loaded from time to time also.

I originally went to the Chevy leaves because they were readily available locally and could be had more cheaply than Ranger leaves, they added some lift and with a shackle I could get away with not stacking blocks, which I despise. Soon after I installed them I added an anti wrap setup and last year the dodge blocks got put under them as a band aid for the sag. I'm glad to hear they don't ride like garbage and it seems like it would be a better idea than just replacing the springs I have with stock replacements as I've considered.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah if you're always carrying a little bit of weight, the ProComp Chevy springs should not disappoint.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Gonna try them out, I've got a set coming, best price was from Amazon of all places.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Don't forget to post up some pics when you get them installed. :)

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Got the springs installed in the truck, tried installing them without the huge overloads that they come with, they were too soft for my liking and I lost 1.5 inches of ride height. Disassembled and reinstalled the overload leaves and my ride height is now exactly the same as it was with worn stock chevy leaves and a 3 inch block, which is exactly what I wanted. I feared the overloads would make the ride terribly stiff but it didn't, hitting bumps is much more progressive than the old springs were which is impressive and I like it. Hopefully the same holds true off road and I don't get beaten to death any more than before on the trails. I have included a couple of potato quality photos of the springs installed.
20221106_165241.jpg
20221106_165206.jpg

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Interesting... I think off road will be the test then (I was looking for flex a little more so than ride quality). If they restrict it too much, you could always play around with different OL leaves from various leaf packs (I don't recommend running without an OL at all though).

Looks good :cool:

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Interesting... I think off road will be the test then (I was looking for flex a little more so than ride quality). If they restrict it too much, you could always play around with different OL leaves from various leaf packs (I don't recommend running without an OL at all though).

Looks good :cool:
I wasn't running an overload before and it was alright but I've also got an antiwrap setup so axlewrap isn't a concern. I've got a set of stock ranger leaves with overloads which are way thinner, may get them re arched and swap to those if the need arises. I do tow and haul with the truck so it's a delicate balance as to what works or doesn't sometimes. I should have driven down to my local spring shop and taken a run up the RTI ramp before and after but didn't think of that until now, so unsure if they flex better or worse, time will tell

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals