• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prepping for a turbo. 1994 Ranger xl

Taekwonbeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1994 Ford Ranger xl. It’s the OHC 2.4 I4 with the 5 speed manual. I know i need to get forged pistons and want to know if there’s anywhere i can buy new ones instead of trying to find something from a junkyard.

I am not open to swapping. I don’t want to swap it. Don’t tell me to swap it. I like the engine i have. No swap.

what other upgrades do i need to do to the engine to handle some boost. I’d like to give it at least 10lbs of boost, maybeee 13 or 15 ish.

Is it plausible to get an ECU to tune it for better fuel injection and maybe do a 2 stage tune so i can drive like a sane person?

what do i need to do to the transmission to handle that kind of power?

What fuel injectors should i buy? Forgot about that. And should i get new spark plugs? Idek im pretty new to this.

Sorry for the post being all over the place, I’m pretty new here. Feel free to dumb it down so i understand what you’re saying.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: DE2235E7692E8C: July 5th, 2021

Blmpkn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
Theres people here with more knowledge about turboing that motor than me, that'll give you more complete info than me.. but I can generalize a bit..

For 10+ psi your likely gonna want a fully forged bottom end, not just pistons.

Considering the truck is obd1, going to a standalone ecu like megasquirt would be a good idea if not a requirement.

Stock clutch will need to be replaced at a minimum.

Spark plugs at least a couple heat ranges cooler.

Definitely bigger injectors and pump.

Upgraded cooling system unless your gonna run straight corn gas.

If its going to be a daily driver don't cheap out on a turbo, or your wastegate.