• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Preemptive Water Pump Replacement

alteredwalter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi folks,
I am in the middle of swapping out the heads on my 2005 Ranger (120,000 miles) and I am wondering if it would be a good idea to change out the water pump while I have good access. The fan and rad are off and all of the hoses and brackets are out of the way. It looks like it would be a pain to change later on once every thing is back together.

To this point there are no coolant leaks I can see and the fluid was very clean. The pump spins fine and the bearing seems tight not sloppy. As far as I know the pump is fine, but it seems like others are having issues around the 100-120K mark so I thought it might be a good idea to just go ahead and replace it. But since some of the bolts go through the timing cover and I don't want to compromise the TC seal I wanted to get some opinions from more experienced members and see if:
  1. It is a good idea to replace working parts at regular intervals as a preventative measure
  2. Are there any tips or things I should look out for if I do go ahead.
In addition any recommendations for aftermarket water pumps would be welcome. The AC Delco gold ones are a bit cheaper than the Motorcraft but not sure it is worth the $25 savings.

Thanks in advance

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
If you do, replace with it with good one, many parts are junk aftermarket these days, ranger waterpumps is one of them....ac compressors and alternators as well.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Since you got easy access & 100kMiles on the pump, I would swap it out & cleanup+keep old pump as a backup. I know they say the bearings are sealed, but I've always soaked both side of bearing with penetrating oil for a couple of hours before putting a pump on.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'd replace it. Easier and cheaper to do it now than it will be down the road.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
My water pump has 263K miles on it and is the original from the factory. I was going to replace it when I did the timing chain system rebuild at 255K, but the Ford dealer sent me the wrong pump. They did exchange it for the right one, but I had the engine back together and in the engine bay. Someday when I get around to it with some other work needed, I will install it. The water pump was still in excellent condition at 255K. I think at 120K yours should have many miles left on it if you have taken good care of cooling system.

However, you never know when something like that could fail. Then again, you could replace it and still have a failure. My brother, who is a professional mechanic, tells his customers; don't replace original equipment if it is still working. He has found that many replacement parts tend to not last as long as original equipment.

It is really your call on this. I always use parts from a Ford dealer (usually online orders after finding the least expensive) or Motorcraft from a place like Rock Auto.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the 3.0L Vulcan a common issue was the timing cover gasket leaking coolant, there are two coolant passages, and either can leak
This is a pic of the block with the two coolant passages: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/w68Ld8eKp7k/maxresdefault.jpg

And a pic of the front cover, with a sentiment about its design:
Water pump bolts to the front cover

Reason I bring this up is that water pump replacement is fine, when its weep hole or gasket is leaking or there is an overheating issue you think is water pump related
But if you are just going to replace a 3.0l Vulcan water pump on speculation or general maintenance, I would also do the front cover gasket...........or don't bother
It could last the life of the vehicle, water pump or front gasket, or it may not

alteredwalter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of your input.
I had pretty much talked myself into swapping it out but the last 2 posts have me thinking I am best to leave the current pump in place and make peace with the fact I will have to get back in there down the road. The truck (which I bought last year and promptly had to garage due to the head issue) has clearly been well cared for based on how clean everything is inside. And with my luck I will no doubt end up having RonD's timing cover issue down the road so I will deal with it then.

Thanks again!

Blueovalmadman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Sport
Transmission
Automatic
Is replacing the water pump a fairly simple process or is it difficult? I’m asking because I noticed coolant on the floor of my garage. I don’t know if it’s weeping or leaking from somewhere else. How do I find out & if I do replace it do I attack it from the top or bottom?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Lay under and find the coolant trail and trace it from there. Look at the bottom of the pump for the weep hole, too. If its wet, change it before that sucker starts spraying fluid.

No idea in easiest change though, i havent had to work on my ranger yet as i only got it from my uncle last summer

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'm assuming the timing cover will need replacing. the pump by itself is easy.

for the timing cover:
on an engine stand it's easy.
in the Ranger the engine sits low, makes it hard to reach.
the frame is in the way from down below.
it can be done, just awkward. unbolt and move the accessories to the side for better access.

if possible get a loaner cooling system pressure tester. you can pressurize the system without the engine running.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You could always have a trusted mechanic do the water pump if/when it goes....I have a guy that works on my truck when i don't want to......when I was younger i did everything, now i defer on a few things and its actually a good feeling NOT working on it sometimes

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals