• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power window wiring diagram?

honda34dad

Reaction score
Anyone have a wiring diagram for an ‘89 driver side door with power windows for a BII or Ranger? I have checked the wire diagrams and the power window wire diagram is for pre ‘89, as far as I can tell.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Not a very good diagram attached, but it has the door lock wiring in it for a 1989.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
This attachment has the power window wiring for a 1990.

Attachments

honda34dad

Reaction score
Oh, ok. I was looking for the actual wire layout. Colors of wires and what they feed into/from.

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Power windows;

The above diagrams show a lightblue/black feeds power to both the door window switches. Red/black and yellow black feed the pass side door from the driver's side door. White/black and yellow go from the driver's switch to the drivers window motor. Red/yellow and yellow/red go from the pass door switch to the pass side window motor.

Power locks.

The above diagrams show a black/white feeds power to both lock switches. Pink/lightgreen and pink/yellow feed the pass side switch from the driver's side switch. A pink/black and pink/orange leave the pass side switch and feed all the locks.

honda34dad

Reaction score
I guess it would help if I understood diagrams a bit more. After a knowledge drop, I got what I needed. Splice a few wires together to make power window buttons from an ‘89 door work with ‘86 wiring, hope to finish in the morning and test it out!!!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Power windows are a "reversal, rest at ground" circuit. Basically, each window motor has two wires. Pressing a window switch interrupts and changes one of these wires only, from being grounded to having power. The second wire remaining grounded; having power and ground the motor turns. Release the switch and both wires return to being grounded. The motor wires are always grounded unless a switch is moved; this is the "rest at ground" part.

The switch can be pressed two ways, alternating which of two wires gets power. This is the "reversal" part.

The passenger side (and the rears on a four door) has its own second switch, which is simply in series with the driver's master switch. Pressing the passenger switch has the same operation- it changes one wire only from ground to power.

A key thing to remember, is that everything grounds back through the driver (or master) switch. And the switch operation has to interrupt or open the wire getting power, because it's always grounded. Otherwise, just putting power on a motor wire, is a direct short and not good for the wiring and switches.

The wiring diagram should hopefully make more sense with a better understanding of how the circuit works. Here's the 1989 EVTM power window diagram and the troubleshooting page.

honda34dad

Reaction score
After splicing 2 separate power and ground wires apart/together and using the ground for the lock switch as a ground for the passenger windows, all seems to be working. Driver side up is down but for a mud truck that I’ll be playing in, good enough for me! Who woulda thunk that the yellow wire from an ‘86 wiring bundle connects to the red wire coming off a connector instead of the yellow one. Yellow goes to red and white and black go to yellow 😅

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals