• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Preparing for 4.0 swap

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
I have a 91 4.0 i plan to swap into my 83 ranger but has high miles, and burns oil, i also have a 93 4.0 that has 100000 less miles, but the small amount of work ive put into diagnoseing it hasent got things right. Would you use the lower mile engine or just build the 91 block. Im having a hard time deciding, just spend the money on a rebuild, or track down the issue on a 120000 mile motor. Bonus to the 91 block is it could be bored to 4 inches for possible future noises hint hint.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
What are you hoping to achieve from this adventure? Are you aware that you will be opening up a world of headaches unless the 83 is already geared for a EFI engine? Wiring? What transmission are you swapping? exhaust? The 4 is a stout motor and boring it out would probaly be a money pit that is not needed and if burning oil why not re-ring it and be done with it. (if you are good with tools it is easy to do in your shop). if you are on an unlimited budget good luck to you.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Usually valve seals on 4.0....they seem to spit em out from sloppy rocky with poor maintenance...at this age. Often just a pushrod and rocker kit with fresh seals nurses em along if compression is ok ..

Use whatever system is complete. 93 is a crossover period...well every year for a 4.0 it seems .. but starting then there are bigger variables....

Reactions: gaz

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Oh im definatly aware of the hurdles ive got the wiring sussed out will just have to make a few conections from the 91 dash harness, to the 83 harness, keeping all the original wiring for the 83 except im going to use the b.w.p. from the explorer for dash to engine. Using the 91 guage cluster to gain tach and ease issues with fule guage, just have to build a custom dash panel to accept it, fule sysyem is coming from the explorer as well except, i still need to pick up a ranger fuel tank. Using a m50d from a 93 explorer, 1354 manual shift from my 83 2.8, 91 explorer ttb, 98 explorer 8.8 ls w disk. Custom length drive shafts. I have everything but the fuel tank and shafts, just a matter of deciding on engine plan, and getting shafts, and fuel tank, also ill just build my own dual exhaust i thought about headers but who knows, and a few hundred hours of my time lol. Point anything out you think i missed.

As far as what im looking for out of the engine i mainly want reliability, but the little devil on my shoulder screems more power lol, i thought about reringing the 91 block but it has 230000 miles on it most of that to a fire dept, than as a mud truck. I wanted to stay with the simpler batch fire system without egr from the 91 for simplicity. But id like the better 98 heads but then i need new pistons cuz i dont want to run 11/1 compresion, thinking about a cam but, the simple side of me says stock rebuild.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you have given it some thought about the obstacles you will be getting into. as for the engine, a 4L (early batch) have a strong bottom end, so maybe just an easy rebuild rings, bearings, gaskets, bolt together after checking the other internals will be just a good call on the best block you have or can find? Years back I went down the 410 route on a full build, was fun but that small boost vrs price, wasn't worth it in my opinion.

Now the V8 build is more to my OH YA.

So basically comes down to your what do i expect from the truck and how far down the rabbit hole do i want to go.

Myself, i would do as I stated, basic rebuild and pocket the money for the fuel tank.

cheers

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
So i called a couple of engine builders/machine shops around here today 2 of 3 in town to see about getting a quote for a rebuild. The first place instantly shot me down because ALL THE HEADS ARE CRACKED ALWAYS. according to them. The second seams to have just quoted the price from the O'Reillys website, because it was the same. And i just dont know if i would trust that anyway, how do you all feel about the parts house long blocks. I really just want mine rebuilt, i know i can do the majority of it myself, but ive never built a engine before, i just dont know if i want this to be my first time, without oversight from a knowledgeable person. Anyone want to do it for me lol jk, i plan to possibly call some shops in the tacoma seattle area but i really dont know.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
AHHH i thought you were already going to build it yourself.

this changes everything then.......

Too bad you didn't live down the street from me... Can't help you and I have no advise to it if you take it to a shop. (except... bend over)

cheers

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
I want too its just i dont want to fubar it ive done enough research to know the different options available, and i know if i follow the book it should come out right butt !!!!!. And i know the price i got was 2200$ and i could build a nice engine for that as long as i dont screw it up.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
You could stand on one sid of the border and i the other and you could coach me lol

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
TOG,

I would use the 91 block, the 93 heads and start with a QUALITY machinist and their best performance valve job, along with what Bobby is saying about the valve train issues. The solutions are known:

*rebuilt rockers by Delta Cam of Tacoma Wa $150 (including shipping both ways as the use a set of your donors)
*adjustable push rods by White Brothers $150 including shipping (once length has been measured)

If you want more performance while your in there;

custom reground cam by Oregon Cam Grinders of Vancouver WA $200 (including shipping both ways)

Clean both injector sets and pick one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals