• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power steering hoses

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
I bought new power steering hoses early October from O'Reilly, the precision brand. Three weeks later both started to leak at the gear box, removed both for warranty exchange. A week before Thanksgiving they were leaking again, exchanged them under warranty again..yesterday they are leaking again..I have talked to my new mechanic, he gave me some ideas..I acted on that and no fix. Is precision hoses garbage?

I have done these over the years and not every had an issue as this. I ordered the gates hoses from O'Reillys. Does anybody know what might be causing this?

I am fed up with this and don't wanna do this again..don't have the funds to have my mechanic do it.

Please help..

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I bought new power steering hoses early October from O'Reilly, the precision brand. Three weeks later both started to leak at the gear box, removed both for warranty exchange. A week before Thanksgiving they were leaking again, exchanged them under warranty again..yesterday they are leaking again..I have talked to my new mechanic, he gave me some ideas..I acted on that and no fix. Is precision hoses garbage?

I have done these over the years and not every had an issue as this. I ordered the gates hoses from O'Reillys. Does anybody know what might be causing this?

I am fed up with this and don't wanna do this again..don't have the funds to have my mechanic do it.

Please help..
Possibly what happened to me is happening to you?

Had the same problem on my 1986 with the 2.9. Wet and oily around the fitting on top of the steering box. Bought a new line, cleaned the area up and installed it, no leak. Looked under there a few days later, leaking. Replaced the line, cleaned it all up again with brake cleaner, ran it, not leaking. A few days later, leaking again.

I finally happened to notice the power steering pump was a little damp underneath. Come to find out, the power steering pump was what was leaking, the oil would run around the body of the pump and guess where the lowest part of the pump was where the oil dripped off? Right over top the fitting on top of the gear box. I replaced the pump and it finally dried up, it was not the hose fitting all along, it was the pump.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I quit buying parts store hoses years ago for this very reason - they never last. Instead I converted all to AN fittings and have hoses made up at one of the hydraulic hose shops like a Parker Store.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
I did the pump in 2018, its not that it's the hoses. I installed the gates hoses last week, been watching over each time it's driven.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
".don't have the funds to have my mechanic do it."

Hi, this should be something you should be able to track down and fix pretty easily. from yesterday... is it still leaking?

here is what i would do if in this boat ... take a hose and some engine de-greaser (even at a car wash will work) and soak and clean all the parts and the frame for a good cleaning, then give the whole area a good visual look over.

climb underneath and look up for any leaks. if you see something then it is a starting place.

the return hose isn't under much pressure, so that is an easy to spot leak, the other line is under pressure, so have some one turn the wheel while sticking your hand around the line(s) and feeling for wetness.... this will 100% give the leaking area.

if it is the pressured line, i would google hydraulic hose shops near you, take off the hose, (are they the proper fittings?) and get a custom hose made up.

cheers

(just looked your profile... is your truck jacked up? if so, your lines long enough?) 6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals