• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Power to fuel pump

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
soon-to-fire up 2.3 turbo lima
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
Just converted to EFI (Lima 2.0 to 88 turbo coupe 2.3) and I don’t have power to the fuel pump while cranking, which I think is the reason it doesn’t start.

it’s a walbro inline 255lph mounted on the frame, it builds pressure, doesn’t leak, and it gets 12v to prime when I turn the key in run, but drops to 0 after that, and no voltage while key is in start. Relay seems fine, fuse is good, intertia switch is bypassed..

one thing I see on the thunderbird wiring diagram near the pump that I don’t have in my truck and or on the Ron Francis harness is a canister purge solenoid. Don’t know why that would matter. I don’t understand what gives the pump power specifically at the moment the starter is cranking.. that seems to be the most obvious problem right now.
I’m also not using the EGR connector, it’s just unplugged..
Could it be that ultimately, the ecu is tripping? I’m not sure how to check that either.

please help me get out of my friends driveway—I want my life and my truck back!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, what it is doing is correct, there should be fuel pump 12volts for just 2 seconds with key on, then no volts(well maybe 6v no amps) until engine RPMs are higher than 400, then 12volts will come on full time
Its a safety thing in case fuel line should break in an accident, engine would stall and electric pump wouldn't feed a fire

You can cycle key on and off as much as needed to build up pressure to start engine, if your system is not holding pressure then thats another issue

Try starting engine by manually adding fuel to intake, once its above 400rpm fuel pump should come on, and any air in the system should be cleared out

Computer pin 22 GROUNDS the FP Relay to activate it, Computer is what determines 400rpm from spark module signal

Last edited:

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
Yes, what it is doing is correct, there should be fuel pump 12volts for just 2 seconds with key on, then no volts(well maybe 6v no amps) until engine RPMs are higher than 400, then 12volts will come on full time
Its a safety thing in case fuel line should break in an accident, engine would stall and electric pump wouldn't feed a fire

You can cycle key on and off as much as needed to build up pressure to start engine, if your system is not holding pressure then thats another issue

Try starting engine by manually adding fuel to intake, once its above 400rpm fuel pump should come on, and any air in the system should be cleared out

Computer pin 22 GROUNDS the FP Relay to activate it, Computer is what determines 400rpm from spark module signal
ha interesting! gonna measure the fuel pressure to be sure it’s keeping it. When I cycle on and off it does sound like it’s building pressure because I hear the pump getting whinier and whinier, struggling to push more gas through the pressurized line.

im not sure where to manually put fuel though. In a carb yes, but this is a closed line up until the fuel rail and the injectors. Will try to find more info. In any case thanks for confirming voltage is normal!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
PCV Valve hose or Power brake booster hose, any Vacuum port works to get fuel into engine, those are just the larger ones

If its turbo'ed then they may be capped off but there should still be some accessible port in the intake

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
It’s good to be reminded of that actually because actually, I’m not sure where vacuum comes from with this new engine, and maybe I capped off too much. My 2.0 had a vacuum motor on the cold air intake if I remember correctly. In this case, not sure..

new theory based on your observations. Me not having this and instead having a huge vacuum leak in the intake where the tube from egr valve to header normally is (I’m using a header that doesn’t have an egr port) is messing up the vacuum and fuel delivery:

I’m thinking: weld a pipe from egr valve hole to hole tapped into header. Hook up this vacuum solenoid (harness has a connector for it) and hook up vacuum ports to boost valve and egr valve/intake. I probably just have zero vacuum right now!

Attachments

Last edited:

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Get a fuel pressure gage, don't guess.......

Otherwise you will NEVER have any idea what is happening.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
If I remember right the egr valve does not open at idle if it’s working properly. Either way it’s not good to have the tube to the manifold broken or disconnected as it will draw air instead of exhaust and go lean.

I think the vacuum motor you’re referring to might be the actuator for the preheat flapper. There’s a damper that allows the intake hose to draw air over the outside of the exhaust manifold when the air is cold. there’s a thermostat in the air cleaner housing that allows manifold vacuum to open the valve when air temp is cold, then cuts off vacuum and allows the damper to shut when air is warm. If I remember correctly it was called a vacuum motor on the emissions diagram.

Long story short, your engine will still produce vacuum without that device. I agree you’ll want a fuel pressure gauge and probably a vacuum gauge too.

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
Get a fuel pressure gage, don't guess.......

Otherwise you will NEVER have any idea what is happening.
yep ordered one yesterday, it goes up from an AN fitting in the braided line. i wonder if it's possible to install one on the shrader valve on the fuel rail, that would be ideal.
and also, duh, I was so excited to finally have reassembled the whole engine i never even checked for spark. spark plugs are new and gapped properly but the distributor was kinda old, so checking that first thing.

If I remember right the egr valve does not open at idle if it’s working properly. Either way it’s not good to have the tube to the manifold broken or disconnected as it will draw air instead of exhaust and go lean.

I think the vacuum motor you’re referring to might be the actuator for the preheat flapper. There’s a damper that allows the intake hose to draw air over the outside of the exhaust manifold when the air is cold. there’s a thermostat in the air cleaner housing that allows manifold vacuum to open the valve when air temp is cold, then cuts off vacuum and allows the damper to shut when air is warm. If I remember correctly it was called a vacuum motor on the emissions diagram.

Long story short, your engine will still produce vacuum without that device. I agree you’ll want a fuel pressure gauge and probably a vacuum gauge too.
yeah the egr fully open is not good for sure. and vacuum gauge is a good idea. actually i think i can hook up the vacuum pump i use to bleed clutch/brakes and it will give me a reading. question is how much vacuum i should be looking for but that's gotta be on the boards somewhere. when I started the swap I was weary of adding gauges and wanted to keep everything stock-ish looking and now i'm at the point where I want to toss the entire dash bezel and make a custom wood one with space for a 2 din radio and every possible gauge to monitor everything..

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
I just sold a 92 ranger I tricked into running again. It took me awhile unfortunately, but the issue I was having was just like yours. Well, except it’s not a freaking turbo. ( I want to put turbo on my low low. So bad.) nonetheless it ended up being the purge canister causing all of the same symptoms you have. The vacuum hose comes from the bottom of the throttle body, almost right before or after the butterfly valve. Make sure that’s either capped or plumbed in. Not sure for a turbo but. Hope that helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals