• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pre runner build plan, idea and questions.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1993 ford ranger extended cab 4.0 automatic and its been a life dream to get into racing. the plan is to build my truck using some connections and personal skill. power wise within 2 or 3 years i will put fords new 3.7 into it(lots of work i know) my issue is when it comes to the trany which do i go for auto or manual? keep in mind these parts have a 85 percent chance that they will be coming out of a 2011 or newer mustang (totaled obviously). so with this in mind im starting on the suspension this year so my first real question is wich axle do you all think would be best for this set up? 8.8 28 0r 30 spline or 9 inch? i know ls is a must but which gears are more ideal and is a true locker necessary ? thank you

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
leaf sprung? linked? what class do you want to race?

a lot of guys run a c4 behind a 4.0 or 302 due to ease of finding parts, many going down that road before, etc. those are a semi-automatic i guess you could call it. you shift the gears manually, but it still has a torque converter. IMO, i think automatics are better since the torque converter is there to absorb shock from skipping whoops and the like, 5 speeds tend to blow up.

why do you want to put the 3.7 in there? idk if either trans will be able to hold up to big tires and the rigors of high speed off roading.

axle depends on budget. most guys run a 9" due to the width and full size bolt pattern. it's also a lot easier to swap gears if you want, just pull the 3rd and put a different one in and re-fill the fluid. plus, since it's a stamped metal center section you don't have the cast section like the 8.8 does and the problem of the axle tubes trying to pull out and leak. either axle can work for leaf sprung or linked trucks, definitely 31 spline 9" or 8.8.

gears depend on tire size, transmission, and motor, figure that out later. if it's a dedicated off road race truck, a full spool is what you want.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
leaf sprung is the way i perfer. i want to run the sportsman truck. the big reason i want to put the 3.7 in is because i can get the motor and trany with less than or around 30 000 miles on it for around $1700 (my connections) and say i did that, other reason is more power to weight, also cheaper than rebuilding my motor i believe. it will not be a dedicated off road it will still be some what of a dd but not while im working on it. i had thought about a ls 9 or something with an e locker

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
why not a 302 with a c4?

also, for a leaf pack that will keep up with linked trucks all day look at the giant 64 kit, it's awesome. 1450 is seemingly mini TT's with cabs on them now. big v8's, links, and lots of money. HDRA (High desert racing association) has class 2000 i think it is that's seeming easier to be competitive in, but i don't think the 3.7 would be legal. i haven't looked over the rule book in awhile and they could have changed the requirement, but it used to be v6's in mini trucks that came in the vehicle from the factory iirc.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1993 ford ranger extended cab 4.0 automatic and its been a life dream to get into racing. the plan is to build my truck using some connections and personal skill. power wise within 2 or 3 years i will put fords new 3.7 into it(lots of work i know) my issue is when it comes to the trany which do i go for auto or manual? keep in mind these parts have a 85 percent chance that they will be coming out of a 2011 or newer mustang (totaled obviously). so with this in mind im starting on the suspension this year so my first real question is wich axle do you all think would be best for this set up? 8.8 28 0r 30 spline or 9 inch? i know ls is a must but which gears are more ideal and is a true locker necessary ? thank you
9" if you plan on a 3.7 eco.

ill be watchin this one. post some pics!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd go 9" as well.
That 3.7 is a pretty powerful engine for an N/A V6. I think it would be amazing in a ranger.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
well looks like it's a nine inch just incase. Now that you mention its naturaly aspirated I think that is illegal which really sucks I would really like to do that swap.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well looks like it's a nine inch just incase. Now that you mention its naturaly aspirated I think that is illegal which really sucks I would really like to do that swap.
Huh? Why would that be illegal.....?

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I was talking about racing when i said that my be illegal. there are 2 reasons why i want the 3.7 over the 5, one is i work for a ford dealership and im my experience the 3.7 is much more durable and reliable we have had multiple 5.0 comeback blown all i have to say is do not put an aftermarket chip in those.the other reason is 5.0 is too big according to my measurements and the 3.7 will be extremely tight and may not fit if i do a coilover front suspension

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
If size and space wasn't an issue i would but the tauras sho motor in there 3.5 eco but its not the regular 3.5 eco this one has 2 turbos

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals