• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Preperations for long trip question

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Preperations for a long trip underway,
NJ to Milwaukee (and back). 1800 mile round trip.

What would you replace before the trip?

My front seals are done.
Serpentine belt failry new, alternator new, starter new, battery new.
Manual hubs put on last week.

Replacing the driveshaft center bearing next week.
Will check out brakes next week.

Going to look into AAA.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you have AT&T wireless get their roadside too. Its about $3 a month and as far as towing coverage, you have to go to AAA platinum coverage to beat it. Maybe change the fluids, I'd get some gas too.:icon_twisted:

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
supercharge it to make the trip go faster:icon_twisted:

nah actually you check more stuff than i do before i go on my regular 500 miles trip back home from college. but i'm also under my truck more times than i can count haha... i guess just check your thermostat(i.e. how many miles are on it?) might be worth changing it, and checking your fluids of course, look for leaks. lights? i guess just anything you can think of haha... thats a long ass trip too! how days is it gonna take ya?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
On a 96?

I drove my Tempo down to Fla and back three times in three years...and didn't have to replace or prepare anything for the trip...just regular maintenance and bring cash in case you have to buy gas in Canada...not that you're going to come up this way, but sometimes those south winds can blow you off course...

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
I would go rent a car from Avis. But that is just me.
Give her some clean oil and new filters before you go. Air your tires up to recomended to keep your MPG's up. Have a safe trip and stop by the Waukesha engine plant and send me a hat as you pass by.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would swap all the water hoses. A busted one will shut you down fast. Maybe a fuel filter too. Make sure the fluids are all full and haul ass.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
At little advice from somebody who's done a similar length trip (NH to Indianapolis & back) in a Ranger: If you don't have a CD player, get one. It'll make the trip better.
Oh, and watch out for the cops in Ohio.

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
At little advice from somebody who's done a similar length trip (NH to Indianapolis & back) in a Ranger: If you don't have a CD player, get one. It'll make the trip better.
Oh, and watch out for the cops in Ohio.
hahaha, watch out for the cops everywhere

x2 on the cd player, makes my 1000 mile trip from college back home tons better!

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wax it for better MPG's.

I gave my 2000 to my son to drive from VA to AZ.

We checked the tire pressures (spare was low) and waved goodbye.

It had a fresh oil change and lube. I also disassembled, cleaned and regreased the two pulleys' bearings. The Serp was new too. If you keep up with the routine stuff, you shouldn't have any reservations with driving it a long distance. To me, it's no different than back and forth to work or wherever for a month or two.

I'd drive it without a second thought. But I'd take a GPS. Cracker Barrel rents books on tape, drop off at any of their restaurants.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Another pice of advice: Leave as early as you can in the day (on the road by 4:00 AM would be a good time.
You can put a solid 160 miles behind you before most people think about getting out of bed. Plus, there's less traffic, except for trucks, around that time too.
If you're going to spend a night, the Holiday Inn Expresses are good values and they're very clean and comfortable. Oh yeah, free breakfast too.
If you've got time, try to find a local joint NOT A CHAIN) to eat at. They tend to have better food for the same or better prices. Plus, you get try something different that way too.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
satellite radio is my choice.
you should be able to add emergency towing on your current insurance for just a very few dollars per month... i pay $3.00, with no limits on number of tows or how far really.
and double check to make sure your cell phone covers everywhere you are planning on going. i had to switch to a different one last summer for a trip to Nevada.
one last thing, stay out of the bigger cities during morning and evening rush hours!

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HAHAHA I have made this trip before. My buddy moved from the northside of Chicago (you will drive between our houses) to south jersey. Ohio sucks ass for driving, other than that you have covered everything so far. And what you havent has been suggested.

I maintain basic maintenance on my wheeling truck and drove it 1000 miles rountrip a few weeks ago with no hickups. Plan your route, know what the low gas light means, and try to maintain an idea of how far it is to the next gas station.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
On the gas thing: when the gauge hit 1/4 full, that's when you need to figure out where the next gas is. That way, you've got a 50-60 mile cushion before you're in dire straits.

Oh, on the subject of music: Most anything by Joe Satriani makes good driving music. It's good, classic American rock. I'd start by snagging his "Anthology" double disk first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals