• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Primium Fuel (advantage?)

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if your engine is running properly, a stock engine will not activate the knock sensor. if your loosing timing regularly, you have a problem (excess carbon build-up is a common cause).

Remodelboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't want to start any crap, because I'm sure that I will be needing your collective help with my son's "new" Ranger, but I wanted to mention some of my observations regarding the use of premium fuel.

If anyone "accidentally" put regular in our 96 Acura RL, the car figures it out (maybe some kind of detonation sensor) and retards the timing - then I notice that the car has less pep and gets a couple of miles per gallon less than normal.

The same thing happens with an 06 BMW that we have and an 05 Infiniti that we had. So I'm convinced that there is some way that the "computer" knows when the fuel has a lower level of octane and "de-tunes" the car to prevent detonation.

I am currently driving a 6 cyl Tacoma that calls for regular gas. When I first took delivery, it must have had some stale and cheap gas because it performed poorly and made extra noise. When I put fresh fuel in it, it ran like a champ. Whenever I gas up with premium, the Tacoma has noticably more pep, is slightly more quiet and runs more smoothly - oh yeah, and gets a couple extra miles per gallon.

I think that the same thing is happening here that I mentioned with the other vehicles - but the manufacturer chose to rate the mpgs and vehicle for regular fuel. When I add premium, it sure seems like the "computer" recognises the extra octane and slightly advances the timing for a little extra pep and mileage.

We just got the Ranger 2.3L so I don't know much about the effects of premium on the performance or mileage - that's why I'm reading this thread.

Thanks for having this forum, I'm reading all 195 threads tonight so I can help my son deal with some of the issues that might arise with his "new" truck.

RC

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you again

i think the 2.3 needs all the help it can get

and if 87 if fine

then why do people run 101 racing fuel and why do they get much better performance out of it on a stock engine

i think that the higher the octain the higher the oxigen level is in the fuel and a higher burn level

Another absurd post that is absolute nonsense. :lame: :lame:
I had to give that 2 Lames.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't want to start any crap, because I'm sure that I will be needing your collective help with my son's "new" Ranger, but I wanted to mention some of my observations regarding the use of premium fuel.

If anyone "accidentally" put regular in our 96 Acura RL, the car figures it out (maybe some kind of detonation sensor) and retards the timing - then I notice that the car has less pep and gets a couple of miles per gallon less than normal.

The same thing happens with an 06 BMW that we have and an 05 Infiniti that we had. So I'm convinced that there is some way that the "computer" knows when the fuel has a lower level of octane and "de-tunes" the car to prevent detonation.

I am currently driving a 6 cyl Tacoma that calls for regular gas. When I first took delivery, it must have had some stale and cheap gas because it performed poorly and made extra noise. When I put fresh fuel in it, it ran like a champ. Whenever I gas up with premium, the Tacoma has noticably more pep, is slightly more quiet and runs more smoothly - oh yeah, and gets a couple extra miles per gallon.

I think that the same thing is happening here that I mentioned with the other vehicles - but the manufacturer chose to rate the mpgs and vehicle for regular fuel. When I add premium, it sure seems like the "computer" recognises the extra octane and slightly advances the timing for a little extra pep and mileage.

We just got the Ranger 2.3L so I don't know much about the effects of premium on the performance or mileage - that's why I'm reading this thread.

Thanks for having this forum, I'm reading all 195 threads tonight so I can help my son deal with some of the issues that might arise with his "new" truck.

RC

Lesson learned........If the manufacturer calls for premium fuel use it. If Ford specs regular fuel then putting premium won't do a doggone thing. What if I put 110 octance fuel in my Ranger, will it get 30 mpg and outrun Civics and Accords????

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lesson learned........If the manufacturer calls for premium fuel use it. If Ford specs regular fuel then putting premium won't do a doggone thing. What if I put 110 octance fuel in my Ranger, will it get 30 mpg and outrun Civics and Accords????
agreed:icon_thumby:... but i dont kno why u think 30 mpg sounds far fetched.. when i had stock wheels and tires i wud get aroung 31-33 mpg all highway going about the speed limit(65-70).. and even now with 30" bfg's and 4.56 rear end gears i average 28 mpg

kentuckyfireman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
my 08 ranger get the same fuel milage with 93 as it does with 87. the only difference i noticed was with 93 it runs a little smoother on the interstate

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals