• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pre-Load adjustment on Fox 2.0 coil overs w/ 5” RCD lift?

ZempOh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all,

hoping to replace my coil overs and springs this weekend. I got the fox 2.0’s to replace my blisteins up front. My question is where do I set the pre-load adjustment collar? Is there specs or a way to calculate this? Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Hi all,

hoping to replace my coil overs and springs this weekend. I got the fox 2.0’s to replace my blisteins up front. My question is where do I set the pre-load adjustment collar? Is there specs or a way to calculate this? Thanks.
Suspension gurus always recommend a "sag" amount of Apx. 20-25%. So measure your full travel bu jacking the front up until the wheels come off the ground, then with the new coilovers installed do the same test to see IF you have the same travel, then with only the preload nut set to zero takeup, drop the truck down & measure how muck it settles. You may have to drive it until the front tires get settled.
Measure how far your into the shock compression. Then adjust the preload nut (up on the jack, never with weight on the shock) until you have that 20-25% sag.

These are common rules 1) never adjust a coilover shock with weight on it, 2) always use the 20-25% sag rule. Don't forget about your negative travel as no one ever wants their tires coming off the ground except when they plan on it. Hope this helps. Now lets have some pictures.....

MaicoDoug

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals