• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Steering Fluid Change Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon LV

DangerRanger2004FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered some Mercon V to replace my transmission fluid and power steering, but was sent Mercon LV by mistake. Before realizing this, I put it in my power steering system. It seemed to quiet down and improve things a bit. Then realized my mistake, bought NAPA Mercon (made by Valvoline) and did the job again with that because I read it was the correct fluid - but it seems to have gotten a little louder again.

I have yet to try Mercon V in there...

Anyone have any advice here? Is Mercon LV fine? I have plenty of extra now...

Should I stick with the Mercon? Try Mercon V?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I know the LV was formulated to be used in transfer cases.

There was some recent discussions on all of this and I can't remember where it ended up honestly.

Seems there are enough questions on the subject that it might be worth putting together an article to capture where the fluid specs lead us today.

Maybe try a search on the forum and see what you find.

Hopefully others will chime in.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I know the LV was formulated to be used in transfer cases.

There was some recent discussions on all of this and I can't remember where it ended up honestly.

Seems there are enough questions on the subject that it might be worth putting together an article to capture where the fluid specs lead us today.

Maybe try a search on the forum and see what you find.

Hopefully others will chime in.
As of 2017, Mercon 5 and LV were NOT approved for transfer cases- Ford released a dedicated transfer case fluid that met Mercon specs after they discontinued Mercon transmission fluid- that they sold for $12 a quart in 2017. Motorcraft "Power Steering Fluid" also meets Mercon specs.
LV may work OK for power steering fluid but aftermarket Mercon is available and cheap, I'd flush it out just to be safe.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
As of 2017, Mercon 5 and LV were NOT approved for transfer cases- Ford released a dedicated transfer case fluid that met Mercon specs after they discontinued Mercon transmission fluid- that they sold for $12 a quart in 2017. Motorcraft "Power Steering Fluid" also meets Mercon specs.
LV may work OK for power steering fluid but aftermarket Mercon is available and cheap, I'd flush it out just to be safe.
You could very well be right Walt but there is this published on the Motorcraft site.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I stand corrected, as of 2017 what I posted was true. When Mercon V came out we were told to never put it in transmissions that called for Mercon, then Ford discontinued Mercon and it became OK to use Mercon V. We were told never use Mercon V in transfer cases and they released the expensive dedicated transfer case fluid, apparently that's changed, too. OR- Mercon V might be acceptable for 2012 and newer transfer cases and they've forgotten about the older Touch Drive and V8 Explorer AWD transfer cases. As long as Mercon spec fluid is available that's what will be in my power steering.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
That's why it could be useful to put something together for fluids.

Someone asked for a correction in the Tech Library awhile back. A couple of us dug into it and it's all confusing.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I lost faith in Ford's fluid recommendations after all that went down. I've seen (and experienced myself) many a M5OD shifting illness with Mercon V (and unfortunately the problem doesn't seem to go away by switching back to regular Mercon again either.... Maybe if you change out the fluid 10 or more times (driving a few hundred miles each time) it might, but I don't have the $$$ to waste on fluid just to (not?) find out). I agree Ford turned this whole ATF thing into a royal mess of confusion when they canceled the licensing for Mercon.

Aftermarket Mercon fluids are now labeled "Dex/Merc" or simply "Multi-Vehicle ATF" or something similar since they can't be labeled "Mercon" anymore. A look on the back label of the bottle should confirm that it meets the original Mercon specification. I strongly recommend against using Mercon V unless the application specifically calls for it from the outset (which would be the case for the auto trans in your 2004).

DangerRanger2004FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks all, I went with the Mercon from NAPA I had in there. I flushed it a bit more and it seems to have gotten quieter as the air bled out. Also did my transfer case with the Mercon and the front and rear diffs with Motorcraft 80-90 and friction modifier in the rear. So far everything I took out was a bit better than expected as I wasn't sure how well the truck had been serviced before I owned it (bought around 190k now at 238). Gonna do the trans this weekend.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For this 2001 V6~4.0L~SOHC many years now without issues, using
MerconV Valvoline in 5r55e Trans (HandPump DipTube 1qtRefresh every 6mths, PanDrop+Filter+Gasket 7qtChange every 33k Miles),
MerconV Valvoline in Steering (HandPump Reservoir 1/2qtRefresh every 6mths),
MerconLV ValvolineMaxLife in 1354 TCase (Drain+Change every 33k Miles).

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Pretty sure old gen 1 power steering calls for Ford type F fluid.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals