• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Steering Leak, Adjust Sector Shaft?

DasBroncon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
TL;DR: Can a sector shaft adjustment stop a leak? Is it better to replace the box, or rebuild it?

So my steering has been leaking about 2 weeks now. It started when my brakes blew out on the trail because my tires were rubbing the brake lines. I had to steer the truck with the engine off all the way to the trailhead while strapped to another trucks front bumper acting as my brakes. After all that I noticed power steering fluid dripping off my pitman arm, my friend said it was from steering with the engine off and it should go away in a few days or else I will need to replace my steering box. I started reading up on the steering box rebuild. Then a couple days ago I broke down at a gas station for a completely different reason and met a guy who used to have a ranger and he said I should just adjust the sector shaft. He pointed it out to me and told me to loosen it some amount and then tighten the nut on it and back it off some amount but I don't remember what those amounts where. Upon further research here, I couldn't find any threads or articles explaining this process. So I guess I want to know if anyone has ever done that to fix a leak, maybe in addition to using stop-leak, and if not, should I go ahead with the rebuild kit, or is the warranty and simplicity of a full box replacement worth the money.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When the truck is off and you turn the steering wheel side to side you will lose fluid out the top of the steering resevour. Are you positive that the sector shaft seal is leaking or did you over fill the power steering resevour? Going full lock to lock with the truck running will cause the resevour to leak out the top. Turning the wheels side to side with the truck off won't ruin the seal for the sector shaft either. All adjusting the sector shaft does is loosen or tighten your steering and may move the seal to a different spot on the sector shaft. Check you power steering fluid with the truck running to see where the level is and go from there. Go to the car wash and wash the area where the power steering fluid is and keep and eye on it from that point.

If you do end up having to replace the seal weigh your options for a rebuilt box.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
FYI, The seal kit at the pitman arm is about 10 bucks, and easily replacable ON the vehicle.

DasBroncon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I know the resevour is not overfilled, it leaks down over time till it's almost dry and then I refill it. I have had to refill it many times. The fluid leaks down from the pitman arm so I assume it is from the sector shaft. I'm not very well educated on steering tech. I talked to my dad about it today (I'm 1st year in college) and he said replacing the whole box sounds better because it could potentially save us a massive headache if it keeps leaking after we replace the seals.

brinker88 are you saying the pitman seal can be done without removing the whole box? Maybe we will give that a shot before we try replacing the box itself.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, remove drag link, remove pitman arm (get the correct pitman arm puller). There's a whole writeup around here somewhere...hold on, I'll find it.

Edit:

Cant find it but I'll tell you that there is a snap ring, an inner/outer seal, and a dust shield. And FYI, it's a PITA to get the pitman arm off if you live in the rust belt.

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can do the seal with the box still on the truck. But if you don't know what you are doing and are unsure....especially if you don't have the right tools a new box is the way to go and with a warranty.

DasBroncon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up a new box today, thanks for all the advice. I have almost no experience with steering components so I thought the full replacement would be a better idea, thanks for helping me make up my mind!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals