• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power steering project

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
Hey guys, I got myself a new gearbox to take the slop out of my steering and a new pump to get rid of the one that failed 150 miles ago. So far I've removed the pump and disconnected the gearbox from the lower steering column and then I quit for the day.

I did not buy a new reservoir so I need to get the one I have on there off, I have removed all the power steering lines from it but the reservoir isn't giving at all. I don't see anything that's holding it on except for the nut that the high pressure line screwed into, I'm not sure if this unscrews from the reservoir so I haven't tried for fear of breaking it.

My second issue is the pitman arm, what size is the nut on it? It's bigger than 1" and I am not going to try to remove it with an adjustable wrench.

1994 Ford Ranger 4.0, automatic, 4x4, with A/C. Dana 35 Front, Ranger 8.8 back, 3.73 gears.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can't help with the reservoir. IIRC the pitman arm nut is 1 1/8".

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Can't help with the reservoir. IIRC the pitman arm nut is 1 1/8".
I've got a 1 1/16" socket and it looked too small, I'm going to see about measuring it tomorrow. It's just in such a weird spot to get at I know it's gonna be tough to remove.

I got the reservoir out, the fitting for the high pressure line is a 15/16 socket I just needed to get some better leverage on it so I put it back in the car. The reservoir came off with some coaxing once I got the fitting off. I also figured out where my power steering pump was leaking... everywhere, all the seals are blown, good thing I'm replacing the entire system.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I left the pitman arm on the gear and took to whole thing to a frame and axle shop. The guy took the thing apart in about 30 seconds and charged me 5 bucks. Getting the nut off is only about 10 percent of the work. Getting the pitman arm off the gear is the real rodeo!!!

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you know anyone that owns or works on an 18 wheeler I'm sure they'd have a

wrench/socket for you to borrow. There are pitman arm pullers(and pickle forks, since

your replacing the gearbox anyway) you could possibly rent or buy as well. If

buying/renting a puller/fork is out of the question, well hopefully you can get a good size

hammer in there and get a good enough swing to smack the living crap out of the side of

the pitman to break it loose.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I've got a pitman arm puller already, I can't use a hammer or I won't be able to return the box for the core charge. I only had those two questions, I'm sure I'll have more when I get to installing the new equipment.

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Right on with the puller, but I said to hit the side of the pitman arm itself, not the gearbox...

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
So until getting into this I thought the cooler in front of my radiator was a power steering cooler since I've read that they were put in Rangers. However now that I've actually looked at it the lines do not run to the gearbox or pump but they run to the transmission, so I know this also is not stock. Anyway, did 1994 Rangers come with power steering coolers? Because until now I was under the impression that they did...

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I personally have never seen one, but by no stretch does that mean they do not exist. If your worried about it, you could always get a small aftermarket cooler and route it into the system. Ive installed quite a few over the years on many different vehicles, never had any come back with trouble.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'm not worried about it, actually I'm happy. It looks like it was done good so it's the only thing the previous owner did that I like.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals