• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prioritizing repairs, improvements, and upgrades on a work in progress

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
Looking for opinions, suggestions, or stories. When you bought a broken or beat up Ranger dreaming of transforming it into something better. What was your vision? How did you or did you, accomplish this?

I paid $600 bucks plus $125 towing for my 2nd Ranger (first 4x4 Ranger). A 2004 xlt 4.0l extended cab. Despite the hole in the passenger side valve cover from broken timing chain guide allowing chain to saw completely through the plastic cover, a row of dents along the passenger side, a dirty interior, and mismatched tires, I decided to buy it. Thought I might get lucky and just replace timing and maybe get a valve job even though I had never pulled a motor before. I'm a bit of a dreamer and an optimist or possibly I am just stupid enough to be dangerous.

Long story short......The new timing kit wasn't the fix. Pulling the motor a second time to re time the motor with the special timing tools everyone recommended buying wasn't the fix. Pulling the motor a 3rd time to get both heads machined wasn't the fix. Finally after a 4th time pulling the motor (alone, outdoors, on a slightly sloped gravel driveway) and rebuilding the entire motor was the answer!! Whew! Also, my $600 Ranger has tallied up at least $6000 in tools, parts, loctite, and lube. Not to mention a couple cases of beer.

At times I considered quitting and selling for scrap but knew I would hate myself for giving up and failing to follow through on my delusions of grandeur. I'm tenacious and stubborn. Just enough to be dangerous:)

So now I have a high mileage 4x4 that runs excellent except for a few vibrations, and some foreseeable preventative maintenance. My budget doesn't allow me to take less than a decade or so to turn it into something like RaceRanger's or many of the badass trucks I admire on this site. It's gonna be a process. Next on the list is a couple lower control arm ball joints coming in the mail tomorrow. Part of my desire to drive a truck that doesn't clunk, shimmy, wobble, gyrate, howl, moan, groan, or squeak excessively. A little of each is alright as long as they don't occur in unison. Progress not perfection. Little by little I am gaining confidence in my trucks abilities and reliability. I'm not going to include a complete list of repairs completed because I need a few days to write it out and would rather spend my time fixing shit before it breaks. Anyways, what's your story? Don't be afraid to include tragedy as well as triumph. I spent countless hours screaming unmentionable and garbled words as tears washed the bits of greasy grime from around my shrunken eye sockets. Yeah, not pretty:( But I continue to abuse myself non the less. Just stupid enough to be dangerous. Over and out!

Attachments

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You're committed at this point, so keep at it
& slowly\surely you'll have a reasonable\reliable vehicle
that you can take pride in, knowing you did the work yourself.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Looking for opinions, suggestions, or stories. When you bought a broken or beat up Ranger dreaming of transforming it into something better. What was your vision? How did you or did you, accomplish this?
I've never done that, have always taken the position that buying a vehicle which is in considerably less than desirable condition & attempting to *renew* it will always end up costing more money & my time instead of purchasing a well taken care of *turn-key* vehicle that I can get into & drive right now....and isn't that the goal in the end?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
having one of the engine hoist wheels hanging in the air is a nice touch.

I'm in the rust belt. our first consideration is if there will still be a Ranger left after the time needed to fix it up. :temper:

have fun wrenching. :icon_thumby:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I have bought a couple trucks that needed repairs and were loaded on a trailer after purchase. The engines always ran good but a couple needed either a clutch or an auto transmission. The rest of the trucks were in relatively good shape other wise... except for a good cleaning and some maintenance. It's always a gamble and you need to know when to throw in the towel and make them a parts truck. You're well beyond that at this point... so plug away until you're happy with it.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
You thought it would be cheaper & easier.. sure..

BUT.. at 6k, you're still under half the price of what a decent 4x4 ranger goes for up my way. So you're still ahead.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My parent's bought my '85 for me when I was in high school because they didn't think it would drive get very far from town and was only a two seater but was still good enough to run parts for my parents shop and shuttle my brother around in town.

19 years later it hauled the three of us across four states to the 20th anni TRS Roundup.

Only things original to the truck when I got it in 200 is some of the interior. the body and the frame... for now.

The first time my wife heard "one piece at a time" she freaked out yelling "that is your song!"

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
having one of the engine hoist wheels hanging in the air is a nice touch.

I'm in the rust belt. our first consideration is if there will still be a Ranger left after the time needed to fix it up. :temper:

have fun wrenching. :icon_thumby:
I just noticed that as well and wondered if anyone would comment. I was a shit show at times. Wasn't trying to make it end in disaster or injury but came damn close at times. Learned what NOT to do even if I tried getting things right the 1st time. One of the reasons I am sharing some of my mistakes so others might avoid them.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When I was a teenager I bought broken down junk vehicles all the time. Sometimes just picked up things for free that were headed to the crusher. I would tear out anything useable and frankenstien one running vehicle together at a time. I had one engine that was transplanted in no less than 4 different vehicles. It was my "good" engine that just got passed around from one junker to the next as they rotted away. I had piles of transmissions and would run them till they died then just throw in another one. Things like that were really easy back then. That GM inline six that got passed around even ended up in a 83 Ford F100 at one point and only took me a day to swap it in for the 460 that was in it previously. Everything just fit in anything back then. 30 minutes with a drill and a welder and you had new motor mounts, move the transmission cross member around a bit and wala, chevy inline six powered ford. Never spent much money though, just worked with whatever junk parts I could scrounge up.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I had a 1998 Ranger XLT, 2.5 Lima, manual regular cab that I did some what what you are doing. The engine was shot (blown head gasket took out #1 and #2 piston). I threw a junk yard engine in it that had 100,000 miles less on it than the original. Installed a new clutch and slave cylinder. Replaced the passenger door after I painted it to mach. Repaired the bottom of the rusted out tailgate and painted it to match. Replaced the rear axle with gears better matched to what the engine needed for the hilly terrain around here. And replaced a lot of worn out parts the the previous owner neglected to take care of because they weren't broken yet. I got the thing running pretty well and used it for a bit before I sold it to a friend of mine for his handyman business. He's still running it to this day. Though, it looks like he operates under the same maintenance philosophy that the owner of the truck before me has. He loves the thing and uses and abuses the heck out of it.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
1. Get it road legal.
Then get it running good one small thing at a time.
After it runs good, just start replacing/upgrading things as you see fit to make it the truck of your dreams.

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
When I was a teenager I bought broken down junk vehicles all the time. Sometimes just picked up things for free that were headed to the crusher. I would tear out anything useable and frankenstien one running vehicle together at a time. I had one engine that was transplanted in no less than 4 different vehicles. It was my "good" engine that just got passed around from one junker to the next as they rotted away. I had piles of transmissions and would run them till they died then just throw in another one. Things like that were really easy back then. That GM inline six that got passed around even ended up in a 83 Ford F100 at one point and only took me a day to swap it in for the 460 that was in it previously. Everything just fit in anything back then. 30 minutes with a drill and a welder and you had new motor mounts, move the transmission cross member around a bit and wala, chevy inline six powered ford. Never spent much money though, just worked with whatever junk parts I could scrounge up.
Sounds like the life! Thanks for sharing!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm all over the board on this... The best I've done is on my '97 Ranger, got it knowing it needed a front I beam (pulled out of a ditch with a chain in the middle of the drivers I beam) and somehow they took out the drivers door in the process, and replaced it with a white one (the truck is red...) and in the process lost the door panel... Got the thing for $450, half off weekend at the junkyard yielded a red door (slightly different tone in '94 than '97, but close enough), I beam and drivers seat for $135, then sold the white door for $35, put on some junkyard tires that I mounted myself, drove it for a while like that then found a different set of tires on craigslist for like $200 on Ranger wheels.

Or the '98 V8 Explorer I got at an auction for $400 would be better... put a rear drivers side seat in it (burned somehow?) and a junkyard stock stereo for $50 for both, wife drove it for like 3 years, her dad backed into the drivers door, it got totaled (was already a rebuilt title), got $750, bought it back, put a $25 mirror on it and pushed out the dents and that was 2 years ago :)

As far as prioritizing, I'm horrible at it, the '98 Explorer needs valve stem seals and valve cover gaskets really bad, I've had the parts for like 2 years... had the pre cat O2 sensors for about as long and it needs those too... the blend door went out last summer, I've had that part for a couple months...

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
I had a 1998 Ranger XLT, 2.5 Lima, manual regular cab that I did some what what you are doing. The engine was shot (blown head gasket took out #1 and #2 piston). I threw a junk yard engine in it that had 100,000 miles less on it than the original. Installed a new clutch and slave cylinder. Replaced the passenger door after I painted it to mach. Repaired the bottom of the rusted out tailgate and painted it to match. Replaced the rear axle with gears better matched to what the engine needed for the hilly terrain around here. And replaced a lot of worn out parts the the previous owner neglected to take care of because they weren't broken yet. I got the thing running pretty well and used it for a bit before I sold it to a friend of mine for his handyman business. He's still running it to this day. Though, it looks like he operates under the same maintenance philosophy that the owner of the truck before me has. He loves the thing and uses and abuses the heck out of it.
I can relate. My first Ranger was a 2wd 96 xl. Bought it off my parents who only used it on rare trips to the dump. Realized how easy it was to work on and that parts were easy to aquire for the most part. That boring, no frills Ranger turned out to be quite capable of adapting to most situations including making it up to our local ski mountain dozens of times with the addition of studs, well placed weight, and a little winter driving know how.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ahh yes... I have more than a few stories that I’ll have to get into later. Might have the most Ranger related stories on the site actually. But I’m about to go bend wrenches and try to make some more so story time may have to wait a bit. Every vehicle I’ve owned has its own story and adventure so far because nothing has been any resemblance of easy or normal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals