• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Steering not working...leave it?

Initialjoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups
When I bought my truck earlier this year the Power steering wasn't working. However, at that time the brakes and transmission were a larger issue so I have taken care of those issues and have finally gotten the truck running right. I have been running without power steering for at least 2000 miles or so.

When I pour fluid into the reservoir the power steering will whine, half-work, and then stop whining/working as the fluid rapidly leaks out of the reservoir. I haven't added fluid into it for a while, but I would assume it would do the same thing if I added fluid. Do I only have to replace this reservoir? Or have I damaged something by running without fluid? The belt/pulley has been working fine, it has just been difficult to turn without the power steering. Also, can I just leave it without the power steering? I don't mind, it's just annoying in parking lots.

These might be stupid questions, but this is my first vehicle with power steering issues.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The PS fluid lubes and cools the bearings in the pump that the shaft for the pulley runs on. They will fail eventually, and the pump will seize up. You either need to fix that leak or find an idler from a PS delete truck.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I removed the PS from my truck and put in a manual gear box. I prefer that and have gotten used to it...parking can be a pain, especially on a extended cab...but you get used to it...and I usually park farther away where there are more spots to choose from...

Haven't driven it since changing the manual box over (new truck or rebuild rather) but I drove my other one for about five years with the manual steering...

I've been trying to sell my PS unit for a few months and nobody interested so far...but you might have a bit of a problem finding an older used unit that isn't leaking...buy a new one if you want to keep it and you won't regret the added cost...if they're still available.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

Initialjoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Okay, I need to fix it then. That's why I was asking - didn't know if it was safe to drive with it the way it is. I have no idea where it is leaking from...that'll have to be be next weekends project.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good to see they can be found...

Most common leaks are the O rings around the lines where they are supposed to seal...replacement rings can be had also...there are actually a few threads on here about people fixing the leaks from O rings...so not hard to do as long as you get the right part.

Initialjoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I suppose my bigger concern is that I messed it up by running it without fluid for so long.

Is it hard to get parts for Ford Rangers from the 90s? I didn't think I would have that problem with these since I see a few trucks of my body style running around my town.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If you run the pump 'dry', without fluid, the 'slippers' inside the pump will score the pump body, making the pump whine and possibly not develop pressure. The gear box is likely undamaged.
If you think the pump will work, and don't mind the noise, you can buy a complete seal kit from your dealer and re-seal the pump if that is the leak. If not, the hoses can be replaced without a lot of difficulty. It will just be noisy.
tom

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oh that pump is super common. It was used in a lot of things for a very long time, so getting one, even after market should be extremely easy.

Initialjoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Oh that pump is super common. It was used in a lot of things for a very long time, so getting one, even after market should be extremely easy.
Alright, I thought so! That's one of the reasons I got my Ranger. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals