• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Powerdome hood swap fitment issue

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm putting an 01-03 "Edge" powerdome hood on my 99 Ranger XLT and keeping the stock XLT grill and headlights for now. I've seen enough photos of it to know that it works and can be done. The hood to grill lines aren't perfect but it works and doesn't look terrible. At this point I have the hood bolted to the hinges but I can't get it to latch properly. I have got the hood latch adjusted all the way up and the striker spaced down nearly a half inch with washers to get it to latch at all and it feels like it still needs more. I've never heard of this being needed for this swap, and all the pictures I've seen look like they still ahve a better hood to grill gap than I've managed. .

Any of y'all run into this before? How did you correct it? Is there an adjustment I'm missing?

I'm almost wondering if there is a way to adjust the grill and/or header panel down so I can atleast remove the spacers. If I did that though the the hood wouldn't line up with the fenders, it might be sitting too low. Just kind of at a loss on how to get this fitting and latching right.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, I didn’t realize any of this was a potential problem… I was intending on swapping a powerdome hood on my green 00. I got a fiberglass one awhile back and had thought about punching holes in the cowl side to make it sort of like a cowl induction.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't think it normally is. I think there is either a problem with my hood, my latch, or adjustments of body panels.

Hood: Its fiberglass, if it bends that much it's breaking. Besides the curve of the hood matches the curve of the fenders. I also swapped the striker from the stock hood to see if that made a difference, it didn't.

Latch: Maybe, I haven't got another here to compare it to. Was working just fine with orignal hood. I've currently got it adjusted up as much as possible. I could modify the latch to raise it higher, but that whouldn't be necessary and I Want ot use it as a last resort.

Body panels: I don't know what was done on the front of this truck before I got it. I do know that the PS side fender and grille have never been off in the time I've had the truck. I removed the driver side fender the other day to run some wires behind it. I'm pretty certain that I got it back in the same spot, but it's not preventing the hood from doing like its supposed to. It's almost like the header panel, grill headlights, etc need to move down relative to the core support, but I don't see how that's going to happen and still line up with the fenders.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hope someone has some more input on this, I was of the understanding that the problem you’re experiencing isn’t an issue with this change and the only possible issue was the fit against the headlights and grill, which would be easy enough for me to do at this point and is a thought I’ve been kicking around

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Powerbulge hood?

What is that? It ended in 03 though? Dang since mine is an 04.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Powerbulge hood?

What is that? It ended in 03 though? Dang since mine is an 04.
It was like a mini Superduty hood, I’ve seen them on some trucks newer than 03, but they were aluminum instead of fiberglass. I got a fiberglass one with a couple repairable cracks awhile back for free. Haven’t found a good deal on another though yet.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We have a couple newer Rangers at work for work trucks. I've looked at the hoods, and to me at least, it seems a new grill would be needed to match the hood. Same with the bumper, the dip in the center looks deeper than the dip on my 98. I've wanted to put a newer bumper on the front, but don't think it would match the grill assembly. Input?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I was under the impression that doing this swap required pretty much everything.. core support, bumper, ect

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't know about the core support. The newer ones we have at work, pretty much look the same under the hood. Guess I am just going to find a new bumper for a 98 - 00. I want to do a face lift this year, the front end is getting tired. Already have a new grill, just need to get it painted satin black. I ordered it that way, but it fookin came fake chrome. Idiots!

But, I also had to get a new grill / headlight surround for my 04 Lightning. The factory one was cracked as well. Only one I could find is also fake chrome. There is a body shop a half mile away, I'm going to deliver the parts there tomorrow.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It was like a mini Superduty hood, I’ve seen them on some trucks newer than 03, but they were aluminum instead of fiberglass. I got a fiberglass one with a couple repairable cracks awhile back for free. Haven’t found a good deal on another though yet.
The actual powerdome hood was fiberglass and came on 2002-2003 Edge and 4x4 trucks. All 2004+ trucks came with a similar appearing hood, but it was aluminum and didn't have as much rise. Using the 2004+ hood does require using the 2004+ grille and header panel.

I think I gave $100 for mine many years ago, but just now getting around to trying to use it. The grill and header panel might be coming before long, but I can't find one used local right now. Don;t mind buying new, but I've got too many other expenses at the moment to buy all new parts and headlight assemblies right now.

We have a couple newer Rangers at work for work trucks. I've looked at the hoods, and to me at least, it seems a new grill would be needed to match the hood. Same with the bumper, the dip in the center looks deeper than the dip on my 98. I've wanted to put a newer bumper on the front, but don't think it would match the grill assembly. Input?
The hood will fit with the 99 grill. Here's one of many examples I found when searching this recently. https://www.ranger-forums.com/exterior-semi-tech-39/edge-hood-99-a-57580/

Putting my stock hood on a truck with the 2002-2003 Edge/4x4 grill will leave a big gap at top of the grill, but it works too.

I have it on good authority (and seen the pictures) that bumper assemblies from 1998-2011 will interchange. I will be putting an 05-07 bumper on mine once I figure out all the parts I need (or find a complete used one) and have the spare cash to put towards it.

I was under the impression that doing this swap required pretty much everything.. core support, bumper, ect
Definitely not the core support or bumper. Core supports are the same from 1998-2011, the bumpers I mentioned above. If you want to update the grill to a newer design then you will have to get the matching header panel and head lights.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Cobra hood started as a Powerdome. I've never heard of these issues with installing one on a 98-00 nose. It is a heavier hood than the aluminum flat hood. Any chance that's impacting it?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It is a heavier hood than the aluminum flat hood. Any chance that's impacting it?
Yes and no.

My dad has a 2002 4x4 with the powerdome stock. I got a chance to look at his truck yesterday, but unfortunately wasn't able to get.mi e.iver there to compare side by side.

Yes, it could definitely have an impact on "popping" the hood. His response.exactly like mine does when the release is pulled. The latch releases, but the hood doesn't pop up like with the aluminum hood. I'm fine with that if it's supposed to be that way.

No, I don't think weight should be causing a difference with the alignment/adjustment. Without having them side by side his latch looks the same as the one on my truck. The striker looks the same as the one that came on the hood I have. His doesn't need or have spacers on the striker, and it seems to close better than mine does. Again didn't have the side by side to compare.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had my 98's hood replaced in 2015. It's a stock look steel hood. Pops up without issue when I pull the hood release. Of course, there are a lot of holes in the hood under that scoop. And two big holes on either side, replaced with plastic vents. So maybe it's just a little lighter.
00021.JPG

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The OG fiberglass PowerDome/Edge hood fits a 98-00 I've done it a few times and one of my rangers has one right now. It is a simple bolt on. The gap is tight to the grille, tighter than it is on an Edge, as the edge grille is frameless at the top.

Adjusting the hood-to-hinge bolts, the rubber spin up stoppers, and adjusting the radiator support's catch latch up to max was all that was needed, but it is a tight shut. Although there was no modification to do, the hook on the hood itself should not need to be changed or spaced down at all.

Here is my 2000 with both a 98-00 grille/headerpanel and a 01-03 grill/headerpanel.

image.png

image.png

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The OG fiberglass PowerDome/Edge hood fits a 98-00 I've done it a few times and one of my rangers has one right now. It is a simple bolt on. The gap is tight to the grille, tighter than it is on an Edge, as the edge grille is frameless at the top.

Adjusting the hood-to-hinge bolts, the rubber spin up stoppers, and adjusting the radiator support's catch latch up to max was all that was needed, but it is a tight shut. Although there was no modification to do, the hook on the hood itself should not need to be changed or spaced down at all.

Here is my 2000 with both a 98-00 grille/headerpanel and a 01-03 grill/headerpanel.

View attachment 88315

View attachment 88316
How do you go about lining those up?
I'll be pulling some motors soon and am worried about being able to get them re-aligned

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals