• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

priming lifters?

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys im building my 302 for my 90 ranger and i got the cam and crank in and all and when i got to the lifters i stoped and wondered if i should take them apart and clean them or not, im reusing the same lifters and cam, there hydraulic, or should i just soak them in a bath of lucas oil stabilizer, or should i just wipe off the dust put some assembly lube on them and throw them in. I have an old book that says to prime them but ive heard to adjust them its a lot easier to do it when there empty. any help or comments are appreaciated.

Thanks
Jon

stranger

Reaction score
roller or flat,if flat get new ones,roller,lube,both prime oilpump a good minute before adjusting.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If the lifters are flat tappets, and you didn't mark them as to what cam lobe they went on, forget reuseing them, they wear in with the lobe they were on and mixing them is a sure fire recipe to wiping cam lobes. If they're rollers, just clean em with spray carb cleaner and dip them in clean oil before dropping them in place.

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there hydraulic flat ones, there labled so that dept is good, plus im on a real tight budget, collage student, but i just wasnt sure if adjusting the timing would be easier with them all the way down or not, but ill soak them in new oil, unless theres anything else i should know.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Dip them, then prime the oiling system before firing it up. What heads are on it ?

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Get a 6" 1/4" bit extension and spin the oil pump counterclockwise with a drill for about a minute. This will get the oiling system primed right up. I'd still put out a little green for a new cam and lifters though. The F4TE is a good cam and not too spendy. It will give you plenty of torque and a nice smooth idle. You could get a cam and lifter kit from Summit for cheap too. Just my $.02 worth of experience...

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put the lifters in a cup of clean oil and push the plunger in with an old pushrod to force the air out and clean oil in. I also prime the system, but it really isn't necessary if you fill the lifters. Another thing people used to do was pack the oil pump in grease before you install it. It will pull from the pan almost immediately and the grease breaks down quickly. I don't do that though. And defiantely use cam lube.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals