• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power to trailer

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Trailers are strange. There’s common colors for the 4 pin and 5 pin, unless someone “fixed” something, but there’s no industry standard colors for it. And 6 or 7 pin plugs can have different wire colors and different pin-outs depending on who did it. And most people who do trailer wiring should be strung up. No wonder so many people have so much trouble with trailer lights working. I’ve gone slash and burn on trailer wiring, only solder/heat shrink or weatherpack connectors and LED lighting. I want it to work right every time I hook up.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've gone through maybe 3 of those trailer light converters on mine, they apparently don't have very robust protections against short circuits in the trailer wiring, so it's not surprising to see you had a bad one.

I'd suggest clean up that trailer wiring best you can, and maybe run it through some split wiring loom tubing, then tape up the tubing with electrical tape. If you can stagger those crimped butt splices so they aren't all right next to each other should help protect against shorts as well (too often I see loose strands of wire start to poke out of those... soldering the wires and using shrink tubing to insulate is a much better deal, but does require a small bit of skill to do).

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I've gone through maybe 3 of those trailer light converters on mine, they apparently don't have very robust protections against short circuits in the trailer wiring, so it's not surprising to see you had a bad one.
I’ve had quite a few converters go bad over the years, so I just build my own from a few relays. Here’s a quote from my post detailing how I built it:

Parts needed: (total cost...$0.00, I had everything already.)
3 Bosch type 5 terminal relays
3 pigtails
1 fuse holder
assorted elec connectors

I have a schematic all drawn out, but no way to post it. Here's the pin outs for each relay:

R-1 (brake relay):
85- Input from vehicle stop lights
86- ground
30- fused power from battery
87- to terminals 87a on both R-2 and R-3
87a- to terminals 87 on both R-2 and R-3

R-2 (Left turn relay)
85- input from vehicle left turn signal
86- ground
30- output to trailer left turn bulb
87- from term 87a on R-1
87a- from term 87 on R-1

R-3 (Right turn relay)
85- input from vehicle right turn signal
86- ground
30- output to trailer right turn bulb
87- from term 87a on R-1
87a- from term 87 on R-1

I figure with the stop lights off the blinkers will flash in sequence with the tow vehicle. With the stop lights on, the blinkers will flash alternately of the tow vehicle. The trailer lights are all powered off the fused input on R-1, the only thing the vehicle wiring has to do is turn on the relays.
With a few sealed relays, this thing will handle way more amperage then any converter on the market and last forever.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I’ve had quite a few converters go bad over the years, so I just build my own from a few relays. Here’s a quote from my post detailing how I built it:

With a few sealed relays, this thing will handle way more amperage then any converter on the market and last forever.
I use to do the very same thing on street legal buggies to run turn signals from an ON-OFF-ON toggle switch. Works like a dream... I got the idea from working with some Mil Spec stuff.

Never once thought about replacing one of convertor gizmos with the set up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals